1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Top Five Console Games of the Year 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

For those wondering about the rest of the top 10... the list is as follows:

10 - Braid
    9 - Dead Space
    8 - Burnout Paradise
    7 - Left 4 Dead
    6 - Metal Gear Solid 4

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Presumably, the multiplayer element of GTA IV is an important deciding factor too?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i thought Mirror's Edge is reported to be too repetitive.

GTA4 totally win that one, without the technical difficulties of PC version, it is simply the best game across all platforms.

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Might have to pick Mirrors Edge up for a look (Tesco has it for £15 when it has stock)

6. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

surprised gta iv managed to make it to #1 -- would have thought it'd have been a little lower.

i'm amused l4d only made it to #7 on the console, yet got to #1 on the pc, even though it feels so much like a console game it's unreal.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm suprised about GTAIV as well, the multiplayer was tacked on at the last minute and despite not having many "glitches" was so poorly balanced it was unreal, the game itself didn't give me much replay value and I got rid of it about 2 weeks after I got it.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah while I certainly thought GTA was good, I didn't think it was GotY since it was basically more of the same with a different engine.

Also surprised to see L4D so low, I think I voted for L4D, Fallout 3, can't remember my third, though at the time I had not played GoW2 and Mirrors Edge which are both awesome games.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I would have slotted mirror's edge in to the "most disappointing" list. I just found it incredibly tedious for some reason. Maybe I missed something :worried:

10. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

GTA4 =/= GOTY ¬_¬

I preferred Gears Of War 2 and little big planet to that.

11. Lilliput King

Lilliput King What's a Dremel?

Words cannot describe quite how much I yearn for a PC port of LittleBigPlanet :(

I didn't really find L4D to be particularly consoley itazura. It didn't have that peculiarly slow, floaty combat that console fps have. In fact it was pretty fast paced in terms of gunplay, more Counter Strike than Half Life.

12. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

L4D definatly is more of a PC game ported to 360. the way it should be done.

too many games have gone the way of Bioshock... :(

13. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i dunno -- i'm probably just more used to console fps' than i thought. not that it's a problem. it saves me a lot of money in the long term.

14. ChArMz

ChArMz What's a Dremel?

what is sooo awsome about this little big world?

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it cannot be described, just play it.

16. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I'd say it was a pretty good year for gaming, I mostly agree with this list but I'd have to agree with what other folks have said about Mirror's Edge. It really wasn't good as everyone was hoping. I loved me some L4D but I feel like the PC version gets a big boost from user-created mods and content that the console version won't ever have access to. I personally have the 360 version and it's definitely a good game but it's replayability is hamstrung a bit by the lack of access to mods.

My biggest console disappointment this year has to be Fable 2. I definitely enjoyed the game and they made numerous little improvements but the story just has too many moments that had me scratching my head thinking "Did they not even care about the story at all?" for it to be a real winner in my book.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

They do games on consoles too?
    How odd.

18. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

People still play games on the pc?
    What a peculiar bunch

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Mirror's Edge in front of lbp and gow2? How very odd.

GTA4 deserves to be first, it is imo the best in the series. The city feels more full of life, the missions are more involving and seat of your pants action.

It'd be a toss up between lbp and gow2 for 2nd and third. Having only played the first gow, I found it playable but very unforgiving and repetitive. I can only assume that gow2 improves on this, which would make it a pretty good game.

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

While I've never laid hands on a PS3, for fear of contracting terminal ****witism and thereby the inclination to start wearing football shirts, the fact remains that anything Gears is hideously bland. It's simultaneously so widely lauded that nothing more is required to prove the point that console owners are braying cattle, wilfully quiescent in the face of profiteering reductivism and led happily to gorge at the grey, goo-filled trough of mass market entertainment. The high-pitched, braying laugh of Gears' pre-teen fanbase is on the edge of hearing even as I type.

"im playin gears and it r well wikid! WTFBBQROFLCOPTERSKATES sony Cheesecake HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE"

It is the job of sites like Bit-Tech to inform these poor, lost, unfortunate beings; to introduce their wizened little Sony logo'd souls to real computer games, not to assist the corporate mundanity machine in ramming evermore bland, cripplingly average and inoffensive drivel down their throats. It's as bad as bloody Halo, for crying out loud. Gears of War (2) is not a good game. What you actually mean is "it looks pretty". This is not the same thing.

Bad Bit-Tech.

Bad.

Tags: Add Tags