1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory A little question about ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nuffenburger, 7 Jan 2009.

1. Nuffenburger

Nuffenburger The Burgerman Can

I hope this is in the right section.
    It's been pondering in my noggin for about eh... 2 weeks ish.
    If ram is so cheap for us to buy. e.g. ddr2 800mhz 1gb for around $15 aus *im from australia*.
    Then how much does it cost for big manufacturers to make.
    i know theres a reason for why they only make such small sticks e.g. 1gb 2gb etc because no operating system needs anymore.
    but if they wanted to move on, e.g. with the ssd hard drives and such expanding the upgradeability of today's PC. then why don't they just do it.
    I'm sure with the cheapness that ddr2 is they could surely either decrease the price of ddr3 or make ddr2 faster.
    Not that it matters all that much, seeings the software is a bit of a let down.
    That just leaves me pondering more. Why doesn't the next Bill Gates stand up and say. you know what. I am going to make a Highly Overrated insanely powerful operating system that will take a cpu of such strengths to actually boot up that it will bring the world into a state where the time it takes to boot up a computer will be calculated in miliseconds if not nano seconds. e.g. on futuristic movies where they say. Computer on its automatically on.
    No boot screens, No logo's to run through. etc.
    I am pretty sure it would take. Years. if not Decades for this software to be available for the home computer but still.
    Imagine the speed's/ data transfer rates/ etc.
    e.g. Internet 2, i don't know if its all it is cracked up to be but if people out there could perfect the speeds to make it so that it takes seconds to download updates for programs/games/service packs. etc.
    Then im sure it would make that person/persons who created it. Very Very wealthy, I don't know what im going on about to be honest.
    But i know there are some people out there still wondering why we don't have the technology that is clearly available, its just the lack of interest.

This topic is also open for flaming etc. as i don't really mind about the last 3 quarters. but maybe bit-tech could do an article about how much ram really does cost.
    That's if they know. which im sure they have some knowledge of.
    Also. to moderators/admins if you wish to delete this post. atleast only delete the parts that aren't just random. i really do want to know how much ram costs to make by a manufacturer.

Cheers Nuffenburger

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

You would only sell one such a product once to each person, then they would never buy from you again.

Simply put, you can't make something perfect, or you will go out of business.

Look at microsoft, they have been selling the same people new os's over decades, thats genius from a business point of view, make people pay again and again and again for a small improvements, or take intel, when they launched the c2d, they could have launched them at 3Gz without trouble, but no, they made you buy one at 2, then 2,5 then 3, thats 3 times the money for them.

Remember, companies exist to make money, not to provide you with anything.

3. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

unless you charge monthly/yearly for it then a perfect product is the best.
    and if you keep making a purposely flawed product your competition will sneak up and overtake you.
    obviously doesnt apply to microsoft who has no rival that majorly threatens it

*edit i know you cant charge monthly for ram but for softwares and services

4. Nuffenburger

Nuffenburger The Burgerman Can

i know where your coming from with the non perfect products. but once somebody comes up with the knowledge to surpass microsoft then who is going to be their competition, that is if they surpass them so much that microsoft drop their jaws to the ground and think . WOW. we have brought out two operating systems in the last few years *roughly saying windows 7 and vista, and this one company has just bought out a big whopping operating system and has conquered our work of more than 2 decades pretty much.
    I know microsoft won't be to scared though. cause many Millions & billions of people think of microsoft and don't know of other operating systems out there etc.