1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text link ads

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Tim S, 10 Feb 2009.

?

What do you think about text ads?

1. I don't mind them and I might find them useful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll accept them if it means even more content

39 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I would block them and blacklist all other adverts on bit-tech

82 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. I hate them and would visit the site less as a result

129 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

bit-tech is currently one of three websites i have whitelisted on adblock. intellitxt is the worst, most intrusive, form of advertising there is online, and if you introduced it i would lose most of my respect for the site. i would have absolutely no problem blocking ads, and i would not visit the site from school or anywhere else that i used a computer with no adblock.

the mere fact that you are asking this question scares me.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The most annoying and intrusive method of advertising, for me it's one of the biggest turn offs when browsing a site.
    Yeah, I hate them.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Having thought about it again... I didn't change my mind. Still hate them with passion. I can only agree with everyone saying it's the worst/most annoying method of advertising.

I read your articles/guides/... for the content. If I wanted flashy pictures I could randomly google images but it's the content that keeps me entertained here. If you start using that content as advertising space and it ruins my reading experience [which intellitxt adverts are successful at... the only thing they're good for by the way] I'll get very very angry.

BT has been my homepage since Orac and I don't really like change :worried: but seriously... please don't, it'll only cost you [more than] a few readers.

//edit: I promise to click on even more banner ads if you want me to. :D

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I voted wrong! I would block them.

Wait a second, I just saw a screenshot in another thread, is intelltext or whatever the hell it's called, are they those stupid little popups that tend to hover and move on the screen?

If bit-tech is seriously thinking about those.....lol

I would consider it adware and sites that use them are infected.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2009
  5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I believe GOO said it best.

They add nothing, are poorly targeted, very distracting, require a crapload of extra advertising scripts, etc.

6. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Infesting the site with intellitxt links is the worst thing you could possibly do and I would lose a lot of respect for you guys. Surely you realise how annoying they are - just stand up to dennis and tell them where to shove them.

7. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

+1 for TxtLinks are evil and Bit would be selling out even if it meant more content.

8. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I'm glad I found out I'm not the only one hating those ads, thought it was just me being weird. I agree on the opinion that it makes a site look cheap and low quality, and those are the words that I really don't want to mention when I'm talking about Bit-tech.

9. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Hate them, hate them, hate them, hate them.

Banner Ads are tolerable since they relate to the content presented on this site, Paypal Donations are even better (especially if it comes with an e-penis enhancement like a shiny user name or a little badge that says donator :D)

Hiren likes this.
  10. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

2nd what everyone else has said, they are really intrusive on your browsing experience and it makes sites look ugly and cheap.

:nono:

Why not just have donations go towards enlarging your e-penis! :lol:

B==================D - Well done, you've donated £12.52 so far!

11. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

One of the most annoying forms of advertising. The popups are blocking the content resulting in having to interact with them to get them to go away and that's annoying when you're reading. Please consider this "experiment" to be a failure and make them go away. More often than not when I pull up a site and the content has these I rarely hang around long enough to read the story.

Hiren likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Hate them, in fact I hate the flash adverts to, makes my little netbook choke and wastes my battery power so much that I am forced to use flashblock so rarely see them, what was wrong with simple images eh, I'm mean when I'm in power save mode some ads are taking 90% CPU, just turned mine on and found one, the BFG Tech advert is a prime example :mad: , it's damn inconsiderate, how I long for the old days.

13. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

One of the main reasons I like bit-tech over other similar sites is the absence of intellitext, please get rid of it as it just gets in the way of the content you're trying to deliver. Banner ads are ok, no problems with them as you can gloss over them knowing where they're going to be and they don't get in the way of the content, however with the intellitext you accidentally mouse over it and it obscures a whole bunch of what you're trying to look at.

Hiren likes this.
  14. Slavedriver

Slavedriver What's a Dremel?

On the subject of banner ads I had to block them on bit-tech because they are also quite annoying. There was this Corsair USB key ad on the right side which kept sliding the USB key at some intervals. While reading the article I thought I was having hallucinations when it was trying to grab my attention.
    Static ads and text ads are the way to go. Intellitext is the way to go if you want to be featured on the "Most Obnoxious and Stupid Advertising" list. Intellitext is known for being as intelli as advertising plane tickets in the articles about plane crashes.

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

...I was just about to finish typing this when Firefox crashed for the fourth time today as I opened a new bit-tech page.
    Text ads, bad. Flashing/strobing ads, bad (see ninjavideos for some awful examples). Subtle, relevant ads around the page, tolerable.

The maximum I find tolerable is ones in a "cut out" of an article like you often have at the top right of an article. I was going to find an example when FF crashed.

edit: for example at the top of the Dragon Age preview. Incidentally, that just caused the fifth crash of the day, of which me looking for an advert of that page comprises two.

edit2:
    This has been an issue for me as well, those BFG ads are awful. If I am using my old laptop or trying to save battery then I do disable them. On my phone I have disabled flash for that reason. No need most of the time.

Someone else mentioned ideas of where to put additional ads. How about here? There is loads of spare space!
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=147&pictureid=885

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I just had a shifty at the intellitxt advert your testing on the dragon age preview, and oh goody it's got sound. [/Sarcasm]. So now they pop up blocking the actual article, jump around till you can kill it, play jerky video and now deafen you as well. Can I vote to blacklist twice? I like the fact that Bit has links in articles to other interesting articles and information I don't want to have to double check before I click to see if I'm going to a another article or to a advert for nothing relevant.

Hiren likes this.
  17. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Damn straight. IntelliTXT is the single most annoying type of advertising ever.

Hiren likes this.
  18. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I did not know there where ADs on this site.......... seriously I just jumped through a lot of the pages on this site. The only AD that shows up is IPod Nano's AD.

I use Protowall that blocks millions of IPs even when I do not have my browser open. I use Firefox with ADBlock Plus and NoScript. and regularly update the blacklist as i see fit.

I do not intentionally block ADs on this site, but if its blocking similair ADs from other sites it will be blocking BitTechs also.

I can temporally unblock Ads while browsing BitTech and then when I leave it will begin blocking again. hhhmmm.....

19. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

IntelliTXT sucks. Stick to banner ads. And please don't ever put talking ads onto the pages...

Hiren likes this.
  20. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I had to come back and say...what the hell fellow members? :) I thought the majority of every body on this site would have "Master of the Internet" browser setups. I surf a clean website no matter where I go. All I see is the website it self. Maybe a banner or two,...maybe,..... but never a popup or IntelliText. AND for crying out loud, I defiantly have "DoubleClick" blocked. All this crying about ADs...... I would of never knew about this if nothing was said. Jeez I thought I was with anal computer geeks. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.