Gaming The Complete Guide to Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/02/18/what-s-going-on-behind-the-scenes/

See my blog. :)

2. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

This is a great guide!
    I hope it helps me to become a better player, a better teacher to new players, and a less annoying player to the seasoned player.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay this is the last game that I would think would need a guide lol, shoot the zombies and get to the safe house, nothing more then that lol. I mean come on it gives you all the tips during screen loads lol....

4. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Ah well, fair enough then. I didn't read it seeing as I thought that I already had :D. I might have another look (if you give me cookies).

5. sagittary

sagittary What's a Dremel?

The way fire works on tanks was changed. Instead of being a separate timer, fire now eats away at a tanks normal health.

Aside from a few spelling errors, decent general guide and I learned a few things, though I was hoping that would be more specifics and what not. As it is, it's less of a complete strategy guide and more of a 'this is what's in the game' sort of guide. I had expected more strategies with examples, perhaps some level pointers, and things of that nature. Though, to be fair, given the somewhat randomized nature of the game, it's not quite possible to plan on certain situations.

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

To be fair to the writer, they covered the only L4D strategy, teamwork.

7. sagittary

sagittary What's a Dremel?

True - though some people seem to have a skewed version of what teamwork is and isn't. Some players see it as "Everyone follow me and protect me at all costs and if you don't, you're a bad team player!" Others, in their good intentions, may dumpster dive behind a wall where it is easily defended... but well separated from the rest of the team who is out in the open and unable to at least provide covering fire.

The part in the guide about only looking for goodies if everyone else does too is a good basic example. More complex ideas that aren't always common sense would be good for those that don't already have a working knowledge of the game. And covering more tangential items would be neat - tips on how to use voice (ie stick to short and simple "Hunter. Window." rather than speaking it all out "There's a hunter somewhere in one of those windows across the street.").

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

You've not played Expert or Versus i take it then?

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

again basic common sense comes into play, so ya still dont really see the need for a guide but ehh to each their own.

10. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I just purchased the game for 24.99 US, a weekend special for Valve. I think its worth snatching up the games on specials a few months later. This article could not come at a better time for me. I'm excited to start playing tonight.

11. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

common sense, if only the majority of players had it, especially newbs:

i love it when they try to circle strafe...right into the horde
    they're just plain chicken, and prefer that you stand in front while they plug away with an auto-shotty.
    they must shoot the hunter or smoker off, you'll have to wait a sec while they reload.
    your being hanged, and they are standing next to you...see above
    must use grenades asap
    hog everything

the list goes on

12. NeonSamurai1972

NeonSamurai1972 What's a Dremel?

Well I confess I'm a rage quitter, but I think that's down to the nature of the game. If you get fed up with 'cheats' on a 20-a-side 2142 map then it's no biggie if you go. But when you make up 25% of the opposing team that can spoil the fun. Although from my perspective I play these games for fun, so have given up with versus mode, and greatly prefer campaign games, simply because if a group of strangers go up against a team of organised friends then it's a turkey shoot.

13. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

One other aspect of Hunters I find pretty amusing and effective is if you cant get them just yet without dieing quickly, just get close to them and make as much noise as possible to play mind games. This totally rattles their nerves and has them looking over their collective backs constantly, which makes it easier for the other Infected to attack the distracted Survivors

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

You say never turn off flashlight - ever.
    I do, in light areas, because it doesn't attract common infected as much. Most of my usual team does the same too.

15. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

Is there any way to adjust the field of view? This game, like HL2, gives me motion sickness issues, unlike other first person shooters.

I'd love to play it, though, so if it's possible to change this, and not have the game say I'm cheating or anything, that'd be fantastic.

16. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

Similar kind of guide must be provided for FALLOUT 3

17. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

You're talking about idle infected in co-op advanced I take it? The only time I have dangerous encounters are during rushes and they tend to home in on you flashlight or no. I've always found it counterproductive to switch the flash off, I used to do it when we were all really paranoid. I've never really come across it since, I'm more of an area clearer than a sneaker.

I'd be interested to know if you were tiptoeing around them; could be a fun way to play through. On the other hand I do like to keep the idles well and truly culled, whenever possible.

Tags: Add Tags