1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell 2408 good enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenny_Y8S, 31 Jan 2009.

1. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a Dell 2408 to either supplement or replace one of my two 20" 2001FP (Would have to throw in another graphics card to run 3).

The Dell can supposedly calibrate well, so it'll be great for photo editing. I can't "downgrade" from the 2001's as they are great panels, just showing their age a bit now.

I was to go 24" as my i7/285OC will cope with it fine and I can getter decent 1:1 from bluray. Plus my main laptop has a 1920/1200 screen and now I'm using the i7 rig more I'm finding 1600x1200 a bit cramped.

But is the Dell good enough for casual gaming? Anyone bought one and really regret it? I don't have any issues with the 2001s so not really scared of input lag on the 24" I can't believe it would be worse than on the 20"

Ta

Jen

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The 2408WFP will be much, much better quality than your 2001FP's. Go for it.

Input lag issues were fixed on the A01 version. I have the A00 and input lag isn't a problem for me. :)

cpemma and Diosjenin like this.
  3. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

^^ I was just going to comment on potential (though quite minimal) input lag, but apparently that's been fixed. Learn something new every day, I guess. +1.

That was really going to be my only warning about them. Other than that, they're absolutely fantastic panels. I keep waiting for them to release a 2409 that's actually 1920x1200 in that really sleek new style that the 3009 has now, but it's looking like they may not. Sad day.

...so, yeah, go for it.

- Diosjenin -

4. kesa20

kesa20 spaceman

An alternative would be the E2400HD from Benq. It's full hd 16:9, so comes with a resolution of 1920x1080, HDMI input and also a pretty design for a reasonable price. I have one myself and it got pretty good reviews on other tech sites as well.

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Nice monitor but as she'll be using it for image editing she really needs better than a TN panel :thumb:

Last edited: 26 Feb 2009
  6. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Agreed. TN is good for gaming, not so good for anything that requires a larger color gamut.

Oh, and I know this is a tech site, and habits are hard to break, but if username or signatory are anything to go by... well, you're not dealing with a 'he.' ;)

- Diosjenin -

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

:blush: They are indeed hard to break, many apologies Jen!

8. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

Just make sure you're not using it primarily for gaming.

As oasked said, they fixed some of the input lag issues with A01, but it's still a REALLY slow IPS panel.

But when it comes to colour, it's simply beautiful.

9. Dozer42

Dozer42 What's a Dremel?

Running a 2407 here, love it. =]

10. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Well I've been running with the 2408 for a couple of week now an I love it. For photos & media it's brilliant, great colours and a great range. First monitor I've ever had that I was happy with at both the top and bottom end at once

And for gaming, well for someone at my level it's wonderful. My 285 runs everything happily at 1920x1200 and there is only a slight increase in lag compared to my 20" 2001s. You never notice it when doing anything, but you can just about see it when you drag a window up and down between monitors.

Downsides for me is the stand is a little low, my 2001s go another 4" higher and I had to get used to running my monitors lower.

Also as gets talked about on the interweb the backlight is not 100% even, my left far side is ever so slightly lighter than it should be. If I look for it and create exactly the right circumstances I can see it, but 99.9% of the time I can't see it even when I look for it. If had paid £1k+ for the screen I'd be unhappy, but at the price of the dell I can't complain.

Summary = If you're worred about lag on a 2408 then worry about something else more important as everything else is lovely.

11. Stig

Stig What's a Dremel?

I'm currently running that very combo (2001fp and 2408) and have to say its great :) I just wish I could afford another 24in.

12. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I quite like the 24+20" combination, I used to run 3 2001 screens and found that I found myself leaving one not used to its potential as the total "width" was just too great with three and I could stick with two and keep my head from going crazy.

13. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

You could have a look at the HP LP2475w, very nice monitor...

EDIT: For those who have not bought the Dell 2408WFP...

Glad you're happy with it.
    ________
    Gun Vaporizer

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  14. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

As said I've been living the 2408 now for a couple of weeks, am very happy with it