1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ unveils lightning fast PCI-E x8 SSD RAID

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Probably more than i'll ever afford

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That'll have to be at least a grand, but you get what you pay for clearly.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

please tell me bit are trying everything in their power to get ahold of one of these things for testing!

that is just beastly, even if its ugly as all hell

5. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

Fastest on the market? Are you not counting Fusion IO ? Which can do 700MB/s

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Do you reckon it's worth putting on my birthday list...?

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I want your uncles!

Pricing for this will run around $4k. I dont suppose anyone will bother putting one in a gaming machine for that money...
    It would be AWESOME for a SFF build though, with the LanParty JR X58 board. Use this thing and get rid of the need for HDD racks, SATA cables or power cabling completely! A slimline CD player underneath the mobo and you have your system reduced to a mobo and a PSU, no other components needed!

8. eldiablo

eldiablo What's a Dremel?

It seems to me that its just some components put together. (http://tweakers.net/ext/i/1236107270.jpeg)
    They are using the RocketRaid 3520 which by default also has the 256mb of memory, so its probably 4x250gb or something like that.
    So all in all it should be pretty easy building it yourself for less money (depending on the price of the entire package and the used ssd's)
    Also seems like a lot of ssd manufactures are going with raid technology lately.
    Nice specs but ive got mixed feelings about it :p

//edit:
    Just looked for the price
    470€ (~410£?) for the rocketraid controller
    Lets say we take the ocz v2 series 250GB which is about 650€ (580£) (which will probably be the ssd's they will use)

470 + 4x650 = 3070€ (2730£)

So i really do wonder how much they will ask for this package, because essentially its just a package.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  9. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Yeah, I was going to say; they've had products out for over a year now, IIRC. This is nothing new, unless it's considerably cheaper (very unlikely.)

10. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Why do you guys even post news like this when 99.9999% of the community can't afford such things.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

oh don't worry, we'll be able to afford such performance in 10 years time ;)

12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

You kidding?

In 10 years time, this will be out of date ;)

13. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Because keeping up on technology and who's doing what is important to some people. Ever heard of any corporations investing in new hardware? When something is shown at a show like cebit/ces it shows where the technology is leading, what the current standards are and where they are going. As to pricing, I agree all but a handful of people would shell that out, however, corporate purchasers need to be able to shop different companies for competitive pricing , performance, and sometimes because they just have bad experiences with some companies and want to move on.

Keep up the news, even if "99.9999% of the community can't afford such things." bit-tech, we still want to know what's out there!

14. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

I agree with the last comment.. great work bit-tech!

15. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Indeed.... even if it is ridiculously expensive, its always good to be informed on what's out there and what we can expect to see in the future.

Besides, anyone remember when flat panels were expensive as hell? Now they are very reasonably priced.

16. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

this thing is so daft
    its still MLC SSD's in the end, i bet its IOPS is way less than the fusionIO card making it worse for server usage anyway
    how about you fix the stuttering issue and give us some fast <100gig reasonably priced SSDs

17. Goty

Goty Minimodder

It's faster than 700MB/s in some tests, even reaching almost 1500MB/s in at least one test I've seen.

18. dec

dec [blank space]

like intel core i7/2 extreme? i expect this and that to end up in the "its there and so expensive its worthless" category

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK, would you like 500W PSU news?

Yaaaaaaaay....

20. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

While I do agree with you on the keeping up with what technologies are coming out etc... I do have to disagree with you on the corporations investing in hardware comment.

Two things:

With the economy going down the drain as it is, corporations (at least the ones who want to stay in business) are not going to be buying any over priced bleeding edge hardware. They exact opposite is going to happen. They are going to be scaling back, and looking internally to see what can be done with what they got, house cleaning to make what they have work better, and most likely spend their money on business intelligence tools that will give them a better outlook on their sector of the economy and the economy as a whole so that when things do start to turn around they will have an edge on their competition... Of course, the tech producing companies will always churn out new gadgets in hopes it being the next Ipod and have it save them for the next few years.

Second, I don't know of any company worth it's salt that would adopt such a new and unproven technology like this until it has been put through the wringer. The institution I work for, which has not been impacted by the global recession like most others, has almost $10 billion USD in financial assets that it manages certainly wouldn't and the first person who brought up the idea of going to SSD's for our data center would pretty much have to go looking for a new job if they wanted to climb the corporate ladder as their credibility would have just been flushed down the toilet.

The only companies I can see pushing these are products to end users are the Dell's Apples who sell to people with more money than they know what to do with.

Tags: Add Tags