Other Anyone here use o2 broadband?

Discussion in 'General' started by C4FF, 12 Feb 2009.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

ok i'm with o2. i'm on the 8mb package and my connection speed is usually 7.6 or to put it another way if i'm dling torrents it normally dl's at about 800 kbs whilst i'm gaming thats with 2 other pc's on the network being used as well. customer services are ok to. :)

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ah - that would explain it. My copper length is 5+Km, As the crow files it's only about 1.5Km

5. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Hey all, Glad to see so many of you are paying my wages :lol: I've got the good fortune of being both a customer and a customer service dude for o2 broadband.

My usual speeds (according to speetest.net are around 13mb down and 1mb up, in actual use I've seen downloads over torrents at around 1M to 1.8M I'm pretty satisfied. Also I'm about to move and that place is even closer to the LLU enabled exchange :D

ps I will say however that if we offer you our Access package, shop around - it aint cheap and its getting hammered with congestion issues at peak times atm.

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i'm on Be* unlimited, the fastest download i've ever got from it is 2Mb when downloading the windows 7 beta, but you can easily get over 1, its amazingly fast

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I moved to O2 Premium a month ago and I'm a very happy bunny. For the same price as I was paying Pipex for a rather poor 8Mbps service I'm regularly seeing 16Mbps and more with the best I've measured
    I'm pretty close to the exchange so have a nice high sync speed.

I looked at Be* but they seemed to be a lot more money for not much extra.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I've switched from be to O2 to save cash. Both seem identical really.

Very good providers both of them.

9. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I'm tempted to make the switch- even just to try of out with their 30 day free trial (o2 that is) but there's something in me that stops me because I thought cable lines were better than asdl phone lines? I'm quite impressed with the speeds your all getting on these asdl lines?

Another question is would they be drilling any holes in my house? After the" polyfilla on my hands for a week without the hospital being able to help disaster" I am reluctant to change anything in the house :s

Virgin are decent, I get speeds of about 1.3megabytes per second with upload at 70-80kb only! I'm on the 20mb package too- your opinion on whether I should bother trying it would be welcome?

10. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Telewest were great before the merger with NTL when they became virgin and it all went to ****, and yes with the Uk's current telecom infrastructure cable is a more scalable technology with the right investment, however that is never going to happen and Be/O2 are pretty much the only company left who don't screw you out of the bandwidth you have paid for.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you have a BT phone line in your house (even if the service isn't BT, I'd be pretty sure you'll have a BT line), then there's probably no need to do anything. About the only thing is that the best place for the router is the first place the line comes in, so probably in your front room.

Given the speeds Virgin are providing, I'd make the switch sharpish, unless you live miles away from the nearest exchange.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

On the basis of this thread I'm going to make the jump.

I have had some HORRENDOUS experience with virgin and would never use them again.

However much i love fast.co.uk as they can always be contacted within 30 secs they are just too pricey for me, so 02 i go and maybe I get a bit of a speed boost :)

13. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Mrbungle- I'm still mauling it over whether to make the switch , please will you update me on how you find o2 as I am very interested also?

My thanks in advance!

14. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Only reason I'm with Virgin is the speeds, even when capped its still quicker than what I could get with ADSL.

But I get the full 20meg when it is uncapped.

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Just ordered a new phone line, next O2 broadband

Had the line ripped down before I moved in by some t**t's. Just ordered the reconnection. So once that is done bring on the O2 broadband.

I'm really surprised though at the number of Virgin haters, i was with them from being telewest and never had a problem, would have probably been with them now it there service didn't stop 100 meters further up my street.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

1. For those who don;t know, o2 and Be are the same company, same service, same everything. Makes no difference which you order from, you get the same package.

2. Been with MANY BB providers over the years, and at one address am still with Virgin. I can see where youre coming from about the DL cap, but for some reason there isnt one on my connection. Dont ask me why, there just isnt and never has been. I always get great speeds (am on an 8MB connection and never get less than 6 DL) and their customer service has been ok over the years but the foreign call centre staff annoy me at times...

3. At the other address I have been with o2 for about one year now and can safely say that out of all the other ISPs I have been with (including but not limited to Tiscali, BT broadband, Zen internet and Talk Talk) o2 are by far and away the best. Best on ease of ordering, best on price (theres even a discount if you are an o2 mobile customer, which I am), best on delivery times, best on communication and definately best on customer service not to mention the VERY good and consistent connection that they provide. If half the ISPs in the UK took one quarter of the measures to ensure good customer service that o2 did, there would be a lot less grief between customers and their ISPs (I'm looking at you, BT :sigh:). Can't reccomend o2 broadband more, they really are the best!.

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Stupid stupid BT

Bit of a rant coming here,

Ok so the other day when i posted i was getting a line put it, i have filled out the online connect to bt shopping basket thing, it said we'll get back to you within 48 hours. After 48 hours i heard nothing so i spent about 30 mins trying to fond a phone number of the site to call.

Once i found the number i had to sit through 7 mins of press 1, press 2 options it drove me round the bend. Then i got to speak to our little friend in india who i could not understand one bit only for him to tell me there is no record of me applying for a new line to be installed.

15 mins on the phone and we are sorted, the line is going in on tues.

rant over.

anyhone who has O2 broadband able to tell me how long it taked from saying "i want your broadband" to getting online?

cheers

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Last time I rang up Be*, it was about 7 business days from ordering to connection. :)

19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Last time for me was no more than a week.

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've used someone's 9mb O2 connection, and was very impressed, have a 15mb connection myself with BE and couldn't be happier, £17 per month of upto 24mb down and 1.2mb up isn't half bad, i don't get those figures, but am damn close.
    I would say BE/O2 are best when your in a town/city and your close to your exchange.

Oh, and you get cash back on quidco, or, at least last time i looked you could:thumb:

Sam