1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Cases Client Build! - Finished, Final Projects and Vid up!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 14 Mar 2009.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Client build time!

[​IMG]

I need to create a big box thing that allows air to flow around the motherboard and out the top of the case. PSU and HDDs will be kept down the bottom and yeah, its a horizontal build. The first horizontal case ive built.

Woke up at 9am to start on the project, the client has given me 3 weeks till completion.

[​IMG]
    Started putting the table saw to good use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The table saw allows me to cut depth, it doubles as a router meaning I can easily put some time into making the HDD tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I needed at least a tiny bit of the tray exposed for cooling purposes so I opted to number the trays, 1...2 and 3....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now to put together the main box!

[​IMG]

[size=13pt]Where to from here?[/size]
    [​IMG]

Well theres the main curved bottom bit, I need to find a way to secure the PSU to the case and I need to put in the motherboard tray. The client wants a yellow and black paintjob so I gotta find a paint thats acrylic friendly and wont crack easily.

Of course there will be lighting and see through bits but i have yet to get a creative spark around that concept. Very much a do it when I get to it attitude. I originally wanted to put a 250mm fan up top but noone seems to stock them anymore!

Lighting will be yellow, black will be used to conceal ugly areas, black with yellow shining through at parts, im already liking the idea.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2009
  2. tomcatt

tomcatt WoodWoodWood

Cool !!
    Looking forward for more !! :p

3. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Whow, skillz. Gonna follow this!

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Updates!

Seeing as I have a tight deadline and the considering that the most time consuming parts of modding always come at the final stages, I thought itd be a good idea to get my ass in gear and do...stuff.

Oh and I gotta recap on the last post, heres the HDD tray...doing its thing.
    [​IMG]

Following the plans...
    [​IMG]

Now the motherboard has enough room for air to flow around it!
    [​IMG]

Top part underway, the motherboard will be enclosed here with a few fans up top to suck air out.
    [​IMG]

Messy, fun.
    [​IMG]

If you have a gf then dont let her just stand there :p get her to do something!
    [​IMG]

Epic bending underway
    [​IMG]

More bending...
    [​IMG]

The frame, you wont be able to see any of this in the final build. Its not stuck together, just wanted to see how it looks like!
    [​IMG]

Where to from here?
    Well I gotta do some more bending, panel work, I have to slice up the I/O area, gotta get to work with a whole set of lovely files and smooth the edges. The colour scheme is black and yellow, ive decided that the yellow can be provided by lights and the black can be spray painted on with a matte finish.

I know what I need to do it, just gotta keep finding the time to do it in. 2 weeks before the clients hardware arrives at my doorstep so the build has to be at least installable by then. Talk about speed modding :)

Next update will be very soon considering the entire project will be done in 3 weeks.

5. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

nice GF! :D
    wery cool the case keep it up!

6. Mokey Mokey

Mokey Mokey What's a Dremel?

At first glance at your sketches I thought is was a cube case with tank treads! :naughty:
    Ha ha, nice bending, this is looking great!

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Cheers :p Next update is coming up. Should be able to get a good idea of what the final product will look like.

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Update!

Small update.

Just a few pics so we can all get a better idea as to where this project is heading. The frame is done and to save space I needed to make the computer just a tiny bit taller (usually happens with my projects come to think of it).

[​IMG]

The base of the case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More when it stops raining :(

9. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

Looks very nice.
    I'm so unskilled with plastics so i will subscribe to this. Maybe i'll learn something. :)

(hmm. if i just remember where that subsribe button is..)

10. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Really nice start and great job with the plexi :thumb:

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Update :p

Just been doing a whole bunch of work on the frame to stiffen it up. You wont actually see the frame on the final build but thats where im up to lol. Tomorrow ill be working on putting the side panels on. I need to make custom grills for air to come into the case and to be honest, I havent even thought up a design for them as of yet.
    [​IMG]

Its all slowly coming together, 2 weeks to completion deadline.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

There will be an update later today, Ive started to install the side window and have just received the rest of the required acrylic and lighting. The build must be installable by Thursday so its time to hustle!

13. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Huge Update!

I modded pretty much all day which is why the photos start by day and finish at night. I don’t know where I mustered the energy from either because cheese on toast and kettles chips aren’t exactly considered energy food.

So what did I do today?

[​IMG]
    Well today started by pulling out the little box of useful stuff, an accumulation of intel heatsink fans that im still trying to find a use for, dremel bits and pretty much every bolt you can screw into a computer (if youre into that kinda thing).

[​IMG]
    After a bit of rummaging I decided to make a start on the side panels and it took some work to make sure that they were on properly and sturdy enough.

[​IMG]
    Started filling bits here and there, theres plenty more filling to come. Oh joy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After installing the side panels, it was time to get to work on the fan holes. Usually people just drill a circle into their case and then buy a grill but I opted for a slightly different approach. I wanted the case to act as the intake and grill all in one (really not that exciting).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that done, I decided to make a concerted effort to put the front panel on. This was always going to be the hardest bit but with a little clamp help and heat gunnage, I eventually arrived at stage one of my bending/gluing effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats all I did today on THAT mod, I was out of weights so I used that mod to help put pressure on my other mod, the mineral oil cooling rig :p

[​IMG]

You can check it out in my sig!

Bonus pics, got a girl off the street to model with my case (kidden :p thats a friend of mine)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im well aware the top box isnt near finished :p dont tell me!

[​IMG]

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

looking good dude with some nice clean precise work. gotta say i love the ghetto birdcage in the background [​IMG]

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

lol its chicken wire with a top, they fertilise the lawn :) I modded my bird cage w00t!

Unfortunately it doesnt deserve the title ghetto :p i'll reserve that word for cheapskates mods haha

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Today was a race to make the computer look alright for the client, that meant cleaning it, drying it, getting rid of fingerprints and the like. The computer has a week and a half left on its completion but im going to try have it all complete by monday week.

So, lets begin.

[​IMG]
    Bolted down the back and started bending.

[​IMG]
    Started polishing the sides down and cleaning out the case for the clients visit.

[​IMG]
    He brought over all the parts of which we started to install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im really enjoying this build, by the end with the box on top, its just going to look awesome. One week guys!

17. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

Hmm. Looks like those bendings in the front has an different angle.

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

19. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Sweet mod. I hope the client knows that acrylic is a bitch to keep clean, haha

20. tyrandan

tyrandan Pink Lemonade.

Haha you bashing cheapskate's mods? lol good use of a GF btw haha, and really interesting case!