1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone here use o2 broadband?

Discussion in 'General' started by C4FF, 12 Feb 2009.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Is your exchange unbundled? You'll need that for the faster Premium and Pro speeds (>8Mb).

O2 Access has been getting a lot of stick, beware.

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

+1
    Nearly a year now with Be on pro package, currently synced at up/down 1,914 / 17,802 kB/s.

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Since BE and o2 are the same, I went to BE's website for the speed test and it says I can get up to 13mb due to my phone line.
    I would guess this is what o2 would give me too?

Im wondering realistically what download speeds I could expect with this then? and the upload speeds? divide it by 8 and I get the megabytes?

anyone please?

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

If it says you should expect 13mb from your line you will be looking at 1.6Mb/sec in downstream and probably about 150k/sec up.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

They tend to be optimistic; my forecast was the full 20Mb but my best has been 17. I'm sync'd at around the maximum

Code:
    Uptime:	33 days, 1:26:00
    DSL Type:	G.992.5 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:	1,304 / 21,038
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:	12.0 / 18.0
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:	8.0 / 17.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:	7.5 / 7.5

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

thats not 22Mb then is it! :p

my Be line syncs at about 15Mb/1.1Mb

as far as actual speeds go, i get about 1.7MB/s max downstream and about 120KB/s up
    have done for a few years now

i average around 400gig/m with no probs

7. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Certainly has and rightly so imo, however those issues apparently will be resolved by mid of April according to their latest forum post (over on the o2 support forums).

Also Chris, the time scales we are told are 6-10 working days, ideally we'll have you up and running in about a week.

edit: Also please, please, please throw the o2 bb cd away - unless you really want McAfee....

Last edited: 11 Mar 2009
  8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Whats that then, how would I find out (remember I dont even have a line yet so i can't use that. Thought i am on my missus's mam's pc less than 100m from my house)

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Unbundling is when a ISP puts their equipment in BT's exchange and utilises BT's local copper as it was their own.

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

11. Cookie Monster

GOO, your amazing, i just searched and my exchange has been unbundled by O2 if thats the correct term. LOL.

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Download is unusual, i can easily get ~2mb/sec (untill you quickly hit the daily BW cap of course)
    trick is to use multi threaded download managers, i've noticed downloads tend to max out at 0.5-1mb/sec individually, use a download manager and you max the connection easily.

shame about the pathetic 768k max upload though, really shockingly slow ratio when paired with 20mb DL

I'd go back to ADSL if my BT line wasn't so hilariously unstable*

*I haven't used it for a year or so, but i used to be able to connect at 5-6mb, but it's only stable when limited to 3mb
    i got bored of daily ADSL disconnects.

Ah well, when i do move out (hopefully this year) ADSL availability is going to be a very important factor as to where i move :hehe:

13. Cookie Monster

Im' now on O2 broadband, took a little bit setting up as it wouldn't connect but after a quick call the O2 helpdesk it's sorted those people are muchly helpful.

Did a quick speed test though and it says i'm only getting 7mb, anyone know of any other speed test sites i'm about a mile from the exchange and depending on the quality of the line i should be getting close to 20mb.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

What's your line attenuation? Should be in the router stats somewhere.

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

If you want an accurate speed test grab any well seeded public torrent (like an ubuntu iso) and see what it gets after a few minutes.

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

17. Cookie Monster

The router says i'm getting about 1.4mb up and 14ish mb down.

that says i'm getting .9mb up and about 5.5mb down.

Not good when i'm ment to be on upto 20mb.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Where I am on O2 it's pretty shite. Downloads randomly drop, and out of 20MB we pay for I get 6MB tops. There's an LLU for O2/Be and I'm about 1km from the exchange, tops. I think O2 are stiffing quite a few people on "20MB" packages it seems. I'm going to drop down to the 8MB.

Virgin was better, even though they stiffed me out of £16 on a "oh, and one more payment". Assholes.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Virgin are bad for that, but in my time with them, they have been goof QOS wise. Customer serive stinks too, stupid foriegn call centres :grr:

BT, total t***s tbh, I will NEVER have a service from BT that I dont need to have again. It was the worst 12 months of internet service I have ever had, and I firmly believe they might be the most hated ISP in the UK. Heck, theyre already the most hated phone company, seeing as they monopolize everything from line access to public payphones. Greedy ********.

Cant compliment o2 enough, a real pleasure to talk to on the phone, pleasent and helpful any time I have phoned, and they were very quick about getting us online etc. Plus its CHEAP for the speeds and reliability you get!

20. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Just a update my line went active today with o2 and so far its been superb.

Free router is decent and simple to set up while my line speed has gone from 3mb to near 6mb, which while not super fast is like another world for me lol

Great Pings so far as well.

Hopefully will stay that way!