1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Advise Please: UK resident travelling to Canada

Discussion in 'General' started by Hwulex, 31 Mar 2009.

1. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Okay here goes. This I guess is aimed at our Canadian brethren but also anyone Brits that have spent any decent amount of time over there.

I'm looking (ideally) at hitting BC some time in the first two weeks of June but need to stay until at least the second week of September as a friend is getting married. I've looked through a few Canada immigration sites and they state that UK residents don't need visas, but surely that's not for indefinite stay? I'm expecting the standard to be something like a 90 day tourist visa like we're entitled to for the US but nowhere stipulates this.

Obviously for the period planned, 90 days ain't gonna cut it. I will (funds permitting) be doing a mountain-bike ride-guide qualification whilst in Whistler so I can get some work thereafter so that throws a spanner in the works. So can anyone answer the following?

1) How long is a standard tourist visa for a UK resident?
    2) Can I pre-apply for a longer tourist visa, assuming I don't work during my stay?
    3) Can I scoot out the country to the US for a few days, and get another 90 days (or whatever) upon re-entering (again no work)?
    4) I won't have secured a job before going as it depends on qualifying and finding one afterwards, can I apply now for a work permit?
    5) If I arrive on a (for example 90 day) tourist visa, can I apply internally for a work permit once qualifying/finding work?
    6) The woman at the instructor company said there are limited visa numbers so should pre-apply but how can I without a job first? Her company offers 'job search assistance' and might take people on themselves but this isn't guaranteed before travel.

I've tried several websites, and badgering afore mentioned woman to little success. I've also phoned Canada House (London Canadian embassy) but it's all automated service, and I've also rung a Canadian law firm who offer free advice but I don't think they're awake yet :wallbash:

Umm, thanks.

2. opal

opal Eh?

I spent 3 months in Canada at the start of 2007. I did a snowboarding instructor course for that time. As far as I can remember I did not have a visa, just had to provide the details of when I was leaving the country.

As for work I'm certain you do need a visa.

That's all I've got, might be of some use

3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

As far as I'm aware the maximum duration of a visitor visa is the same as the UK - 6 months.

Although there is a visa waiver programme in place between the UK and Canada I'd advise you to apply for a visa anyway - You don't want to pay for the ticket, only to be denied entry clearance because you can't convince some anal immigration officer that you have enough money to support yourself.

You'll need to show you have funds to support yourself for the duration of your stay...and it would be helpful to get a letter from any canadian citizens you're there to visit outlining the reason you're visiting.

If you want to visit the US while you're there you'll also need apply for a multiple entry visa, rather than a single entry visa.

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

5. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Just to clarify, the USA isn't on my itinerary, I was just wondering that if the initial visa is 90 days, would border hopping allow me a further 90 days?

Thanks for the help so far.

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'm no expert, but i believe that if you're from one of the countries that doesn't need a visa, once you get into the country you can stay prettymuch as long as you like. and viper's link seems to confirm this.
    my friend's dad is german and he's been living here for 30yrs, still hasn't bothered to even get his permanent resident card.

and you can't get a work permit without a written and signed job offer letter from your employer.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2009
  8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Watch out for bears O_O

9. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

and Pygo

10. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I had looked through the site Viper posted but I always imagined there would be some kind of limit, even for those countries whose residents are visa-exempt. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't imagine being able to just turn up and stay as long as I want, like I can in the EU.

I have just found this however:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/arriving.asp

Another friend has mentioned a 'working holiday visa' which entitles you to work during your (fixed term) stay but having a job lined up isn't a pre-requisite. The is the kind of thing I imagined would be available as parts of Canada are very seasonal with the ski and mtb seasons and people going over to 'do a season' including some work to pay the bills. I'll have more of a hunt online and maybe pop in to Canada House when I next go to the big smoke.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

[EDiT] Erm:

[EDiT2]
    Okay, found it: Working Holiday Program (WHP)

Last edited: 31 Mar 2009
  11. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Perhaps worth looking into whether leaving the country resets the length of stay permitted? Quick trip across to US...