1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield 1943 delayed for PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

porting to the pc...pfft. Whats the world coming too?

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The best bit in the trailer? The exploding electricity post at 0:38. :p

Other than that... meh. Never thought BF was that special.

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Oh man this looks fun, 1942 has always been the best imo, was just so much harder to use tanks that made it better, but they were also so much more vunerable with their slow speed so it didnt matter if you were on foot or not as well.

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I lost all interest in this when it came out about the infinite ammo and regenerating health.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm looking forward to this, always loved 1942 and wake island.

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

"PC Game delayed in favour of console release, Shocker".
    Oh what a surprise the PC release get's pushed back so the console release can get concentrated on and no doubt the PC version will cost £15 more and just be a lousy port (again), welcome to the wonderful world of PC gaming.

8. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

You've forgotten how week the pound is to the euro. It's around a tenner in england, but in euros thats only around €11.50, not that near 15.

Sorry being very picky :p

9. sear

sear Guest

This game really is not looking too good, and honestly this news does not surprise me.

Who wants to bet on what happens? Here's my proposal:

1) Game is released on consoles, and not on PC
    2) Gamers on consoles play this game for a month or two before getting bored and moving on to the next thing
    3) DICE and EA decide that coupled with the delay to the PC version, they should add some new DLC for the console versions to bring in more money and increase player numbers
    4) DLC is either not included in PC version, or is included "free" with the base cost of the game raised
    5) PC gamers get the game and/or the DLC at least one month after the console DLC is released
    6) By this time, most PC gamers couldn't care less about the game because it's already been released on consoles for months, and they've got the next Valve/Blizzard/Relic/id/Crytek/etc. game to worry about which offers ten times the gameplay of Battlefield 1943 anyway
    7) EA notices that the game sells poorly on PC at best, despite being a lazy and late console port, and decides that PC players don't want Battlefield games anymore, so instructs DICE to cancel all upcoming PC plans and focus all its attention on console iterations of Battlefield like Bad Company instead
    8) EA further decides to stop coming out with so many games on the PC, focusing only on core franchises like SPORE and The Sims; patches and updates are infrequent or absent altogether

Come on, I hate to say it, but you know that that is going to happen. It's happened with pretty much every developer that's gone multi-platform in the last few years: give your console games the priority treatment, release a shitty PC version with tons of bugs, poor performance, missing features, horrible widescreen support, etc. and then complain when nobody buys it.

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

that trailer doesn't look too enticing....

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sear, I'm very sorry, but you missed one very essential point:

9) EA blames piracy for the abysmal sales.

12. jim48509

jim48509 What's a Dremel?

And then blame the poor sales on piracy.

13. sear

sear Guest

To be fair, piracy is a very, very major issue. Demigod recently launched and had about a 5:1 piracy ratio right from the start. However, customers who are less happy and less respecting of a developer, due in part to things like poor PC ports and crap support, are going to pirate games more often... and in those cases, of course, it's the poor product and service that's to blame.

14. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

For a tenner I wouldn't mind trying this. I loved 1942 and played the demo map loads when that came out. Some of the bugs were hilarious!

But then this release is all part of the transition to a subscription gaming channel idea that EA is so keen on...

15. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

That's a very "Fallout" post apocalyptic approach hahahahaha. Don't think it will get to that point. We just have to wait and see

16. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing they don't want '43 to step on BF Heroes' toes this Summer on PC.

For someone who is not interested in Heroes, and would rather play '43 on PC then console, this news is a bit of a disappointment.

But for "strategic" concerns, I guess I can see why :/

17. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I downloaded the trailer on psn as i couldnt find one on xbox live. I liked it and think ill get it if its 1200 points. More worth it that braid at 1200 points :)

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

an FPS developed for console and being ported to PC?

its gonna flop. i guarantee it.

and here i am an ex-BF2/BF2142 veteran...... :(

20. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

well.... now I;m officially not getting this. F*ck EA.

Tags: Add Tags