1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geowal19, 10 May 2009.

1. Geowal19

Geowal19 What's a Dremel?

My mate wants me to buy him a graphics card its an old comp and he's only got AGP and PCI slots so which should I get him a newer PCI card or an old AGP card with a faster AGP slot frequency?

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What does he need a graphics card for? If he wants to play games its probably more worthwhile to just upgrade the whole computer.

Both PCI and AGP are very outdated these days. Do you mean PCI-Express?

3. bravhorn

bravhorn ********

hi i have an old AGP cpu and have just updated my gfx card with a sapphire radeon HD3580 it allows me to run the games i want on full gfx.but i had to update my PSU and grab some more RAM but cost all in 200 pound so compared to 1000 pound for a decent cpu upgrade i think its great.and im very happy with it:)

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, I'd be inclined not to bother getting a card at all. His money would be much better spent on upgrading the whole system than spending money on tech that's several years old.

£1000 for a CPU upgrade?! I think you might be looking in the wrong places :/

5. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

What is his budget?

If the budget is small, he will be better off hitting ebay and getting a mb with both agp and pci-e slots and ddr and ddr2 slots so he can upgrade his system slowly.

With medium and high budget then he should upgrade to the new stuff.

There is no point buying agp now, its just too old to cope with the latest games. Take it from as I have just left agp behind, i made the mistake of upgrading my old agp card to another agp card, and then having to upgrade it all again a year or two later.

Which direction you go all depends on budget.

6. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I would suggest buying bit by bit, and then when he has the right components, then build the system (that is if he hasn't got the money to do it all at once of course...)

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

SazBard and NikoBellic are pretty much right; if he doesn't have a lot of money right now, buy a motherboard that's both PCI-E and AGP compatible, and buy a PCI-E graphics card. If he can wait (and save) or loosen some extra cash buy a whole new computer. That tech is long, long out of date.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I wouldn't suggest buying each component for a new build one at a time. Just save the money and put it aside for when you have enough and are ready to build it. Otherwise it's just sitting around not doing anything while it's getting cheaper and cheaper in the shops as new tech comes out.

9. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

ahh... Good point, I hold my hands up, I was wrong... :duh: