News EU slaps Intel with record £948m fine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 May 2009.

1. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

If an OEM is required to fulfill an order of x chips, but AMD can't manage to supply enough, how do you think that OEM can stay in business? Its clients would just go to a different OEM which deals with Intel and which can supply what's demanded.

They're victims as well... because Intel "threatened" to entirely cut supplies to the OEMs that don't abide by Intel's law! Competitive, my ass!

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

this is going to be quite the entertaining soap! Kudos to you guys for being so fast with your reporting guys! :thumb:

/me grabs a martini and sits back...

4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

That was more of a joke, I don't petty Intel regardless of the fine, I trust the EU court. and true it would not make the market better.
    But honestly, have them to "behave" sorry but i have a hard time seeing this happening, it is mentioned that they are still using elligal methods at the present day, and if they didn't stop doing it when the case first startet, I don't see a reason to stop now. It is like a drug dealer that still deals drugs even when he is allready in court, not sorry for s***t.
    Intel has proberly calculated that it is worth the fine, if they hadn't done it they may not have had this big a market share today, a share big enough to be worth about 1 bill.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think it's amazing they got fined, and that much as well.

BUT it won't stop any company [not even Intel] to just go and do the same thing over and over again. This is part of the free market we love so much!
    Intel would've never done that if that hadn't gotten away with it before. Someone did that before on a smaller scheme, then someone else or the same company went for more and it's my honest belief there is no big company that wouldn't use their domination of a market to their advantage.

I don't say it's right because it isn't... but let's face it, Intel did it, MS did it, many oil companies did it, hell, even Rockefeller did it! There are others doing it right now and they won't stop just because 1/1000 gets caught and told off.
    Sad but true.

6. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

That's AMDs problem then, and it makes perfect business sense for Intel to capitalise on AMDs lack of supply.

7. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

Hence why I didn't say a single OEM was at fault, rather that all of them were for allowing this to happen in the first place.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I've been hearing stories from people here who have worked with Intel stock retailers. Apparently in years gone by, Intel representatives would 'accidentally' leave unmarked brown bags full of cash at meetings with retailers. But, as the Intel CEO says, isn't that just good competition? :)

9. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Intel does have something akin to 12 billion dollars in cash reserves, it will only wound the company, yet simultaneously fill it with a lot of anger. AMD best remember what happened when Intel's pride was hurt over the Pentium 4's failure. It will be years before they actually pay the fine, in fact has Microsoft even paid its fine in full yet? On a serious note, does this mean no i7 price cuts:(

HP/DELL etc can chose to stock any company's products, there is no legal requirement for them to do otherwise. However in the medium-term, allowing one company to monopolise the market, and thus dictate prices is not very smart corporate governance.

10. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

Were you high all this time?... to what has happened during the P4 era has just been given a verdict: €1.06 billion fine!

And I was always wondering why there are so few OEM options on AthlonXP's or even the newer AMD64's... everywhere I looked, only Intel!

LOL... yeah... the same Xmas price cuts that C2Q would have had to go through after the PH I launch... and mind you, it's would have! No competition, no price wars! But then, if there's no fair business, then how can there be a chance of competition?!

Are you sure?... I called it "Intel's law".

Dude, you've missed the point, by miles!... or kilometers, depending on where you live!

First, the talk was about the OEM's being fair or not... not about Intel capitalizing on AMD's lack of supply! BTW, use a spellchecker... as simple as it might be, it helps!

Second, no OEM should be hindered at buying from a manufacturer... and no manufacturer can limit an OEM's options of buying from another manufacturer. That's why your point of view on perfect business sense is far from Intel's.

Last edited: 13 May 2009
  11. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Classic, you fail to realise that the P4's failure inspired Intel to create the Core architecture, a pretty successful product by any benchmark. Their dubious sales strategy, has nothing to do with their R&D triumphs. My point was, and it should be clear to anyone who has not been smoking ketamine, is that AMD must concentrate hard on the competitiveness of the next-gen platforms, as Intel will aim for the jugular.

If AMD cannot match or exceed Intel's next-gen products, and given their much weaker financial status, they will not survive, a situation no objective tech enthusiast would enjoy.

12. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Well, finally. I hoped for a fine bigger than 1bn, but it's fine, given Intel's further problems all around the world. They got too arrogant and greedy. It's also a good time for intel to be fined, with lower CPU sales the financial blow will be much more powerful. Maybe some real competition will take place now, hopefully. I'm satisfied, now to wait for Microsoft to get what's coming to them.

13. trig

trig god's little mistake

lol..definitely make urself, yes, i spelled it urself, smarter because u use a spell checker. congrats...too bad they don't have a really good punctuation checker. then you'd look super intelligent.

this is like so many things in life. lot of "must haves" and "probably did's". if i cared enough i would probably dig into it more to see whether (thank god i used the spell checker there, i almost spelled it 'whther') there was proof to these allegations or not, although i am "sure there is". i like to believe there is a cosmic balance to life. you do wrong, it will be returned. maybe...

14. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

sarcasm
    Was i not being transparent enough? (see...the new president is having an effect)

15. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Gee, I would like to see the equation they used to determine that no harm has been done to the consumers...

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah the p4 was crap.. god who was buying those things anyways? I always wondered how the hell they sold the p4.. least they saw the light and the c2d came along effectively neutering amd.. ruiz suki suki

/grabs a linguine, martini, bikini..

17. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I think the greatest irony in all of this is that the money they will have made out of their questionable behaviour will probably a fair bit more than this fine.

The fine should be alot more harsh IMHO.

18. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

You can rant and rave about Intel, and what they did was unquestionably wrong, but do we want them to actually go UNDER?

I think this would be a faux pas honestly. They are sleezy, they have hurt the market, and they nearly ruined AMD. --BUT-- they have made many many advances in the CPU industry. Advances that I don't think would have happened without trying to beat other companies in the ground and advances other companies wouldn't have made themselves if Intel hadn't existed.

If Intel was to get fined hard enough that they essentially belly-up, then that leaves AMD as pretty much the only maker IMO. AMD has not done shady practices as far as I know, but if they are the only CPU maker that matters with Intel gone, then you can not tell me in honesty and good faith that they would keep their prices as low as they could be.

Every company is out to make money. Every single one. If Intel dissolves and AMD steps up, it will be just the same as when Intel was paying off companies. Sure, AMD will be legit, maybe their products will have a higher quality (maybe not?) but at the end of the day if they are the only one in the market, they can charge whatever they want.

'Course maybe i'm way out in left field when the ball was a line drive to the right.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well now AMD needs to file with a Civil Court to recover damages and so forth, lol this is simply awesome. I mean its no surprising news that Intel had bad business practices come on that was a given but ya this shall be interesting, I mean it wont hurt Intel any as thats a drop in the bucket for them.

20. AngryNapkin

AngryNapkin What's a Dremel?

Could Intel just give the big FU and threaten to stop supplying them with products? "Fine me One Point What?!? Billion?" "Ok nm we wont carry products in the EU any longer have fun"?

Tags: Add Tags