How to increase PPD on a dual core CPU

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by manxminx, 10 May 2009.

1. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I have been thinking about this alot lately, you are both right, notfred is great and can chuck out some great ppd, but thats if its setup on a dedicated machine. I'm finding i've missed out on some points because I just couldnt make the deadlines, (I have to switch off the machine at night usually).

I think I will abandon the smp client also and use two normal console clients running together, at least I will get some constant points without having to dump a 2000 point module because I missed the deadline by 4 hours.

I'm just trying to crunch out a 1900 pointer at the moment, fahmon says its eta is 19:30 tonight, after that I will uninstall vmware and notfred.

:(

Sorry to hijack your thread manxminx!

2. manxminx

manxminx Opps, I broke my Dremel . . .

Hijack away :D Thanx for your reply!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's thinking along these lines. The uniprocessor clients might not return a lot of PPD compared to the SMP/VMware clients, but at least the computer remains responsive, and it can be shut down at night without worrying about missing deadlines . . .

Now if only someone could design a single, simple console client that could take advantage of the power of multi-core processors, run in the background and release CPU time the instant it's needed elsewhere. Is that really too much to ask for?

Ali.

P.s. I'm working through two 84 point WU's at the moment. Didn't know they went that low!:eyebrow:

Last edited: 22 May 2009
  3. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I'm getting worried now, none of the 4-5 WU's my gfx card has returned today are showing, and my 1900 pointer from vmware is no where to be seen either...

=/

4. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

I've had some 47 pointer's before :lol: