1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits On Our Desk - 17

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 May 2009.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I'd have to make a ramp out of books if I had one.

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Is the Icybox USB thingy just compatible with USB mass storage devices or could you plug a printer or wireless dongle in it?

Paradigm Shifter: the first result on Google for the digger you mentioned is you :) and that digger is epic!

3. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Damn that Lego truck is cool.. lately I've been only buying Star Wars sets and the occassional yard sale buy of assorted box of pieces (gotten some really good deals). Been thinking about getting into the MindStorms stuff. Might be able to mod that truck to be programmed with the MindStorm kits.

Sorry, didn't look at the other products... yet.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

He's not joking, the morning Mark brought it in, every one of us squidged the suspension and drove it up and down his desk a few times. Was like the average age in the office dropped by about 20 years! :rock:Core i7? Bah! Lego Technics all the way! Would you guys object to a whole month of lego reviews?;)

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Would you like an honest answer to that question!

6. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Lol i wouldn't object but i hope that i don't get lynched by the masses for saying that :worried:

btw, wheres that video??

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Actually, I would love to see regular reviews of new Lego kits.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Seconded. :D

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

All we need now is a few Lego case mods!

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

You never mentioned which LAN interface is one the IcyBox? Is it 100 or 1000mbit?

Secondly you mention that the eSata copies over the 314MB file via USB2 in a certain amount of time but you didn't say how it performed that same task via eSata alone?

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

THAT is a fantastic idea!

12. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Should point out - I think that the Plantronics 777 is exactly the same as the 377, but with the inclusion of the USB dolby adaptor thing.
    The 377s are about £20-£25. Much better deal!

13. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

I used to have lego technic Future Car (model 8437)
    [​IMG]
    and I thought it was great, but after seeing this model I really want to come back to building with lego :p

Some people say that they are toys for little kids, but I think they help you to think creative and stretch your mind, isn't that right? Anyway nice review ;)

14. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Entirely, entirely agreed. Quality does seem to be picking up lately, but only lately. And dear GOD do I want that Star Destroyer. My problem isn't availability, it's price (still). I know it's a fair price, but $300 or even $250 to blow on a Lego set is just too much for a cash-strapped college kid like me.

Oh, and also...

I'm already on it. :thumb:

- Diosjenin -

15. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

That was the first technic i built :D Great stuff is lego ;)
    The last one i built was the previous bog 4X4:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-5702012014307-Technic-4x4-Off-Roader/dp/B00005MM3T

Then i got into computers, and haven't had any spare cash for over-priced lego :/
    I do agree that its a good way to learn about mechanics. How else would a 13yr old know about gear ratios and differentials etc :p (not that im 13 any more... that was quite a while ago)

16. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

i had a lego technic motorbike when i was a teen, brilliant kits, i got the impression they changed the way they were put together tho, more of the stuff is premoulded so you're putting together bigger parts and building is less part of it than the toy you make.

shrug

if i'm wrong about this please please tell me as i may just have to put my upgrade on hold and get me some lego, can be a 30th b'day pressie to myself next month! lol

17. Paradigm Shifter

Thing is, I'd spend $250. For a Collectors Edition item with that many pieces (and the size of the ting) it's fairly good value. I nearly did, actually, and then the Lego US store sold out. Wasn't happy. :( But for a still sealed box (only way I can be 100% sure that all the pieces are there) sellers in the UK want anything from £300 to £550. Which is daylight robbery.

18. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Love the Lego truck. Being a Lego fan since a wee lad I can honestly say regular Lego reviews would be awesome.

I think Bit should buy the Collector's Edition Star Destroyer and then dedicate a thread and some videos to the building of it.

19. Paradigm Shifter

This.

Then have a competition to win it. :D

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I want to see a build log of the Lego aircraft carrier.:D

Tags: Add Tags