1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking New Overclocker, Temp Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SwiftDestiny101, 2 Jun 2009.

1. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

I'm really not sure what I should be expecting so I don't know if my situation is good or bad :S

Start with my spec:
    P6T Deluxe V2
    i7 920 (D0)
    Titan Fenrir
    1600 MHz memory
    ATCS840 + 3 Enermax Magma (2 intake 1 exhaust)

Now I've come to overclocking it all I referred to this post over at the asus forums http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx..._id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us with the basic in's and outs for first timers like me.

Now I tapped in the 3.78GHz settings from the table a little bit down the page and I was at 60 idle and instantly 100 under prime 95 :O

After that scare I aimed lower, tapped in the 3.36 settings and was getting 78 ish under load, but some of the threads started to crash :(

Now I'm at the manly overclock of 3.15 and my temps are 61-66 which still seem excessive for one of the best coolers there is.

At the mo I'm trying to bring my voltage down as far as poss to bring the temp under control and I have everything stable at CPU: 1.1V, PLL: 1.8V, DRAM: 1.35V, DRAM BUS 1.5V.

I wonder if something has gone wrong because I read http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/3 and was inspired but dont seem to be seeing anything like it :(

There is a chance I applied some TIM wrong but I'll elaborate if it does turn out my temps are too high :p

Cheers x

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

What were your voltages at 3.7?

I've covered a great deal of ground on this topic lately in this thread and this thread and this on as well.
    Your current voltages are low, and your DRAM voltage is possibly too low to run 1600.

Looks to me like it's a cooler problem. Try reseating, and applying fresh compound.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2009
  3. Pookeyhead

4. SwiftDestiny101

Many thanks for the speedy replies :)

I tried to bring the voltages right down as I was more concerned about the temp than the stability when I saw real temp hit 100.

My concern is when I applied my AS5 which needs to be in a line down the middle of the processor it was in a line in an up to down direction, when orientated right. Now the fenrir has 5 heat pipes on the base also in an up to down direction, so some considerable it clicked that the paste is probably only touching the middle heat pipe and maybe some of the other centre 2, but defo not the outside ones.

Would this be wrong even though I followed the AS5 instructions to the letter? >:/ If it is i'm gonna have to get me some articlean and do it again, properly....

5. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

with fenrir on it's low power setting my i7 @ 3.3ghz is constantly in the low 30's idle rising to almost 50 when gaming.

6. SwiftDestiny101

Is that due to the extra brute force cooling of the HAF? Blah, I'm just clutching at straws, my as well accept that I've gotta redo the processor :(

Seen as I've got the knowledge of your collective experience; is it completely necessary to use a cleaner to get the old stuff off. I can get another tube tomorrow if its just a case of wiping with a kitchen towel, but if not I've gotta wait for delivery from an e-tailer of cleaning goop.

Cheers :sigh:

7. Pookeyhead

Clean both the processor and heatsink thoroughly, and re-apply.

The jury is still out over which application method is best, but I tend to draw an X on the processor, with the arms of the X going right out to each corner, but with very thin lines.. less than a grain of rice... maybe 1mm. I then evenly spread it out with my finger to give a very thin layer over the entire chip. I don't apply any to the heatsink. Seat the heatsink firmly, and give a little twist as you push down (not hard enough to damage the board).

Works for me. Others may recommend a different method... so long as you use the correct amount, thats the main thing.

8. SwiftDestiny101

Cheers buddy, you've been a crackin' help, I'm gonna use the royal grease :)rock:) that came with the fenrir and see how I get on :)

9. Slizza

The airflow in the HAF is just awsome (suprisingly so) but i doubt it acounts for that amount of difference.
    It is a DO stepping chip i'm using so likely runs a little cooler if you haver another revision but again i don't think this acounts for the difference, somthing is wrong with your cooling, have another look at your whole setup and try again.
    Are you sure you have your OC using the lowest voltage possible?

10. SwiftDestiny101

Nah I have a D0 too. May I ask if you used the thermal paste bundled with the fenrir to get those temps?

11. Slizza

Yes i used the paste with the fenrir.

set your voltages to auto and star the OC from the ground up again.
    Do not change voltage untill the good ol bluescreen visits.
    I need no voltage increse to hit 3.3

12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

My DO is currently running 24/7 at 4011mhz (21x191) on 1.25v.

It's watercooled though, hits the high 50's under load and low 40's at idle. I'd definately have been worried too with those temps.

The method I use for applying TIM is to put a very small amount (large grain of rice) in the middle of the cpu and spread it all over, nice and thinly, with a plastic card (credit card style).

13. SwiftDestiny101

Right, this morning I took it all to bits and re did the thermal paste and re seated the heatsink.

Now idle I have 41,41,41,37 and 58,56,57,54 under load.....at stock :S

This still seem high to me for the "cooler" i7 with a big fat fenrir on top :( Is there anything that I could possible be doing wrong? I applied the themal paste with a business card and it all seemed to work.

One of the fins on the fenrir was slightly bent at the end when I opened the box, but of the 50 or so in its tower I dont think a tiny knock on the corner of one can have that much affect :S

Is this simply the thermal environment of the ATCS 840? I replaced the exhaust fan with a high CFM one (80 CFM) to try and improve it. Oh and I used the 8 pin processor power, not the 4, does this mean the processor is getting to much juice and getting hot?

If anyone can shed some light be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Looking at the review of the Fenrir it has a DeltaT of 17 (low speed) when idle so 40-17 = 23, does this mean that if my room temps 23 all is well in the world or am I reading this wrong? Again under load it has a DeltaT of 44 (the fans spin up to high) so effectively 60-44 = 22, similar sort of answer to the first, does this mean everything's all right?

Sorry if i'm interpreting this completely wrong, I didn't realise there was such an art form and science around thermal gunk lol :)

Last edited: 3 Jun 2009
  14. Pookeyhead

That's pretty much it, yes, and your temps are roughly what I get at idle/load at stock speeds and voltages. Mine hits 80 or so under full load at 3.8 ~ 4GHz... I'm not worried... that seems normal for a C0/C1... So when you come to clock.. don't panic if it climbs quickly... you should be able to hit these speeds and be way less than that with a D0.

15. SwiftDestiny101

Would heat be caused by my "TDP" being 147 watts? I thought the i7 only drunk 130? :S

16. Pookeyhead

At stock it should be 130... overclocked it will take more. Mine used to go up to 150... for some reason though, since I overclocked it, it never goes over 130.. LOL. I dont trust the way it's measured by things like Core Temp et al... seems flakey. The more power it draws, the hotter it will be, yes.

17. SwiftDestiny101

Is there any option in the BIOS to type this in? To manually set it to 130? i can't seem to see one on the AI tweaker menu.

Would it be linked to me using all 8 pins on the power socket next to the processor not 4? 4 were covered with a cap but I took it off as the only lead I has was an 8 pin one :S

18. Pookeyhead

Nope... it draws what it draws... it's dictated by Ohm's law... not your BIOS :)

If it's at stock speed and voltages... I doubt it's drawing 150 watts

Nothing to do with having the other power connector either.

19. SwiftDestiny101

Cheers pal, you've been a great help and put up with all the stupid questions I've thrown at you :p

I took the rear fan off an noticed the temps drop(!) after reading that if the push fan on the processor doesn't match the pull on the case it can cause turbulence or some such. To that end I've ordered another Enermax Magma to replace the stock Fenrir one. Those fans are pretty much silent at full speed so I can set them in the BIOS to run at full speed and match each others RPM/CFM :thumbsup:

20. Pookeyhead

Sounds good.. post up your findings when you get it :)