1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Looking for a 3-way sli ready psu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UltraModder, 6 Jun 2009.

1. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for a good PSU that is ready for 3-way SLI. Im looking into getting 3 EVGA GeForce 260 GPU's and need a much better power supply.

Any suggestions would be great although i dont want to pay a fortune on it.

2. crosshair

crosshair It's life Jim but not as we know it

Is this for gaming or folding?

3. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

this one might be of interest to you, Silverstone are respectable when it comes to PSUs, and its got plenty of connectivity.

I know its a little expensive, but I wouldn't skimp on money when it comes to a PSU.

4. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Gaming. Im also going to be upgrading my AMD Athlon 4850e to a Phenom x4 Black Edition so I can run 1066 Memory. I seen one that was Quad SLI ready but I cant remember where I seen it.

5. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

That psu only has 4 6pin pci-e power cables. I need at least 6 6pin pci-e or 4 6pin and 2 6+2pin pci-e connectors. I dont mind saving up like $300 or so. Since i want to do tri-sli I need a psu that can handle it.

6. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

this one will do the job well.
    1000W BE QUIET
    They are so expensive :(

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

No way man :) I don't like to recommend too high wattage PSUs for anyone, but that's not going to cut it with 3-way SLI / CFX.

I think a GTX260 has a TDP of around 180 Watts, so counting at 200 W the cards alone would add up to 600 Watts... You'd better look at the kilowatt range. It will also require 6*6-pin PCI-connector, but I'd say go for an unit with 8-pin (6+2) connectors for more future-proofing.

With 8 6+2-pin connectors and based on Jonnyguru's review, I'd say Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W seems like a good choice: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=145

Definitely not the cheapest PSU on the markets, but the cards aren't exactly cheap either...

8. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

That would be a good psu. Ill look to see if I can get it in the states. Any other suggestions?

9. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

The cards are only $159 here. Thats only $450 for 3 cards roughly. I'm thinking ill be spending another $1000 to $1200 depending on all the parts. Im just looking for a decent PSU to power everything since all the PSU's I've looked at that are SLI ready look like they only support 2-way sli. I dont mind saving up for whatever I need as long as the psu isnt an outragious amount of money.

10. crosshair

I don't want to rain on your parade and all that, and if I can let you down gently I will. Triple SLi is a no-no. 2xGTX260s (or higher) or a single GTX295 is the most SLi you should look at. Adding more will yield little if no benifits, often making the games run worse. Hence my question about folding.

11. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

12. Slizza

Do gtx 260's not have a issue where they become realy hot when in SLI?

I'm pretty sure i read that the cards don't like SLI in the way they start to become way hotter than you would like.

13. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Well thats something to consider. Ill probably be doing more stuff than gaming with my computer I still would like to get a good psu that will run tri-sli just to be safe.

14. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Once you have a good cooler you should be quite fine

15. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

I dont think ill have any troubles with heat since i keep my room like an ice cube and will have a fan blowing directly on the cards

16. crosshair

I have ten Blu LED case fans, four of which expel warm air directly off my HD4870X2. Under full load it still gets well toasty.:jawdrop:

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

18. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

19. Slizza

850w would no doubt work fine but would it not be best to get a 1000w one when running tri sli.
    Saying that i'm thinking power requirments are going to start lowering as tech improves now rather than going up as has been the case. greener smaller and running on less juice seem to be the way forward.
    I think i totaly just killed my point lol.

20. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Well I've been looking at the Ultra X3 modular PSU. They have anything from 600 to 1600 i think is the highest it goes.