1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New Rig - problems playing games

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Robt, 21 Jun 2009.

1. Robt

Robt What's a Dremel?

Just built the following

Case - Antec 1200
    Mobo- Asus P6T Deluxe v2, bios 0504
    CPU - i7 920
    Memory - 3 x 2gb corsair 1333
    HD - 2 x 1tb samsung sata2 spinpoint
    sound - creative x-fi extreme gamer
    psu - Enermax revo 85, 1050W
    CPU cooler - Titan Fenrir
    OS - Dual boot - Vista x64 and Win 7 x64
    GPU - 2gb XFX HD4870x2

Everything works fine, I can play DVD's, CD's, open programmes, pretty much everything until I play games.

Crysis will only play in a window and when I try to go full screen I get a bsod
    All other games I have tried pretty much go to bsod during initial opening sequences - ie graphics saying who game is by, intel inside etc - not even getting to the game.

All games install fine, it is just a problem as soon as the games start.

I am using the latest ATI drivers and have rolled back and tried previous drivers with no success.

I also installed and am running Win 7 to see if games run under this os but there is no difference. Windows solutions advise me to go to ATI website for drivers/ solutions but I have tried this.

The GPU is connected to the PSU by both 8 and 6 pin power connectors.

I have not oc'd the system and all is running at default at the moment.

Any ideas - or should I switch to Nvidia??

2. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

Probably the memory. Test one stick at a time.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I might also blame a faulty PSU. Seems like the system dies as soon as the power draw rises.

How about you write down the info in the BSoDs? Like the error (STOP) code and the values following it as well as the faulty module. Also, it might be an idea to enable the generation of mini dumps and take a look at them. I don't know where to enable it for Vista, but in XP you open System in Control Panel, then go to the Advanced tab and push the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. A mini dump is usually a great way to learn which piece of software failed.

4. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

Most common is psu or memory, but did you tried remove one of the 4870? Try that and tell us if worked, test both of the card´s.
    But hopefully it´s just a bios problem.

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

really nice specced system.

Something really wrong if as soon as it gets loaded it bluescreens, hope you fix it.

umm, isn't it one card.:D

[​IMG]

6. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

With the fault you describe, i would be immediately inclined to blame it on a fault with the graphics card. I would update the Mobo BIOS, the GPU bios (if possible) and the driver. If that still doesnt work, return the Graphics card to the retailer and replace.

7. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I was thinking in Crossfire, I believe was using two cards, so this why I said about the cards. (I don´t know Why I said that, maybe I was sleepy)

8. bluemarvin

bluemarvin What's a Dremel?

There's a couple of us having similar problems with new GTX275s - my symptoms are the similar to yours (except blackscreen rather than blue-screen crash).

I bet trying to run a video test like furmark causes a crash as well. Like you we have ample ratings on the PSU - but when graphics is called for, I get a black screen crash & re-boot.

I'm suspecting over-sensitive protection on the PSU (my GTX275 has tested out fine in other machines).

Try your card in another PC if possible and/or trying an older lower spec. card in your rig - I wouldn't be surprised if they both work.

Please let us know what progress you make

9. Robt

Robt What's a Dremel?

Thanks for help - but still probs - mem fine
    v frustrating as been reading custom pc for several yrs and finally took plunge to buy i7 system. Everything else works great.
    Minesweeper and solitaire fly!!!!!!!!
    Think I'll try sending card back to Scan.
    Problem I have with testing card is don't know anyone else with similar system.

10. Robt

Robt What's a Dremel?

Forgot to mention - doesn't always go to bsod now - sometimes get ATI recovery back into Windows

11. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

That sounds very much like a dodgy gfx card to me, is it perhaps overheating? (given its in a 1200 case i highly doubt it, but always worth checking)

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Maybe the cooler doesn't properly connect with the GPU? But yes, if the ATi recovery mode kicks in you're most probably dealing with graphics card issues.

13. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

It's a 4870x2, and believe me, even in an Antec 1200, it can overheat.

I'm waiting for Arctic Cooling to pull their fingers out and sell the Accelero Xtreme 4870x2 coolers. Triple slot coolers, £40-50 each, drop temperatures to 40s instead of 90s and only 10% of the noise (apparently)... I'll take 2!