1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other This is Genius - Folding 3 Pin Plug

Discussion in 'General' started by Squallers, 23 Jun 2009.

1. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Not exactly life changing but pretty cool

Just saw this on another site.

I know its not going to change lives or anything but why the hell hasn't anyone thought of this before. As far as im concerned the best thing is that it lies on its side, anyone who's ever stepped on a plug will know what im talking about.

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Saw that on engadget earlier meant to post it here too.. D'oh.

Personally I think it'll make quite a big difference if it can be certified etc, would be even nicer to have them instead of the current UK sockets (in the folded state), but I can't see that happening any time soon..

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have a couple of slimplugs for travelling purposes (PC World sold some off cheap for about 7 quid at one time), but this is a much better solution. Awesome.

4. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

what i was thinking was if they approved it as a standard for electronics sold in this country then new houses could be built with the in line sockets and adaptors or multi sockets (one normal 3-pin with some slims next to it etc). Some sort of government subsidised power cable exchange scheme would be good too and wouldnt be that complicated, how many of your electrical thingys use kettle or figure 8 leads? and surely any mildly competant person could replace a normal plug with one of these.

The problem is that when a standard has existed for so long it's really hard to change it. Especially when it's so entrenched. eg: imagine if railtrak (or whatever they're called these days) decided that Brunel was actually right and that they were going to change all the tracks in the UK to his guage

5. quack

quack Minimodder

Excellent idea.

I like that it has a handle for easy removal from the socket.

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Really, it is. She needs to patent this now - she'll make a fortune.

I'd buy them if they where available. Wouldn't you? The only thing I might worry about is the durability of the rotating portion of the plug... But if manufactured correctly, I don't think it'd be an issue.

I doubt that you'd see them as plugs you could wire onto existing cords, but I'm sure that most devices that you'd be interested in using them with would take a figure 8 cord anyway - so a complete lead replacement would be doable.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This'd be fantastic if they could integrate the charger into laptops and store it in the PCMCIA slot :D

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

that is a pretty epic idea i must admit.

how did you come across this?

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Awesome idea

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's an awesome idea. I'd invest in an instant as long as you can make 'em from solid enough plastic.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

13. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

What's your point? LOL

14. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

All very noble and patriotic etc but just a little off topic surely?

Unless you're just taking the mick out of our daft foot stabbing plugs in which case i see your point, yours are more compact and not as easy to tread on, but the song was a little ott no?

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Pfft, 13 amps at 230V RMS and you don't get killed if there's a short; I'll keep my three pin plugs thanks ;)

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

krikkit decided to unlock this and doc posts this xD

this is a very cool idea.. we have foldup plugs here and they work really well

hope she makes some good money- we need inventors instead of burger flippers flipping houses to get rich

17. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

We really do need a much better plug system here, I'd actually be happy with some kind of europlug variant maybe the german one...

A case in point, when I got my 12" PowerBook, it had this really awesome foldup american plug for the compact one, pins just flipped up into the body of the adapter when not in use... compare that to the UK one and I almost wept (gross exageration)... It's just so big and clunky, I can't see why we can't use something a bit... nicer!

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Haha, I just meant that I'm proud that my country isn't cursed with such an annoying plug. :p

Great song too. ;)

19. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

We have grounded plugs too! :p

Good idea for you UK guys. This just brings to point, the simplest things sometimes never change. Kind of how they're just shutting off over the air analog signal, here, finally in the year 2009. :rolleyes:

Some rural areas here in America, still used it up until it was shut off, however, I live in an extremely rural area, North Dakota, our town of 500 people, cable and satellite were everywhere when I was a little guy.

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

M'eh. My mobile phone came with a slightly different version of this as a charger.