1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Wall Mount Case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bfelda, 29 Jun 2009.

1. bfelda

bfelda ____

This project started out when I realized that the only item my tv stand was being used for was to hold my media center PC. I thought about using extenders, but I also do gaming on this machine. So two years ago I set out to find a wall mount computer case that the wife approved.
    From the initial searches, all I could find were laptop mounts and large metal boxes that held pc components. I needed something in the living room that was aesthetically pleasing. So I decided to design my own.
    I took this concept to some local guru's, and they showed interest. So I designed this product with ease of installation in mind, as I figured I may be making this thing for them too. My background is the installation and manufacturing of security systems, which get mounted in the wall. I took my knowledge, and known difficulties, from that industry and applied some key concepts to this product. Also, I want this case to accomodate most standard enthusiast parts, like full size ATX EPS power supplies, monster Graphics cards, at least 2 hard drives, and ATX Motherboards. Unfortunately, with the size restriction I have between wall studs (14.5") one of these had to suffer, so I bumped the motherboard requirement down to Micro-ATX.
    The product was designed in Solidworks, and brought over to 3d Studio Max to make sure it would look nice in the environment I was going for. The pics and video below were made in 3d Studio Max

The pic below is from an early design, many of the finalized parts are not figured out here yet.

[​IMG]

This following pictures are artist renderings of what the products will look like when complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As long as I was in 3dStudio, I threw together a video showing the parts installing into place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=KIjUxMd-ZPc

So Stage 1 is complete, which is the design. This week I'll be starting stage 2 which is actual product manufacturing. Most of this is simply bending aluminum, but there is one part, the large outside ring that will pose a problem. Stage 2 pics coming soon!

These video's are of the actual installation of the product. Went a little easier than I though it would.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2009
    Connection|Closed likes this.
  2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Nice idea! I'll be watching this.

3. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

I like how in the last render it looks like there's an Arc reactor in there.
    And the way you're doing the Hard drives is awesome.
    I'm watching.

4. bfelda

bfelda ____

The harddrive location was a tough one, but it really gets them out of the way, and first in line to the cool air. It was one of those, ahah, moments when I realized that, since I am going inside the wall, Items can drop in behind the wall once the main box was in place. I already have the second gen design in process which will accomodate 4 drives, and have options for 2.5" drives

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

sweet renders

I'm keeping my eye on you (and your project log :))

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

very nice concept.
    am watching :)

7. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

Looks cool mate

8. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

sweet. you are actually mounting the case in the wall. sounds epic

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Cant wait to see this get off the ground :p (no pun intended) some nice animation work to dude

10. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Looks sweet, I'll keep watching

11. bfelda

bfelda ____

So as I do not have the tooling capabilities to meet the tolerences required for this peice, I had them made out of house. The first piece made is the main back box, which I needed to create the template for the wall cutout.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I went through a couple trial runs to get the cutout correct

[​IMG]

The final Template

[​IMG]

Main Case installed in sample board

[​IMG]

Backside of installed board. The case only goes back 3 inches, allowing 1/2 inch for wires.

[​IMG]

The Hard Drive Enclosures also came in, but I found out that the holes for them to slide into are a little too tight :sigh:, so dremmel friend and I will be at work tonight modifying that, and I should have some pics of that installed tomorrow!

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd close up the holes for the wiring with something. The wife will be pissed the first time she sees a silverfish wandering around in your case.
    Here it would be full of roaches. You can seal the house up pretty well and keep them out, but the attic and anywhere a wire or pipe runs is still their domain.

13. bfelda

bfelda ____

I've been giving that some thought for dust entry. I didn't think of bugs though :duh:. I'll have to bump that one up on my priority list. Thanks for the catch:thumb:

14. Alx

Alx 3²Gaming

never thought of doing something like this for a case, really original!! noice!

15. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed What's a Dremel?

Genius idea! +1

I'll be following this one! Good Luck

16. WakoNako

WakoNako What's a Dremel?

I want!! lol

17. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

nice Idea... very unique... subbed.

18. longwing

longwing What's a Dremel?

Wow, this will look quite beautiful when constructed. From an engineering standpoint, I love what you're doing with the hard drives.

I'm guessing the main IOs (KB and mouse) will be wireless. Are you planning on adding any additional user-accessible ports? A spare USB for unexpected contingencies, for example?

The system absolutely begs for an IR remote too, if you don't already have one.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for sharing!

19. bfelda

bfelda ____

Thanks! I am planning on going wireless with the Keyboard and mouse and Remote. One big design goal was to have room for receivers. In my case, I have 3, and one of them is huge. There are two external USB ports included in the design, since it won't be too easy to get to the on-board ports.

20. bfelda

bfelda ____

Alright, I got the hard drives able to fit into place and have completed the remaining parts. So on with the mock up.

Hard Drive Cases

[​IMG]

Hard Drive Cases installed in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motherboard Mount

[​IMG]

Motherboard mount hanging in place, not secured yet. If your wondering how the graphics card top port can be used, I found a site with 90 degree angle dvi and vga cables, so I made sure that this design can fit them in.

[​IMG]

Power Supply Bracket

[​IMG]

Power Supply Bracket clipped into place, not yet secured. The difference with a case like this is that the case will need to be in the wall, vertical, while the components are being installed. You can't build it on a bench. So I made the parts able to be temporarily hang and clip into place so I wouldnt have to hold them while securing them with hardware.

[​IMG]

Circular Housing. This piece was a bear to get sized correctly and keep its shape. This piece is also visible post-installation, so it needed a little powder coating to cover up the weld marks. This piece has the power button and 2 USB ports.

[​IMG]

Circular Housing installed.

[​IMG]

Acrylic Covers. I made one tinted black and one frosted white, mainly because my wife doesn't like the tinted black one. I on the other hand would go with the tinted black over the frosted white. So once I install the frosted white one in the living room, I'll get some pics :sigh:

[​IMG]

White Frosted cover with optical drive installed. This is made to accommodate a slim optical drive with or without the adapter bracket.

[​IMG]

Black cover installed

[​IMG]

White cover installed. I may have to paint the circular enclosure a darker color when using the frosted cover to contrast it better.....unless she likes it this way. I'll also have to figure something better for the optical drive and power supply which are going to be butted up right against the acrylic. Bah, who needs an optical drive anyways.

[​IMG]

Now to install it in its final resting place and fill it with the goods. All components will be full size except for the optical drive and MicroATX motherboard. I will be fitting a Zalmann 9700 into this thing. Keep an eye out for the update.

I am new to this site, and am absolutely amazed at the talent here. After looking at all the great work, I think my next task will be to mod my own case. This thing is a pretty open canvas.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2009