News ATI Stream SDK 2.0 beta 2 lacks OpenCL GPU support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Aug 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Told ya. Though I do doubt that OpenCL will make things faster. If AMD doesn't manage to make its own efficient vendor specific API an open API won't help.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

now I thought OpenCL was more so for the physics sides of things at least thats what people always talked about, I guess I will have to read up more on OpenCL

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's for anything that isn't graphics processing and physics is one task that OpenCL can be used for. Havok is adopting OpenCL and I'm hoping Nvidia will do the same for PhysX. It makes sense for consumers and hopefully common sense prevails. (GPU accelerated) OpenCL can also be used to accelerate video transcoding, video decoding, encryption/decryption and anything that is heavily threaded - the benefit is that if the application is written correctly, it should spread tasks across all available processors that support OpenCL (i.e. CPU and GPU).

KoenVdd, developers have had good success speeding things up with Nvidia's C for CUDA API, so I've got high hopes for OpenCL.

5. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

What OpenCL really brings to the table is standardization. Once a developer can write the same code that can work on ANY GPU and/or CPU, that will open the doors to using the power of current GPUs EVERYWHERE. Lack of a standard API is what's really holding back the progress right now.

6. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

I don't know....I'm not an Nvidia fanboy and my current graphics cards is an Ati 3870x2....but Ati just don't seem to have the push that Nvidia does.....more games are optomised for Nvidia by way of their TWIMTBP....their drivers are often better optomized.....Ati had DX10.1 but never pushed home the advantage and now after apparently holding back on GPGPU awaiting a common API (or that was their excuse for doing nothing) while Nvidia pushed ahead with CUDA they now are not ready for it????

I'm kind of glad that someone has found a way to run SLI on the X38 chipset.

7. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

I'm basing myself on that nVidia is almost twice as fast in f@h because they expose some high speed shared memory to be shared between threads which allows to skip so double computations, in CUDA, among other things. Now unless the f@h developers are lazy for not trying to make use of everything AMD offers or AMD has not yet chosen to expose all of their hardware features (dispite all my love for AMD, I do get the feeling they have a habbit of implementing features without making them usable), AMD is probably not going to magically catch up to nV with OpenCL. Don't expect f@h to bring out a OpenCL client anytime soon. But who knows, maybe OpenCL will make it easier to write efficient code. OpenCL will mainly make it possible to write vendor independant gpgpu, things may start going faster because optimizations can easily be shared and possibly more effort is going to put in gpgpu now you don't have to choose between vendor API's. But it won't expose any magic features that will make things faster for either party.

8. Goty

Goty Minimodder

NVIDIA had more influence because they could toss money at developers/programmers. That's strictly what the TWIMTBP program is.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Pretty much, DX10.1 was halted due to Nvidia's complaint to Microsoft that their cards couldn't support it.

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well more so to the gaming industry then to MS, thus the patch for Assassins Creed that downgraded it from 10.1 to 10 ~_~

11. aussiebear

aussiebear What's a Dremel?

Beta 4 release just came out! It now supports Radeon HD 4xxx and 5xxx series GPUs!
    => http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

Tags: Add Tags