1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V what to do with BT Vision Digital TV Receiver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jake9891, 24 Aug 2009.

1. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

Hi there, my friend gave me for free BT Vision Digital TV Receiver, because he was moving out to different country and the question is what can I do with it? I don't have any contracts with BT, beside BT phone line and I don't even know exactly how this digital tv receiver works, but is there anything I can do with it? use it as freeview box? I've read somewhere that these receivers are blocked and can be only used after signing contract with BT for BT Vision, but maybe somebody knows what it can be used for? If there is nothing I can do with it without buying BT vision or w/e then I guess I will take the HDD out and throw it away. Anyway if you have any ideas let me know in this thread ;) thx

Jake

2. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Sweet FA.

You need to have an active BT Broadband line, and BT Vision setup on your account.
    There were some guys working on hacking the box so that it can be used as a stand alone twin tuner Freeview recorder (Which is exactly what it is, pretty good one too, albeit locked down by BT firmware), but i don't think they got very far.

Best bet, pull the hard drive out and sling it on ebay, along with the remote. You might get 20 quid in total.

Failing that, table weight or doorstop.

3. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

LOL That is actually pretty good idea :p

I think I will try to sell it on eBay or just use HDD for some backups ;) thx