1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Needs a cheaper Graphics Card (recommendations)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hm1992, 1 Sep 2009.

1. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

I started a thread a while back about graphics cards and decided on the radeon hd 4770 unfortunately i can no longer spend that amoubnt of money on a graphics card. I bought a radeon hd 4730 from microdirect today and have just found that it is a dual slot card and my pci-e slot is the top slot on my motherboard.
    I have a 1440 x 900 moniter and mixed gaming tastes.
    I'm currently running an ageing geforce 7300le.
    The card needs to be single slot, around £50 to £60 and realatively cool (After opening the case I see that there is not brilliant cooling in there).
    I have a 350W PSU with plenty of power left according to the calculator online.
    Is it possible to fit a single slot bracket to my 4730 to make it fit??
    Help please (asap if I have to take the thing back)

2. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Do you mean a half height bracket?

3. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

No not even that.
    My radeon hd 4730 has a double slot cooler which could easily fit in the case but it also has a double slot backplate and because on my motherboard the pci-e x16 slot is the top one there is no room for that 2 plate plate.
    After research it boils down to the radeon hd 4670 vs a single slot 9600gt but if there are any more options I am open to suggestions.
    I was hoping it would be possible to change the double slot back plate for a single slot one on this card, wonder if this has been done, I would like a warranty though...

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

of those two i'd go for the 9600, simply because i know its a decent card. you'll get good gaming performance at that res from it

EDIT: dave is right you just need a new card, changing the back plate not really an option

5. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

you can get single slot back plates but why is it you need one? If the slot below your PCI-E slot is taken then no matter what you do, a dual slot cooler will ... need to be removed.

6. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

No its because in my stupid dell the pci-e is the top slot, there is room in the case for the card, just no room for a backplate, really annoying. I think i'll swap it for a hd4670 unless there are any better singles slot gaming cards for that kind of money (ie. <£70)

7. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

I'd go for the 9600gt - I ran one for a while before upgrading playing the usual suspects (Crysis, COD etc) with very good frame rates. The old card is now in one of the kids computers and running the Sims like there's no tomorrow.

With the res you're running at you'll have no problems with decent FPS even with the latest games. You might need to sacrifice a bit of AA, but they're very good cards IMHO.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2009
  8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

why not switch the case ?

or is it super uber specilized ultra dell customised ?