1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films District 9

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 5 Sep 2009.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Just got back from seeing it. My impression overall was that it felt a lot like children of men, with aliens. Pretty good, and surprisingly good effects for a relatively low budget, but a bit too much mindless action for my tastes. I would have preferred a little more plot exposition, more stuff about MNU and their aims, and perhaps a couple character development dialogues with Vickers (sp?) and Christopher. 4/5 I'd say.

(did anyone else notice that there were a LOT of F-bombs being dropped in this movie? towards the end it seemed that Vickers' main form of communication was FCM (f*** code modulation)...

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've just been to see this too, I liked it a lot.

There could've been more plot, but I think we're lined up for a sequel with more stuff revealed tbh. I love the mad rampage at the end, rail/gas fragment guns are win.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Yea, I noticed it, but then again, people do swear. I know I do when I'm in pain, or about to do something that could be potentially very painful/embarrassing. It's funny how Liverpudlian he sounded when shouting "Fookin' prawn". Made me chuckle :p

Also, I think it's Wickes, or something like that. Starts with a W...

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

W but thick accented saffies often pronounce them as V's like Germans...as I understand it anyway.

5. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Watched this film last night with the other half and we both loved it, although she felt a bit sick in places due to the gore.

So refreshing to see a sci-fi film being a bit different and not just ticking Hollywood boxes. I go to the cinema about 3 times a month and after having to see a load of dross this summer, along with Moon, this is my favourite film.

Edit: Also loved the Half-Life references.

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

His name is Wikus Van De Merwe.

On a slightly related note Sharlto Copely who played Wikus Van De Merwe is looking like he is in line to play 'Mad' Murdoch in the A-Team reboot along with Liam Neeson as Hannibal and Bradley Cooper as Face with the strong likelihood of Quinton “Rampage” Jackson from UFC taking the BA Baracus role. This is casting I strongly approve of and I am now looking forward to this reboot a lot.

7. will.

Moon was great. My only annoyance was that someone told me there was a twist, so I was determined to figure it out, which I did within about 20 minutes and then spent the rest of the film wondering if it was really that obvious... I'm looking forward to the blu ray so I can watch it a bit more chilled :p

Also, it reminded me of anything Gerry Anderson; the vehicles had slight that floaty look about them, perfect for the setting.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Mate... I figured out the twist before i'd even seen it, based purely on the trailer. To be fair the reveal is very early on in the movie; it's not so much a twist as an integral part of the storyline.

Then again, I read a LOT of Clarke/Asimov so that kind of concept is not alien to me. Great, great movie, that was. AND YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES FOR NOT GOING TO SEE IT. Looking forward to BD release. District 9, not so much, tbh. It was good, but tbh I preferred 500 days of summer.

9. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Personally, I thought it was weak, it just seemed really cheesey and too drab (especially the plot). House mate's enjoyed it so wasn't a complete waste of orange wednesday!

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just saw this tonight and I have to agree that I don't want to see a sequel made. It ended with as much mystery as it started with and most people will be able to make their own minds up as to what happens next, although some of the stuff in the middle could have been built upon and used a little bit more plot development.

In all though, I think there was enough balance between the story for me to care enough about the aliens' situation, and action to make it exciting. I don't think the action sequences were mindless because they fit into the storyline and pacing of the film quite well, but could have done with less people exploding as that didn't really seem to go along with the feel of the film (it made me laugh when I don't think I should have been laughing). Although I must say that from reading this thread I was expecting it to be much more gory than it actually was. Ah well, I guess I must be desensitised to gore now (or you're all just big girls :p).

Oh, and if you think this film had a lot of plot holes, then I also saw a trailer for 2012 and boy are you going to have a field day with that one (*still waiting for Roland Emmerich to consult one non-crackpot scientist*).

11. Krikkit

I agree on 2012, that looks like utter dogshit. Did you see the trailer for Whiteout as well? Talk about giving away the whole plot in a trailer... :\

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Nope, but I did see one for Pandorum, which looks to be just about the most generic slasher-in-space film that I've seen, and one for Surrogates, which actually looks like it has the potential to be quite good (a friend assured me that it's based on a graphic novel, but it reminded me more of a cross between The Matrix and Minority Report).

13. Krikkit

Surrogates looks pretty good, but I was disappointed with Pandorum. In the first 10 seconds I thought "Oooh, an original plot, this could be good" which was then smashed by the obvious, generic slasher/loud-music-creates-false-suspense "horror" shite.

14. will.

I don't watch trailers, I pick up on hype, and who's directing etc etc and base what I watch on that. Except for Avatar, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. :p

I think the issue was, the person who told me there was a twist, made it sound like some kind of awesome reveal, so that was what I was expecting.

15. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Went to see it yesterday, really enjoyed it.

A sequel would be a great excuse to have a massive human versus alien fight, with man/prawn saving the day.

16. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

See I don't think they even needs to have the interstellar aspect in the first sequel, it can all be about Wikus & his wife.

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah sod his wife. I wanna know why the prawns came to Earth in the first place!

18. will.

"Baby... I think I **** in my pants"

19. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

PRAWNS....lmfao

'The Cat Food Scam' ........howling!

Epic

20. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

The South African accent of the main guy was brilliant. Was a really good film, there was a bit in the middle that it seemed to drift, but it came back for solid ending.