1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What to upgrade for $500 (ish)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yourcomputer, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Yourcomputer

Yourcomputer What's a Dremel?

Current spec's are in my signature, and I was just wondering what would end up being the best upgrade i could do for around $500-600.

This will probably be my last upgrade to my desktop before college (summer), as then I suppose I'll get my Laptop.

I was thinking I'd spend $150 on a new GPU

4870 1gb

Was the front runner at the moment, but I suppose if i wait until 5870 comes out that maybe the 4890 or a 5770 will fall into that price point and beat it in value.

Then I was thinking another $100 would be best spent on a powersupply

OCZ 700W Modular PSU

Seems good, but any other suggestions that would be better would be appreciated.

$200 on a solid state drive would be the largest upgrade (i think)

64gb Crucial SSD

Seems to be the value leader at the moment.

The final piece of the puzzle that is required is Windows 7. Hoping to get it around $100.

Any suggestions on changes to spending money?

Could i bypass the $100 powersupply and stay with my 550W Antec with 42A on the +12v rail?

I know the i5 seems tempting, but that entitles new motherboard and ram and that would leave very little if any money for anything else.

Also the pc is for web browsing, watching movies, converting movies, playing call of duty (1, 4, waw and hopefully MWF2).

2. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

If you really really really want to change something i'll say graphics card, mobo, ram.

The power supply is fine, i'd recommend geting a board for DDR3 ram, as for graphics card...you can wait till directx or get the 4870 (that's the one i have). Really good value there.

Apart from that, your stuff looks good enough to me, and if i would really only change the GPU

I have the same chip, but on the msi 790fx gd70 board with OCZ ddr3 1600s

3. Yourcomputer

Yourcomputer What's a Dremel?

I don't really wanna buy ddr3 at the moment as it would offer very little performance increase for a lot of money if i just stuck with the amd x3.

Are SSD's still too young to make sense to buy?

4. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

SSD's are great when you have bottomless pockets, so i'd stick with conventional HDD's.