RANT: Bit-Tech forums = EPIC FAIL

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Gareth24, 26 Sep 2009.

1. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

I like CustomPC mag and the article included in it, but i am finding out more and more how rubbish bit-tech forums really is! I mean threatening to ban peoples accounts just because they have a fellow bit-tech users name in their tag and sig is just bloody stupid isn't it??

:miffed:RANT OVER:miffed:

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Care to post an example? I've not seen that happen and if it did there's probably a good reason.

Moriquendi

3. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Another user's name or the name of another account owned by you? "Folding = Votick" gives the impression that you're saying you're also known by that name, and more than one account is disallowed.

4. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

I fold along with votick a mate from college so understandably decided to carry on folding under his name as he had already started and i was a newbie. I have been on the forum for a few months now and today all of a sudden recieve a message from a mod saying that mine and his accounts will get shut down as i have folding = voitick as my tag nd our websites in my sig. see the good reason for it??

5. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

folding = votick is ment to say that although my username is gareth24 i fold jointly under the name of votick, i own this acount nd votick own his account.

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm a bit disappointed to see this thread. As far as I was aware this was being handled well and you received a polite PM to ask if you had two accounts. Unfortunately you didn't reply to the PM with the details you've just given above as that would've cleared it up nicely.

The mod who contacted you was only doing his job. Rules are rules and it's a thankless task, but we do what we can to make this community work. I'm sorry you feel you've been wronged by all of this :(

7. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

Hex - i wasn't asked that i was told that if i didn't shut down one of the accounts they would both be banned. so following this i replied asking for the details of the other account that had not been metioned. I then recieve a message that i fell was aggressively asking me why i have 2 accounts under the same name - nothing to do with what i had asked. surely with a bit of reading u would of seen on either his or my profile that votick is a folding team made up of chris gareth and ali (who has since stopped folding with us) instead of all this hasle!

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

OK, it seems some wires have been crossed here. But if two accounts share the same IPs and have the same link in their sigs (especially when it's one of the usernames) it has to be followed up. The reason multiple accounts are banned is to protect you guys not us.

I have flagged this up in the mod's room...

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I have to agree with Hex here. At least we gave you a chance to give an explanation because quite often there is an explanation for this sort of occurance.

Having a fellow bit-tech user's name in the custom tag is not an offence but does raise concerns which we will aim to resolve. This is why we contacted you for an explanation, not only for your name tag or signature but also IP addresses.

You will find that many forums (or any sort of account) will forbid multiple accounts, equally many forums will not allow threads which diminish the site's reputation and thus remove it. I hope you will find that we are not one of these and we strive to make this a good community and one of the tasks in doing so is ensuring people do not abuse the forums with multiple accounts.

I trust this issue has been resolved?

10. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

I don't know much about IP address but we both attend the same college (mon-fri) so we both access the forum while there. would this be the reason why the IP address' are the same??

moving on to getting this resolved - so it's sorted that we can both keep our accounts they way they are without any more problems or do we to sort something else out??

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It does sound like you've got the wrong idea here.

We have to check for multiple accounts, I was trying to be concise and clear about what and why I contacted you, although you seem to have misconstrued it as hostile.

Either way, you have a good explanation for our misunderstanding, so I can't see why it should be a problem. You have to admit that logging in from the same place, and linking to another account merits an ask; it's not you with two accounts, so there's no issue.

If you really feel you have been mistreated I'm sorry, but that's the way the rules are laid out here (for me and you), quite a few forums would have just banned both of you instantly without asking.

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Just give him a refund of the forum membership fee.

Oh wait, hang on ;)...

13. The Googler

The Googler The Forum Superhero

It's pretty important if you ask me

Not saying you're using it maliciously or anything.

This account is bindi approved by the way. I just couldn't resist the iropnic factor.

Anyway,

I'm off, faster than the speed of love!

Ending Credits likes this.
  14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

i came in here expecting EPIC FAIL. instead, i got minor fail. very disappointed

15. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

"If this post is not up to your standards, please lower your standards."

:hehe:

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So are you saying you have a second account on this forum?

I demand IP logs!

:p

17. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

ok i see your point just could of been delt with better :D

18. RTT

RTT #parp

:( I was enjoying that

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

It does seem a shame tht things came to this, I too would have been miffed if I had similar mail. Both myself and my father have an account and I believe my brother does too (if he got around to setting it up). That's 3 accounts on one IP. That potentially means that because of how the rules are set and the meassures laid to maintain them that I and my father and brother would get banned?? A little "shoot first, questions later" orientated isn't it...

Andy

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Shoot first, ask questions later would be to ban you straight off, then fire an email to all the accounts.

This is, as they say, ask questions first, then shoot.