1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No Modern Warfare 2 demo or beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Sep 2009.

1. DarkRose

DarkRose What's a Dremel?

I don't buy any games anymore without a demo. Too many games with excellent reviews that I just don't/didn't care for. The exception might be Fallout 3 which I still intend to pick up when finances permit...
    No demo, no sale (at least for me.)

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

In all honesty, in the last few years a demo has never changed my opinion of a game. I've played demos of games I was going to buy anyway, and played demos of games I never was, but it's never given me an indication of the game I previously didn't already have.

Information surrounding games is so numerous and readily available these days that, unlike days or yore, you can usually learn a huge amount about a game without playing a demo. True, for some unknowns, or for genres you're not used to, they can be vital, but I guarantee everyone here knows, more or less, exactly what MW2 will play like. Who needs a demo?

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

MW was the top-selling game worldwide for 2007, reaching over seven million copies by January 2008, and over 13 million by May 2009. There's your demo. If you don't already care about MW2, Activision doesn't care about you. They have 13 million people to make DLC for.

Edit: Come to think of it, is there anyone on here that bought MW1 but won't be buying 2? I know there are a few people on here that think it's pants, but did any of you actually purchase it?

I was bought MW as a gift for Christmas 07 and I have to say, was pleasantly surprised at how fun I found both single player and multiplayer. The only reason I stopped playing was because I lost all the levelling I had made in multiplayer after a reformat (they had better keep that server side this time).

There are a few games out this year I care about more than MW2, but I will be picking it up once I see it on sale. I still feel like it's more justified as a sequel than L4D2, and I'd bet anything that it sells more than the original.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

This may well actually be Activision's sentiments... however, it's a dangerous game to play. Such arrogance isn't usually rewarded.

MW, developed my Infinity Ward, was a good game. In I'm fully expecting MW2 to be a good game. However, I don't trust Activision - why on earth did they call Treyarch back for CoD5??

I'm not going to spend hard-earned money on an unknown, especially when the publisher is trying hard to drive prices up. If I don't get a demo, I have to waited for detailed pro reviews followed by user reviews - now, I don't mind waiting... the longer I wait the cheaper it will be.

But Q4 is the busiest time of the year for sales, and consequently, lots of publishers release their biggest games during this period. So if I can't rely on MW2, I'm going to spend my money on one of the many other AA/A titles that I'm waiting to launch.

It's Activision's call entirely; I have absolutely no loyalty with them or to the franchise - it's just one of many good ones on the market. If they p*ss me about, my money will go to one of the other companies who expended some extra effort to accommodate me.

It's a buyer's market.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

They do it on an alternating basis so it gives each developer 2 years dev time for each game, which means that (theoretically at least) each game should be of a decent standard and sufficiently advanced from the last in the series while still being able to release one every year.

Obviously most people would prefer to have a better game once every 2/3 years than having to buy one each year, but Activision knows the CoD sells like the proverbial hot cakes, so it's understandable that they'd want to make as much profit from the series while it's still popular and people are still buying it. Give it another few years and I think people will become bored with this strategy and they'll have to try something different (I can't think of any other game series apart from sports sims that release a new title every single year without fail), but for now it shows no sign of stopping.

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

A noble aspiration, except that the Infinity Ward versions are the good versions, and the Treyarch versions are the weak ones. The franchise is positively schizophrenic! There is no continuity from one game to the next.

But as you stated, I don't think Activision have finished milking this cash-cow just yet...

7. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

No really, a demo does nothing for most game type to tell you anything about whether you like a game or not, just not enough game time.

As for batman, your nuts if you didnt like that game, the demo is poor compared to the game itself, case in point, the story, characters, hidden things to find, combat, gadgets, you get almost none of that in the demo.

8. Lepermessiah

Yup, Demos are overrated, ther eis more then enough to know whether I will like a game or not, I have never payed for a game i didn't like, plenty of info around.

9. Lepermessiah

naive Cheesecake, the games are Mainstream filler, hyped as being realistic when it is a dumbed down arcade shooter. If you think these games are hyped up based off of content your more naive then i thought, the game industry is the only one around where its reviews are done by the same companies who profit from advertising dolalrs from such hyped games. 10/10 for GTA 4, lol, need I say more.

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I couldn't agree with you less. I prefer the the SP far more than the MP.

Sam

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I got that from the demo (the true-to-the-comic-atmosphere), it was the gameplay that disapointed me, it is aconsolated.

12. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I don't think I've ever heard the claim of a CoD game being realistic, they are clearly arcade shooters. That doesn't mean they're terrible, and a lot of people like that a lot more than realism. This campaign against dumbing down of gaming I can get behind to a certain extent (eg system shock to bioshock), but CoD has always been CoD. It has earned its reputation on its own merits, and when 13 million people enjoy something and you feel at odds with it you shouldn't cry foul. Yes it is mainstream, yes it is arcadey, yes there should be realistic alternatives, and there are. You just sound bitter that they aren't popular enough.

In terms of GTA4, first of all most companies separate their marketing and journalist side completely, simply to avoid that integrity issue. I also agree that it should have not received a 10/10. It had many flaws but to be fair so does any game of that sheer scope. You have to remember that positive reviews are inherent of an enthusiast press. Most GTA4 reviews would have been made by fans of the GTA series as head editors often first dibs on the games they really want, and as the biggest and by far most visually impressive GTA initial impressions are going to be glowing.

I have to wonder though why you place such emphasis on review scores. Is there a GTA clone you thought was much better than GTA4? Because as far as I can see, GTA4 is by far the most impressive attempt at the genre it's in, which some would assume means it is deserving of a 10/10. If you don't like the genre, then should high metacritic scores matter to you? I don't knock high sports game scores just because I will never enjoy them. You should be able to conclude whether you enjoy a game or not based on the text of the review, not the score. If that's not the case, you need to find a different website to read. There's got to be at least one other games reviewer out there with a similar mindset to you.

13. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity, how would you have made the stealth and combat mechanics more PC centric?

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Fail.

There is nothing about the game that screams 'realistic military simulator'. Nothing. And I have never heard it being touted as such, not by the developers, press or fans. That's not why I buy the games. I know they're arcade shooters, and yet I still buy them. Because they're fun. Apparently, 13 million people agree with me. Arcade shooter =/= crap in the same was as realistic shooter =/= awesome.

If I want realism, I'll get ARMA II or OFP 2, thanks (which I am planning to do, BTW).

15. Lepermessiah

No it isn't. How else could they make an action adventure game non-consolated? Doesn't even make sense, thet gameplay is outstanding, and the demo only shows a fraction of the gamepklay possibilites, lots of stuff missing, lots.

16. Lepermessiah

Fail? UI fail at reading, I sai it is NOT realistic at all, just is hyped by IW to be, Learn some comprehension and come back please.

17. Lepermessiah

The ole, I have nothing so Ill bring up sales which mena nothing argument. The SALES only show how the game is castrated for the masses. Sales do not mean quality, as we often see, just look at movies and music, tonnes od examples. games are becoming the same more main streamm appeal so 12 yr olds can play and have a blast without thought.

18. Lepermessiah

LOL, exactly, u can't, he is just throwing crap on the wall hoping it sticks.

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

IW described it as 'intense', but they don't refer it is as 'realistic' - citations, please.

Wind your neck in....

20. Lepermessiah

Wrong, many times it is hyped in videos as a realistic experience, I ahve seen videos and interviews with them saying this, and many consoe, morons will say how realistic it is LMAO.

Tags: Add Tags