1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Music games blamed for falling game sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sofalover

sofalover What's a Dremel?

Did they honestly think sales would continue to grow, forever?

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I think people are wising up.... ZOMG!!! look Guitar Hero 37,934... I MUST HAVE IT.... not

4. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

first they blame piracy then the internet lol with almost all music tracks on older rockbands why don't they blame that ....maybe ppl just don't want to buy your crap music games and re download/pay again for the songs they want?

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009
  5. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

They need to start including groupies with every preorder. Maybe a drug addiction kit.

6. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Agreed.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well band specific titles never really sell all that well so I'm not surprised Beatles Rock Band isn't doing too well, especially since there aren't a lot of Beatles fans in Rock Band's target demographic.

As for Guitar Hero 5, I think people have just wizened up to the fact that the guitar hero franchise has turned to **** now Activision took it over. Really, the only thing you need is Rock Band 2 and a load of MS points to download the songs you like.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

When will they ever realise that we dont want the same game rehashed over and over, Where's the new games, the innovation if i got 1 great, interesting new game a year id be happy. Stop raping the same ideas and give us some new ones god damn it!!

9. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

i agree that is the only music game title you need especially with a the song catalogue is near a 1000 now, but I think that people are generally getting bored with the novelty that GH and RB once had. once you have a played the guitar, drums, bass and had a sing-a-long what else can you really do with it???

its a toy with a limited scope at the end of it.

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

and a fold up interactive stage. wireless of course

11. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

The problem here is Activision et al. are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

On one hand they sell Guitar Hero and RockBand as 'platforms', you buy the package once and download whatever songs appeal to you. A sound business model.

However they're trying to pair that with annual releases and bundles. It doesn't work and defeats the object of the original platform. Imagine having to buy a new Xbox/PS3 every year.

Add the fact that IMO they severely overestimated The Beatles appeal and demographic. No doubt they still have a lot of fans, but the vast majority have no interest whatsoever in buying a video game for a console they probably don't even own.

And Van Halen? Are you kidding me? At most that should of been a track pack. There was so little interest in that game Activision gave it away for free.

Then there's the most fundamental problem. Musical instruments are truly things of beauty, they look great in your home and say a lot about the owner. Plastic toys with 5 buttons are not the same thing.

12. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

13. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

Nail and Head

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'd rather have a plastic guitar I use than a real guitar I don't play.

15. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

And that's totally cool.

But you have to understand that the market The Beatles RockBand and GH Van Halen would appeal to probably don't appreciate endless plastic instruments cluttering their homes.

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Oh diddums, did the bubble burst. Pehaps now they'll get back to making games for gamers. Nobody needs multiple music games.

17. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Rock Band 2 had over 100 tracks on it when you included the 20 free downloadable tracks. The Beatles Rock Band has less than 50. That is the problem. My wife and I played through TBRB in one night (guitars only, drums are too loud for our apt). RB2 took us over a month because it not only had more tracks, but the story mode is much longer.

They keep releasing more games with less value. Full games should have more songs for the money than track packs do. Lego Rock Band is shaping up to disappoint, though I will probably pick it up just so I can rip RB2 and sell it.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

At least it's not Piracy, this week.

19. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

There's already saturation in the music game market. They can't continue to expect growth forever. And ODST didn't review near as well as the other Halo games and wasn't promoted as heavily.

Also, "begging the question" doesn't mean what you think it means.

20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Basically Music Games equalled New and Innovative, Now they are seen and done. Time to get creative Activision.

Tags: Add Tags