1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 XBL Preview (Oct '09 - Facebook/Twitter/LastFM/Zune/News)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 23 Oct 2009.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Anyone else on this preview? :)

I do like it so far, although there are some niggly bits. The social networking apps seem to be removed from the 360 experience itself which I think detracts from the point of them a little.

I did enjoy logging in to LastFM and listening to my music library there, although I have upnp media servers installed so could listen to my own music anyway. Nice that it scrobbles though.

Facebook looks like it's had the most time spent on it. I think it works pretty well. I haven't got any achievements yet, but as I've got my XBL account linked to my Facebook account now I think it should update it (though it should be noted mine did this anyway as there have been apps to update your status around for a while).

Twitter isn't all that useful for me at the moment, not because I don't use it, I do. A lot. The 360 isn't the best place to use it though as it has no browser so every time I saw a tweet with a link I had to use my netbook to look at it instead. It also doesn't tie in with your XBL account so it won't update when you get achievements (there are some services around that do this though).

I was really excited about the Zune HD marketplace as I've read that they've really improved streaming for people with less than great internet connections (that'd be me). Sadly there's nothing there I want to watch. I've either seen them, got them, or I have no interest in the films available. Might've been nice to add a short free HD clip we could test with.

I couldn't check out the Inside News feature as it's US only.

[EDIT]I just forced myself to play some GH:WT to get a couple of achievements and can now confirm neither my Facebook nor my Twitter updated.[/EDIT]

N.B. Please don't reply to this just to say you don't like Twitter/Facebook/LastFM, etc. I don't care and if that's all you have to say I'll just delete your post. Thanks. :thumb:

Last edited: 23 Oct 2009
  2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hmm that kinda sucks, I never make the effort to login to the twitter site so I'll probably not take the effort to use it on the 360 either (especially since I don't have a chat pad). I only ever use it when I've got a desktop widget of some sort.

I could see myself using the facebook app if I were on a TV downstairs or whatever, but I'm at my PC when I'm playing my 360.

3. Hex

Yeah, the Facebook and LastFM apps benefit from being things you can just sign into and forget until you're feeling lazy and want to use them (seeing facebook photos on my big TV was pretty nice). The Twitter one falls down here because even if I decide to use it just to check tweets rather than post them, I can't with about 80% of them because they contain links and photos. I also don't like the way Twitter doesn't automatically log you in. It remembers your details but sits waiting for you to press the login button.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Whenever I tried to get into the preview program signup site I'd get an error, so in the end I didn't bother.

I was interested in seeing how the facebook/twitter interaction worked but thinking about it I don't feel it will be worth using unless MS add browser support to the 360.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Wake me when iPlayer is available.

6. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I've been accepted, no update yet though :(. i have the email though.

7. Hex

I was lucky enough to get on Wave #1 of the roll-out and I also managed to miss all the issues with the MS Connect site. Woo :D

I doubt iPlayer will happen any time soon, but SkyPlayer starts in a few days (Tuesday 27th), definitely gonna give that a go as we can't get cable here and I'm not allowed a pikeydish.

I agree MS needs to add a browser. It'll make all this stuff so much better. Twitter without a browser is so neutered.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

How do I get on the beta list?

9. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

same, i got the email but no update on my xbox yet.

10. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Have applied for the XBL Update preview but have yet to receive the update :( Looking forward to trying out Facebook and Last.fm the most, as I don't Twitter and it would be nice to have some music in my living room without buying a radio.

11. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

http://connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate

It used to be there, but I just checked it again and they've put up a notice saying they are no longer accepting additional beta testers.

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Agreed. If they can get sky to put their cack on it, why can't they let the lovely BBC people in :naughty:.

Hex, somehow you are on my xbl (at least I think it's you?), gosh you sign in a lot :p

13. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The PS3 has iPlayer on it.. Most handy.
    Hex; Is it confirmed that you will still need to pay for the Sky streaming service over XBL as well as need an XBL gold account?

14. Panomama

I have it now. It's good.

15. Panomama

I think its pay per view.

16. Hex

Yeah it's cos you're on my MSN list, same account so it saw you were on XBL too and added you. Just lately I've had about a billion updates so XBL keeps signing me out to update :rolleyes: Also, I'm still unemployed...
    Yep, not sure on the pricing yet, where's yodasarmpit he should know... Good thing for me is you don't need to be a Sky subscriber already. So no need for a pikeydish or sky box :D I read the minimum you can subscribe for is 1 month which doesn't seem too bad unless it's extortionate.
    Sadly it's not, it's a subscription. I think PPV would work really well though, not that I know how stuff streams on my connection yet because there are no decent films on the Zune marketplace that I don't already own!

Last edited: 24 Oct 2009
  17. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

I believe the dealio is like this: You get Sky for free if you are already a subscriber with a dish, and you need to be a gold member.

Don't know if you can get it for just the xbox though.

18. Hex

Yes you can. It was confirmed a while ago by Sky you do not need to be a current sky subscriber, have a dish or a box. You can subscribe purely for use on the 360.

19. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

I have signed up but not heard anything yet.

Would love to preview this.