1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dragon Age: Origins Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Nov 2009.

1. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

Now, to wait 2 months until I've fixed my comp and buy it on pc then, oooor buy it for 360 now?
    I feel I get what Cardjoe meant although, it could've been clearer if the game is awesome or not :)

2. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

QFT, and that's why I always come to this site first when it comes to game reviews. I know that, for the most part, Joe thinks along the same lines as I do when it comes to games. :thumb:

More on topic though, this games looks good but as some have said already, I think I may pick this up later when the prices drop a bit.

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Definitely wait until your PC is fixed. If you check websites like GameSpot, while overall their review is (imo) complete hyperbole, they do a good job comparing the various versions. They claim the 360 is noticeably the worst when compared to medium end PC and PS3.

Also you're pretty much buying a different game if you take into account the user created mods/content, control scheme, lack of 'isometric' view on consoles and the difference in RRP.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

That's just what the textures look like, I think. The game has some rather shoddy texture work, but it's kept in very specific places.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

This is kind of what I was expecting, a good game, but not something that really lives up to the BioWare name.

6. Legendmir

Legendmir What's a Dremel?

thankyou card joe for saying what you think and braving the risk of upset fans

on a personal note i for one get more and more dissapointed with every bioware game i play.. actually thats not true i think theyre all equally rubbish

i love fantasy settings and the rpg genre as a whole.. i just wish i could be brought on board and allowed to rant / rave / change all the various elements of these games which are a let down..

favourite rpg = vagrant story

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Been playing it since I got home, enjoying it immensely.

Bit annoyed with the problems caused with buying the Digital Deluxe Edition and EA's site though.. meh

8. osc8r

osc8r What's a Dremel?

Baldur’s Gate successor without co-op? Umm, how about NO.
    Pass.

9. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hm, interesting review.
    I've been looking forward to this game for a good while now, and I will get it today. However, I'm unsure of one thing; should I get it for the PS3 or the PC? Which platform suits the game the best?

10. CardJoe

PC
    You buffoon!

11. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

out of interest how are the guys above playing this already?

12. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Utterly ridiculous.

Why bother ever including a graphics / hardware requirements test in any of your reviews then? Because this information is always on the back of the box and relevent to the end userr, right?

Im sure we all use the recomended system specs for GTA4 / Crysis et al.

13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Obvious answer was, after all, obvious.

The reason I asked was that if it did suit the PS3, then maybe the missus could get her pregnant hands on it as well. She's not really comfortable gaming in front of the PC anymore, and as such the PS3 is better. But I guess she'll have to make do with Assassins Creed. :D

14. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

I was at first taken a back by this review. However after reading it through again and thinking about it... it is pretty dead on. This isnt some crazy revolutionary piece of code awesomeness but so far Id say a solid piece of work. I played for several hours yesterday, definatley different from ME. But in all honesty how revolutionary is a hero/avatar story line.

Some dude kills your family --- you get lost in someone elses conflict --- meet some weird and interesting people --- vengence and glory for everyone. Pretty standard all around and usually satisfying enough. I dont have a great deal of time to sit around and play computer games so for 45 minutes to a little over an hour a sitting; it seems like it should be satisfying and engaging enough especially if I dont have to think to hard about it.

The conversations seem solid, voice acting impressive, graphics not mind blowing (consolificaiton for sure) however still looks good on medium settings on my HD 4200 iGPU. Better than anything Ive seen on a 360.

Reasons to buy this game: If you like fantasy RPG's then buy it, play it and enjoy it. Realize it is a successor to the Forgotten Realms games with out being a Forgotten Realms game. It is what it is, more indepth than Mass Effect Id say and the side quests at least have some purpose for now, but it doesnt do anything revolutionary. Game play is smooth and I dont think the controls are that bad. You know what youre going to get and thats appealing to me.

Reasons to pass: This isnt your favourite genre and you unreastically expect it to be a glorious piece of code that will change gaming as we know it.

Also on a final note in this rant, sorry about the book by the way, this is probably the last game that we will get that isnt totally and completely tainted by EA. I dont think they got their hands on this one.... mostly... aside from the console porting. I have a feeling they will eventually be the end of BioWare as we knew them. Cheers.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

too many rpg games out at the same time.. gonna be awhile till I get around to playing

16. captfsh

captfsh What's a Dremel?

I think Joe is a bit jaded on RPG games. He slams the game as boring and old-hash but then proclaims that game excels. Also, Joe complains about the game being long and drawn out before the story\game gets to the meat. Hello? That is the whole point of the game that we have been hearing for a year now. Thus, the name "origins". It was designed to give a long introduction to your character.

17. CardJoe

Not really. The Origins story bits themselves are actually fairly short. One hour is a conservative time for a first run and takes into account learning the controls. It's the bits after that are a pain where you're being pushed through a bunch of boring info and setting.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The camera is really pissing me off...

19. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Sounds like the preview I read of Diablo 3. I think I'll try Torchlight instead

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Must say it's everything i was hoping it'd be so far, i've been entranced by it for many hours today :)

only have had two niggles with it:

release date: have had it pre-ordered on steam for ages, but discovering that USA had it unlocked since Tuesday, the majority of the EU had it unlocked Wednesday but the UK has to wait until Friday for no apparent reason was a huge slap in the face.

The only reason i got to play it today was i torrented it so i could play that until the time my steam copy unlocks.
    Still, i hear the save will carry across and then i can apply the pre-order items after that, but i shouldn't have to end up pirating it when i've pre-ordered it to avoid having to wait longer than the rest of the planet to play the game... :confused:

As was mentioned in the review, some textures (seemingly at random) are decidedly low res even with all graphics maxed... Though i hope a future mod will fix this like the texture mods for fallout3 did :)

Tags: Add Tags