1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2. What was all the hype about ??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Enemyvirus, 12 Nov 2009.

1. Enemyvirus

Enemyvirus CPC Refugee

I bought the game last night. I enjoyed the previous incarnation so thought I'd give it a go.

To be honest, not really that impressed.

For a start I finished the game in one sitting, about 4 hours on normal. I know there is MP and co-op, but still. There were some good levels but others had the feel of being very compact and short and others were just a jumbled mess. Loads of weapons, but not really needed. Graphically very good, the sound(score) was excellent.

But thats it, no fireworks or OMG moments.

It was just a sequel to a pretty good game. I would honestly say the first one was better.

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

<rant>
    Not just me then. Tbh, the game is just ANOTHER FPS.
    It does nothing new though it manages to tell stories pretty well, but that's it imo. (This is my view as well as several friends)

It's not the second coming of Jesus, just like the Halo series wasn't either.
    Over-rated mediocrity.
    </rant>

3. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

Blasphemy!

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Is it me, or has every recent game, that was supposedly the next big thing, been an anti-climax.

I mean,

Far Cry 2 - trailers and pre release stuff made it look like it was going to be one of the greatest games ever. But somehow it was ruined, by a number of things such as far too many gaurd posts etc, and unbalanced AI. Graphics were pretty cool, and some of the effects (fire/sun) were good, but overall it wasn't as good as expected.

Operation Flashpoint 2 - looked awesome in the trailers. Wasn't that bad, but it didn't seem to be quite as good as it looked in the trailers. And the multiplayer seemed very very unpopulated, so I couldn't really try it out. It was very challenging on expert difficulty though.

Gears of War (PC) - this might not be quite the same thing, more of just a bad port. But still, it was supposedly a very good game on xbox, and was a successful game, but the PC version sucked, mainly due to the original incarnation of GfWL, and a major bug that stopped almost everyone from playing the game untill the first patch, then I still couldn't play it still the second patch.

COD5 - only played the demo, but it was just COD4 in a different location. Although I don't think the hype for this was that massive.

GTA IV (PC) - this seemed to be one of not many games that did live up to the hype IMO. I've played GTAIV alot more than Far Cry 2, and came back to GTA IV quite a lot, as opposed to all the other games, which were pretty much, play, complete, sit on the shelf.

Its almost as if the games area has stalled. The same thing is being done over and over, and when something that could be revolutionary comes along, it never seems to be what it should. I know this is probably more down to publishers wanting the games out quickly than the developer. At least if I was a developer, I'd rather get it right the first time, and spend a bit more time if it meant making a revolutionary game.

Hopefully, the next generation of games developers (me included) will make a fresh start on the industry and really improve it. At least I'd like to think that I could.

*Whoah, huge post, not had one of these for a while, :D *

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I agree. I have no clue why this game is popular. It felt average at best.

I also agree that MW1 was a much better game.

6. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

Yeah agree with that totally. GTA4 was the only game in the last while that truly delivered on what it advertised and promised. Far Cry 2, while I basically enjoyed the first run through, was a major dissappointment otherwise. The map editor alone was touted as the end of all map editors, and it turned out to be a total dud.

7. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

Do NOT tempt me. ;) :D

MW2 is beginning to get on my nerves a little bit.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just thinking about it a bit more, I suppose part of the reason why theres quite a few disappointments in games is because they've advanced so much recently, our expectations are now very high, and to get to that next WOW factor is getting harder and harder and more technological.

I mean, Crysis was a huge step forwards in graphics detail, and I don't think there's going to be a game that'll match it for quite a while, which is a shame really, as graphics defiantly add to the realism and immersion of games.

damn, I wish I could write this quality of stuff when I'm trying to write my CV and personal statements etc, can never think of anything interesting to write about, :D

9. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

That's my feeling too. I think when it comes to the "wow" that we were used to with every new game it pretty much reached a sort of plateau with Crysis. Maybe it's a good thing that the wow factor of new graphics are wearing off, perhaps customers will start demanding better gameplay instead of just eye candy.

10. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

It's the online game play that makes the game.

TBH I very rarely play the single player games, of the games I have.

I think the only have I've bought to play single player was Crysis.

Everything else was purly for online play.

11. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

To quote what I said in the review thread:

Its a good FPS but thats it, the hype has really overblown it and I just cant help but feel inifinity award are sitting counting the millions roll in thinking they have created the best thing since slice bread....when infact they havnt.

Its fun online but I can see that getting really boring really fast.

Thank god i have just ordered the uncharted games for my ps3 to tie me down when that happens..

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

:D Good luck with that and if it all goes Pete tong i hear Macdonalds are recruiting.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

The hype was for the extremely fun, addicting and polished multiplayer. Well obviously whether or not anyone finds it fun is totally subjective, but I sure as hell do.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

having just finished it i'll admit there wasnt much that hadnt been done in mw1, still it was good and i did enjoy myself suprisingly more then i thought i would.

total pr overhype, did'nt help with the guilable console tard eagerliy licking the balls of activision execs either :/

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Mass Effect was terribly over-hyped. Great game though. Samething with Bioshock.

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'd rather just not work at all than work in there.

Anyway, there i supposedly a lack of good programmers, so I should be fine, and hopefully when I come out of uni the financial crisis will have died down some more.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I got my copy from a competition, so tried to go in with a level head. I ended up booting the MP side full exceptionally low expectations. So I was pleasantly surprised with the result. The faults are glaringly obvious, but it's still fun.

The SP is exactly what I expected. Linear and polished with a crap storyline. It was still enjoyable though.

I think I feel better though about it knowing that I didn't pay for it :D

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I finished the SP last night and i really enjoyed it although for my tastes it was a bit too chaotic at times. The story was ok but IW really know how to make an exciting thrilling game and i was actually more numbed/moved by the scene
    where you are set on fire while still alive
    then the airport massacre.

Yes the game has been over hyped but then COD 4 was the first truly great and universally successful online console game imo. I'm sure all of us remember how much we loved the first online multiplayer we really got into and how much we played it. COD4 was this for millions of people at the same time. I know most of my friends who are not PC gamers had never played an online FPS before and they are all obsessed by COD.

19. Enemyvirus

Enemyvirus CPC Refugee

I played the MP and co-op last night.

MP was ok I suppose, some decent maps. Every game I played I hosted by the looks of it. I could proberbly get to enjoy it. The co-op I did single player and again looked pretty decent.

I thought the same, the stealth missions were to easy and alot of the rest a bit chaotic. The US missions felt very similar to DoD4 Russian missions.

As a whole its not a bad game pretty good in fact.

BUT

If you believed the hype it was the game of the decade.

SORRY IMO IT WASN'T

20. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think that a lot of the hype for MW2 is not so much about MW2, it's about the fact that there has been no other hype of this size for ages on the X360. I mean apart from announcing a few months back that they are hoping to cook up some sort of piece of crap new gimmicky control system what has the X360, or the PS3 for that matter, really had to crow about? I mean there was a brand new Halo game, two of them in fact including the RTS, and it barely raised a peep. There hasn't been an OMG MUST HAVE THIS game for the Xbox since GTA4. When a games console goes that long without a red-letter launch day of course when a really big franchise spawns a sequel it's going to be bigger than a Jesus versus zombie Hitler chainsaw deathmatch.

There is also something of a disparity between what the veteran gamer population likes and what ordinary mainstreamers like. Games are now mainstream and like anything mainstream a lot of the stuff that is wildly popular will absolutely baffle a discerning audience. Whether we like to admit it or not cultured gamers who know quality when they see it are a minority.

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
Tags: