1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony launches PS3 Video Delivery Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. markwalker84

markwalker84 What's a Dremel?

Sounds good... but a bit unfair that only new accounts get the free download... Might have to register a new account me thinks!

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

hmm, have they fixed the fact that 2 days ago every time I tried to open the Playstation Store it said "not available in your region" (I'm in UK) Not had a chance to turn the console on since to update and see if it fixes this...

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Anyone else noticed that this is no longer marketted as a console? It's marketted as a home entertainment system, is this the future of consoles? Games are secondary and entertainment is priority? If so it's a sad world we live in :(

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

w00t! I have been waiting for this for ages. There are no rental places near me and there are not enough releases that interest me to justify a love film account.

6. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

It's the main reason I bought my PS3 in the first place - BD player and music/video streaming off the network. Gaming was secondary, but something I've found myself doing more and more recently given how most PC games are ports anyway.

This is good news - might be able to junk my Lovefilm account if the selection is good and the rental option allows me a reasonable period to watch something I download.

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I bought my PS3 as universal player/media centre with the bonus ability to play games. I think this is good news although those kind of prices are not competitive with the likes of lovefilm etc.

8. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

If you're only using your PS3 for gaming, you're missing out. We use it primarily for media, but being able to recommend 1 box which is easier to use than *any* off the shelf blue ray player, which also allows your grandparents to see nieces and nephews down under... it's just fantastic.

The controls are simplistic in the extreme, they pick up how to use it way faster than they learned setting the clock on the cooker. The video chat works extremely well, the eye toy has a fantastic microphone.

Plus you can finally show them the intarwebs on a semi respectable web browser, certainly good enough to hit bbc.co.uk/news when its too wet out to walk round to the corner shop...

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

But can it play soft subbed anime with dual audio in the form of an mkv container? If no then that's the exact reason I would choose to build a HTPC than buy a media player, having to transcode video just to burn subtitles pisses me off to the extreme >.>

10. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

OMG, those prices are even pretty reasonable!! Certainly on par or less than Virgin Media on demand!

Will be interesting to see it in action and if there are any quality/buffering issues.

11. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Good news, although the pricing is boringly similar to the iTunes/Xbox 360 alternatives that are in the UK (and the xbox pricing is actually better TBH if you are sneaky and get their Xbox points at less than RRP)

Wish someone would break the mold in the UK and come out with a monthly subscription system like Netflix in the US, I know Lovefilm are testing this but I believe that its still windows only and requires a browser so not ideal for a HTPC/living room set up yet

12. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

"New PlayStation 3 owners who register for a PSN account between now and the end of the month will also be able to get a free download of Transformers 2 - yay!"

I'm really hoping that the "yay!" at the end there was sarcasm. Because that movie was the second biggest *******ization of an iconic cartoon series behind GI.JOE. :miffed:

Odd, I didn't think that a word that stood for "fatherless child" would be considered offensive enough to be banned but eh, I figure you guys can deduce the message I was trying to convey.

Tags: Add Tags