1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News America's Army cost US taxpayers $33 million

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2009.

1. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I think it was 33 million well spent. Its a new approach and from the eyes of a CEO it worked, they met there recruitment goals for *I believe* for like 7 of the 9 years at like 105%. However so did most of the other branches, I'm hoping they use lessons learned from the game for there virtual training.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas What's a Dremel?

12 billion dollars is being used in Iraq monthly. 5,000 dollars is being spent every second on the war in Iraq by the US - anyone really think that 33 mil$ for a free game is relevant at all to anything other than recruiting? its not just some toy they are handing out - its actually millions cheaper than printing and kiosks every year and they are directly targeting young people who are actually interested.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

paving the way to brain wash the youth to join the Army for the wrong reasons ~_~

4. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I'm just more surprised that for $33mil they came up with a really shite game (seriously seriously buggy, as in, every time i clicked on a server it crashed)

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

6. dec

dec [blank space]

yeaaa 33 huge ones huh

is that where there the bailout money went?
    is this what happened to the money meant for "green" energy?
    are these the "weapons of mass destruction" that were found?

theres more to that list. how much has it cost for WoW to be running so far?

7. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

33 million is actually quite surprising for a government program. I think this is actually showing lots of constraint on the devs part as they easily could have got 300 million for it and nobody in congress would have batted an eye over that amount. The amount of money governments throw out on anything is just baffling to those of us working 9 to 5 for our daily mt dew rations.........

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

And its not really a good game, I mean it sucks.

9. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

AA < 2 and 2.3 - 2.5 was quite good. After that, not so much.

10. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Now hold on a second, this is not $33 million for one game!!!

That $33 million total is for ALL of the Americas Army games (AA, AA2.x and AA3 on PC and also the 2 playstation / xbox titles)!!!! I honestly thought better of the team at Bit-Tech than to get all sensationalist... $6.6 mil per game is actually very reasonable for what they have put out.

AA2 was a pretty good game, not to mention this story; http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/01/americas-army-t/

Ok AA3 was buggy as hell when released, but ffs people it's free, quit bitching about it!!!!

11. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Cool, nice to know. :) I guess the technology and design has been continually upgraded and tweaked since the first price, so it makes sense.

12. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

First of all $33 millions US dollars is not staggering by any means. Especially when your talking about the U.S. Department of Defense budget. We have bombs and missiles that cost more than that!

Americas Army has been a great tool for the U.S. Army as far as recruiting and giving new recruits an idea of what to expect when they sign there name and raise their right hand high and take that oath to defend the U.S.A.

Also it's a great game played by millions world wide w/ dedicated servers, Admins, Clans that you can all play together with and a lean feature (unlike some other crappy game).

The $33 million was easily recouped by the console versions of the game and reused for
    Americas Army 3 development. It's free to download and play so check out what my tax dollars have bought and paid for. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

One B-2 Stealth Bomber cost $1.2 Billion dollars. If your ever lucky enough to see one fly you'll realize it was $1.2 billion very well spent.

Unless your an enemy of the U.S. then the amount of precision ordinance that's about to be dropped w/ pinpoint accuracy on your head is of course STAGGERING!

13. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

less than 4m? that's a bargain. farking pocket change.

14. Nature

Nature Minimodder

This is utterly foolish. I hope other Americans send this article to their statesmen and women.

Tags: Add Tags