1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs RE: Choose Your Own Adventure Gamebooks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 23 Dec 2009.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I vaguely emember a friend having a some books along those lines. No idea if it was anything you mentioned however.

The most experience I had with anything to do with CYOA was probably a Goosebumps book that was written in much the same way. No stats or anything like that, just a simple story, but getting to choose what happened was excellent. I remember one ending in particular, which had you stuck on a slide or rollercoaster (or something like that) for ever. What an ending!

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i had tons of these from sonic the hedgehog to a sherlock holmes one

they were awesome

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yay! I had the Sonic ones. And the Lemmings ones. And the Mario ones. And the Virtual Reality ones. And the Lone Wolf ones. And the Fighting Fantasy ones. And..

You get the idea. But, the Sonic ones were really good.

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

What he said.

I thought Jackson and Livingstone were doing a new series of them? Sure I remember hearing about it...

6. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Heh I played loads of those. I just bought the Munchkins card game by Steve Jackson, looks like it'll be fun.

7. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Heh, I might give this a go, sounds fun!

8. CardJoe

I very much recommend the Fabled Lands App foe Linux-based netbooks. It makes a great train-time killer if you bung it on an EEE PC.

9. TheTinMan

TheTinMan What's a Dremel?

Great article Joe. I'm a passionate gamebook fan and have recently started a team of similar minded folks bringing out a new series called "Gamebook Adventures" which we're initially releasing on the iPhone. Check out our blog at www.tinmangames.com.au for more info. We've just released a teaser video of the gamebooks in action.

The genre is far from dead!

10. CardJoe

I'm actually following your games already - both look impressive.

Apparently, Megara is bringing the Fabled Lands to the iPhone too - but I've only heard that on other forums and haven't been able to confirm it yet.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I followed the Lone Wolf and Grey Star the Wizard series of books for quite a while.

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I used to have an Asterix adventure book like that. Though it was very hard to get to the end without running out of magic potion.

13. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

I think the only time I experienced what you describe her was in a Donald-pocketbook. I think it involved a castle and something like that. There were about 5 different "jumps" in the story if my memory serves me right.. It kinda worked.. Nice blog-post Joe! I think I'll take a look.. ..if I can find the time..

14. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I'm sure I had one that said "If you have already found the Magical Sneakers of Kaldorn, turn to page XX..." and when you got there, it said "That's funny, because there's no such thing as the Magical Sneakers of Kaldorn in this book. You suck. I bet you cheat with your finger in the page. You've probably flicked to the end already, haven't you? Minus a million out of ten!"

15. TheTinMan

Thanks Joe! I'll keep you guys informed of when it gets accepted by Apple.

16. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Anyone interested in the Lone Wolf gamebook series may want to check out the Mongoose re-releases (in hardback with an extra mini-adventure at the end of each book) - see their forums for more info. Past books have had publishing errors like missing sections so prospective purchasers may want to avoid buying in advance.

They do intend to finish the series (which originally reached book 28 out of 32) though at the current rate of progress that may be a few years away.

I'm surprised to see Fabled Lands mentioned in the same article as Choose Your Own Adventure though - it's like showing off a Rolls Royce after asking people if they remember the Sinclair C5. :D

17. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I had those books - deathtrap dungeon, a couple set in space (can't remember names). I couldn't be bothered rolling dice, though.

18. TheTinMan

Sorry I'm a bit late with this info but our first iPhone Gamebook Adventures title called An Assassin in Orlandes was released two weeks ago. More info can be found here: http://www.tinmangames.com.au/?page_id=210

We'd love some feedback if you get a chance to play it!

Tags: Add Tags