1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Aliens vs Predator Demo on Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DarkLord7854, 4 Feb 2010.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Just played my first game as Alien. For some reason, I'm not getting ANY sound from the game. It is quite fun thought. I decapitated a marine, ripped someones face off, and rammed my tail through another marine until he vomited blood.

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Just says Searching for games...........

0/10 from me.

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Started downloading at 200-250kb/s, got to 40% then stopped with the "download starting" message, paused and resumed download, started back at 0% and hasn't gone above 60kb/s since. Deep resent.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Try changing to a non-UK server for your Steam location setting - some will be less heavily loaded than others. :)

I've had a couple of games now, both as marine, and it's good apart from the need to decrease the Predator melee distance - his claw things work from about 20ft away.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

played 2 games as alien and one as predator.

i enjoyed playing it, but like others have said, i dont like the quake style deathmatch.... but was fun none-the-less, but cant seem to get a game now after waiting 15 minits....

still not sure if to get it or not from play.com for £18... hmmm

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

just sits there looking for games

worst demo ever

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1, can't find anything.

I'll just wait for the full game to be delivered.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

played a few more rounds just now (location: Canada - if that makes any difference), and its somewhat fair to say, they're pretty balanced.....

1. predator: cloak + land mine + heatseekinglaserthingamagic = win. find some gadget. find some place to hide. boom.
    2. marines: redefining the term "pour lead unto you" by quite a margin. back against the wall. steady aim. spray.
    3. xenos: unbelievable agility (once u get used to it). lack abit of punch, but run/jump/scale/spring/sprint/evade around until u can grab someone from the back and finish off. easy-mode.

but yeah, the lag and waiting for game and audio (whats with the cracklin and crappy quality?) is abit of letdown, hopefully remedied with the full version.

ps: if full version comes with dedicated, and demo comes with hosted instant sessions.... would that means u have the options for both? sweet.

9. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Managed to some how glitch the lobby system so that we could get our own "create a game" based server with two mates and we've just been doing 1 Pred vs 2 Marines or alien's, or alien vs 2 marines etc. Wow, all I can say is when you get into it, so so so fun!

It will be much better with the dedicated servers and the race modes. As I dont like the idea of marines vs marines or alien vs alien (well, xenomorph). But looks like it will be a really good turn out.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Please describe this glitching of the lobby system.

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Worked fine for me, but i'm not impressed after a quick go.

It feels wooden and even with everything on full @ 1920x1080 it didn't look great.

I'll give it another try tomorrow.

12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

It's soo slow, it takes forever to get anywhere.

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Dowloaded it, had a quick game and enjoyed it. Matchmaking worked straight away and didn't seem to have any lag.

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I know its based on pre-release code and all but I too was not all that impressed. The faster pace of what AvP is has disappeared in what appears to be favour towards the way controllers work..
    Additionally silly things like getting shot (at least as a pred) makes you stop momentarily as well as jumping. Very irritating game and I hope for a proper demo in the near future. Maybe then it won't feel so clunky.

15. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Y'know what would be awesome about this game? If it ****ing worked! Damn steam install! Why isnt anything as easy as instaliing it and running it?!

16. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Am I missing out on something here? I can't find the demo on Steam anywhere, even in the demo section.

EDIT: I had to Google the Steam website to find it. Reason I never saw it on my Steam account was this ...

"Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Here's a link to the home page."

To be honest if that's the attitude they're adopting then I'm sorry after reading the shitty experiences people have already had of the game here I'm not bothering. This is very lazy. Exactly the same treatment I got when trying to download the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 demo only releasing it was for NA only. Pfft...

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Steam's doing you a service by sparring you from the sh*tty demo :)

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Alien sprint +1

19. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Rebellion published a announcement on their website :
    It does work this way.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I downloaded this yesterday and just had a quick blast as a Marine.

Connected to a game no problem at all.

Graphics were ok I guess, running everything on max at 1920x1200 and smooth as silk. Didn't exactly get a chance to admire anything as I was concentrating on not dying.

Obviously, players need to get into the swing of the game again and get used to the not-so-straight-forward mechanics of the alien and predator. As a Marine, I managed to get 26 kills, 13 ahead of 2nd place. I haven't played an AvP game in about 6 or 7 years.

I didn't really notice any lag, so the actual playing went smoothly enough, but the deathmatch style does not suit it. Race deatmatch would be better.

For the marine, the weapons other than the Pulse Rifle, are just naff. The Sniper rifle, 3 shots to the head of a predator, still lived (ok, I was being impaled through the back with an aliens tail at the time), the shotgun JUST managed to kill someone at almost point blank range and chasing 2 marines with the shortest-ranged flamethrower ever created...

I'll have to try Predator and Alien at some stage today anyway.

First impressions, lacklustre.

Also, the sprinting is ok and as far as I am aware, the lunge for the alien is the interact key, or so I have been told. It has an auto-focus mode, so there is little to no aiming.

Definately have to investigate further.