1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Level 10 Thermaltake Case powdercoating sketch

Discussion in 'Modding' started by arashd, 8 Feb 2010.

1. arashd

arashd What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I have had a passion of custom painting/anodizing/powder coating pc chassis and video consoles for years. I bought a Level 10 about 1 month ago and have spent this time stripping that beast of a case down to just the aluminum bits. BMW engineers spent years putting it together all so I could rip it to shreds!

Now that I have accomplished that, my plan is to powder coat the entire case to a more attractive color scheme. I was thinking something along the lines of the prototype that was glossy and far more attractive than the matte black that the production model is. I made a veeeery crude photoshop mockup of what I am currently thinking just to get some feedback on the color scheme. The red lights on the case or something that would be a huge chore to change, so I am going to have to stick with red as the major component of the scheme, but the rest is fair game.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Your concept is definitely much better looking than the original. Are you planning other changes for the case other than paint?

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

You must have giant balls to rip apart a $850 case

4. arashd

arashd What's a Dremel?

My intention right now is to do one with just modding the color. This way I can be sure I feel comfortable with the putting the case back together and confirming that whatever I do does not impact the function of the case otherwise its just $900 in the trash. If I pull this off, I intend to get out the blowtorch and really take this case for the next level, but color is the first step for me :)

5. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Well, good luck man! I'd love to see one of these modded!

6. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I think you should make the red more dark, like red wine dark.

7. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

^ Agreed.

And welcome to bit tech!

8. arashd

arashd What's a Dremel?

I agree. Please forgive the mockup, my photoshop skills are poor. The color I intend to you use a very vibrant and rich red that just looks great with a very rich gloss. It will be a basecoat of a dark red, with a candy layer on top.

I have ordered the large infrared lamp I need to bake the pieces as there is not a oven that exists that will fit the two large side panels so I need to bake it with a exterior lamp. I hope to have the project done in 30 days, but I am a surgical resident so my free time these days is short!

I look forward to more excellent suggestions

9. pcnerd

pcnerd Banned

No i think he must have SUPER ENORMOUS BALLS :eeek: actually :D

10. arashd

arashd What's a Dremel?

powders have been ordered and my 2000W infrared curing lamp has been delivered! speak now or forever hold your peace on any comments or suggestions to the above mockup. I cant wait to finally get some color on this bad boy

11. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Can't wait to see one of these babies modded :thumb:

Can you please remove the Thermaltake logos somehow, the 'red' anodising will cover 1.

Definatelty watching this one :D

12. RedRaider

RedRaider The RealRedRaider

Anxious to see how this turns out

13. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I've read that the case leans slightly with everything installed. A little functional mod might be to add a plate to the base for more rigidity.

...but yeah, I want to see how this turns out.

14. wolfmanrocker

wolfmanrocker What's a Dremel?

I like your thinking, the case needs a little something else (colour)
    using Cold Cathode tubes instead of thhe Red accented LED's (which arent so effective) instead would make a HUGE difference to thhe case, also changing the LED's on the HDD's

Getting arid of all the markings/writing ThermalTake have vandalised the case with and you have something like the following?

[​IMG]

could you contact me please, i'm really interested in what your going to do and would like a back and forth on what you have planned (modding my case would be fantastic)

Consider the above a mockup, i was messing around with photoshop, given the range of things you can do, i'm tempted to move towards a more artistic outlook on the case, consider it a canvas etcetc

"I've read that the case leans slightly with everything installed. A little functional mod might be to add a plate to the base for more rigidity."
    This case is masssive, and heavy as is, maybe swapping out unnecessarily heavy bits for more durable and lighter parts would be a solution (Also getting arid of the horrible plastic bits - like the handle- for something that feels nicer)

Last edited: 26 Apr 2010
  15. wolfmanrocker

wolfmanrocker What's a Dremel?

Heya, could you contact me please, im really interested in modding my own case
    Photoshop mock up (rather bland) below, i'm actually hoping to do a kind of, jurassic park, tear.. maybe on the motherboard compartment (Three Tears) some kind of mesh to stop dust entering the system but to also improve cooling (on the odd chance I really need it)
    Mock Up

I'll work some more with Photoshop on the otherside of the case, bbut it'll take a while to find time for it, What i really need to know is painting techniques, a way to "shine" the case and also ways to work around the case to fit Cold Cathode tubes (instead of the LED strips)

Edit: Sorry for the double post, after i posted this message, i saw my first message had been sent, just took time to show

Last edited: 26 Apr 2010
  16. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Actually had a good idea on this case, involved taking the stock one and painting all the black areas BMW alpinia white, then around the DVD drive bays and only on the slide out parts of the HDD section covering with real dark red leather..