1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclocking Intel's Core i7 920

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Nov 2008.

1. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Was 903 what the article was done on?, that may be why i differ im on version 0703.

Would a different version be the cause of why its unstable???? silly question but im not the best at this, if so would it be worth going to 903 or the latest what which one would be recommended?

Cheers Trent

**edit**
    article used version 0804 bios version :)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2009
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Enable APCI 2.0 support.

Up the CPU differential amplitude to 900, Disable C-State tech, lower the QPI frequency as much as possible and set the UClk to ~2660 if possible.

Updating the BIOS usually makes a difference - check the changelog on the Asus website.

3. Trenthan

ok lets see how i go repost soon lolz

ty for the speed i must add

Cheers Trent

4. Trenthan

ekkkkk :S

No go, didnt get past the windows vista loading screen, always a blue screen tried it a few times too

Loading up bios pics soon just first going to compare that i did have the same previous settings and changed what asked

btw the lowest UCLK was 3208Mhz (double ram speed the description said)
    and lowest QPi was 7208Mhz

Cheers Trent

***edit bios version 703 images*** (After alteration)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im running 703 bios now the new versions

P6T Deluxe 0804 Bios
    1. Improvie Memory compatibility

2. Revised QPI/DRAM Core Voltage setting in CPU Level Up

3. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us"

P6T Deluxe 1003 Bios
    1. Fix Incorrect selectable range of "QPI/DRAM Core Volt" in TurboV
    2. Fix Express Gate would disappear if ever shutdown abnormally in ExpressGate
    3. Improve compatibility with some USB Keyboard
    4. Improve Memory compatibility

i doubt its any of those form what ive been reading...? could they be?

Last edited: 23 Jan 2009
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It doesn't look like your CPU can't do it then - I suspect your UClk can't do 3.2GHz :(

You can try and play with the clock skews, but it's an entirely blind art, or check other forums (xtremesystems?) for overclocking tips and other people's experiences.

6. Trenthan

dang, ummm

ill have a peak around some other forums silly question really if i stick with the last lot of suggestions (last post)

would lowered the base clock make the system stable??
    or would lowering the ram speed to 1333?? thus it should run at 2606???? help in any way???

:S

Cheers Trent

btw im open for ideas ill try anything as long as its not totally stupid like Vcore 3.4V lol

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8. Trenthan

Thanks for the links

ive been reading quite abit and its been interesting. You are right some cant acheive a 4gHz clock without overvolting the cpu Vcore ~ 1.37-1.42 on average. From reading ive found that OC with a CPU ratio setting of **20**. Apparently its a pain in the bum to make systems stable at 4gHz with a lower Vcore.

Some are lucky and depending on the batch can acheive a stable 4gHz clock with low Vcore's (1.25!!!). Due to the manufacturing process there is a suprissing varience in Vcore drop... (i think that was what it is, ill double check and post a link)

Alot of people are recommending a CPU ratio of **19** and up the BCLK frequency ~210

Also people are saying some 920's say are stable at 1.30Vcore 4Ghz but up the Vcore to 1.35(like in my case) and it becomes unstable

So time to have abit of a play

1 question though which i cant seem to find a post for is

when overclocking we up the BCLK
    now at a point its becomes unstable and we must up the Vcore to compensate for the BCLK

Now when do we up the CPU PLL voltage???????

I understand the memory side alright same basic idea, but CPU PLL voltage im unsure if any1 can answer this thanks heeps, or even better explain what it is as well

Cheers Trent

Last edited: 24 Jan 2009
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Increase PLL voltage in relation to CPU voltage. I usually stick it at 1.94-98 when overclocking.

10. bobethmca

bobethmca programmer

Is there a difference in idle or Prime95 wall-power between an i7-965 and an i7-920 that has been overclocked up to the 3.2ghz rate of the i7-965, and are there any real advantages for the i7-965 in any of the benchmarks reported, for this level of overclocking? I am not sure I want to spend an extra 165 watts 24/7 for years to come, just to be able to claim 4ghz.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The 965 is unlocked so you can vary the multiplier for the CPU and memory, without adjusting the base clock value.

The 920 will easily overclock to 3.2GHz but some will need some extra voltage.

12. bobethmca

bobethmca programmer

Sorry, I was not clear in my posting. My intent was to request that the author actually measure the power consumption of a 920 overclocked to 3.2 ghz vs a native 965, and run the benchmarks again for just that 920 and a native 965. Is there any reason to buy a 965 ? The capital outlay ratio is 3.5 to one. If I have more than one node running at 165 watts extra, that is 118 kwh each per month. If oclock to 3.2 is significantly less expensive than oclock to 4.0, that would be much better.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The only real reason to buy a 965 is that it's unlocked: it's for extreme OC-ers. The $700 saving for a 920 will see your electricity bill for a while, even if it consumes more power.

I'm afraid I don't have time to reinstall the system and run those benchmarks again, sorry. :)

14. Trenthan

silly question but would a system that can run prime 95 for 4hours before a BSOD be pritty stable???

Ive got mine at 3.8gHz thanks to some help, and i ran prime 95 twice first time lasted 4 hours and 2nd time 4.5hours.

Would that be stable for nearly everything????

Cheers Trent

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Maybe, while prime loads the cpu more than most other applications and several hours prime stable is indeed 24/7 stable with normal apps, there is still the gpu, prime doesnt load it at all, so you have not actually tested the system at the max possible heat load as a gpu at full load dumps a considerable amount of head inside the case, even if it has a exhaust fan. Also you have not tested if the psu can keep it up.

To create a worst case scenario for stability testing I'd recommend running prime 95 and furmark at the same time.

16. Trenthan

Yes good point

I am going to but currently in melbourne for the next 4 days straight its 40C and higher!!!!, it was 36C today.

Because of this my computer is sitting 10C above normal and will run the lot together once it cools down. Im upstairs around the corner so no air con hits my room lol

Power supply wise i should be ok but shall double check

Its a 1000W corsair
    core i7 920 @ 3.8
    SLI gtx 280's @ stock

Should be approx 2/3-3/4 the power supply load with everything at 100% load
    Supid question what apps normally run both at 100% load, games?? or CAD software?? (They shouldnt)

Cheers Trent

(ill try the 1.29Vcore tomorrow morning or late tonight when the temps are abit lower)

17. Mad Pierre

Mad Pierre What's a Dremel?

I agree 3.2-3.3 more reasonable. I got 3.35 stable on my q6600 with an asrock (£80) sli board but it eventually died slowly, so ive just invested (well hit the credit card) for an 920/6gb of 1600mhz OCZ/and Gigabiyte ex58 extreme. The memory was only £95 which I thought good for the spec, so prices are falling.
    I'm just about to build it into my Thermaltake LCS so its going to be watercolled (hence the expensive board as it has built in water block for the NB).
    Will let you know the results when I get there, just waiting on the new cpu block fitting kit for the i7.
    Peter

18. xpdualcore

xpdualcore What's a Dremel?

well I've had 4.1GHz stable and and max speed (unstable) on air is 4.4GHz....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway What's a Dremel?

I have brought this set-up, 1600 drr3, p6td deluxe and 920 do.

Excellent, thank you for the continued advice!

I have over-clocked it, verified your findings and returned to stock values.

I'll keep the 4ghz oc profile to onside until I find a game that demands the use of it!

At the moment, nothing uses more than 30% of the power.

Yes video encoding etc is commensurately quicker, but its quick anyway.

A great "for free" oc upgrade for a years time I reckon!

good work bit-tech!

20. DreadGod

DreadGod What's a Dremel?

Hi all
    Could not beleive it when found this page, my pc is the same spec as the the one you tested the P6T Deluxe v2 same ram 1600 ddr3 . graphics ati 5850 .and the thing i neally changed after reading your cooler section ,the domino ALC.
    Im just extra carefulll now LOL.
    anyway thought id try it. worked straigt away 4ghz. running at 28 c idle,
    so played BFDC beta at full settings and 1920 x1080, res after an hour, cheaked temp 31c
    thats what the water cooler told me.
    Anyway so did game again then straight in to the bios to read temps mother board 30 c and cpu 39 c so anyway very pleased.
    thx lads.

Tags: Add Tags