1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 RAM usage issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Rat1sully, 18 Feb 2010.

1. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

i'm doing a degree in electrical engineering so i know far too much about how they work to an atomic level but i still seem to learn new things the more i delv

that's a good idea hadn't looked at a bios updat though i'm not sure that'll do anything for the memory as the controller in on the cpu, however won't hurt to give it a go

2. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

not sure what your pagefile is set to but might be worth trying
    1. set pagefile min/max to equal the total amount of RAM
    2. set pagefile to default of auto and keep it on your c:\

have you checked your ram timings? i'm sure i read about a settin you can disable in win7 which will stop it pre-fetching commonly used applications/access files....but i'm leaning towards a issue between M$'s code and chipset drivers on this as some ppl are affected whilst others aren't.

+1 to bios update + driver updates

3. Rat1sully

[​IMG]

thats what i've got my page file set to, don't see the harm in is as c and d are just partitions on the same drive so stuck it on e where there is plenty of space to avoid any performance hit (an old habit)

4. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

I am shocked at the system recomending a 6GB pagefile. The only slight problem that I can see with that is the thrashing that drive must have to do bacause of all the partitions. I'm probably going to get W7 so I'll let you know if I get the same problem but in the nean time you could check with M$ technet.com and see what they say.
    sorry we couldn't get this one sorted quickly for you.

5. Rat1sully

OK I've come to the conclusion that it only notably does this when downloading things with Flashget so going to look into that angle

6. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

The results from that program are all incorrect for Windows 7. I would try and explain it, but here it is from a reputable source:
    http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/behind-the-windows-7-memory-usage-scaremongering.ars
    Basically, it's trying to read the "Free" memory which would always show the proper number in XP, but in Windows 7 the number to look at is Physical Memory.
    [​IMG]
    That's a shot of my laptop right now, saying I only have 62MB "free" but my physical memory usage is only 45%. If I understand correctly, you're seeing something similar.

7. Jux_Zeil

Yes that's true, but his problem is he's actually feeling the PC stutter at times, which is why he even looked up his performance in taskmanager.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

your running w/o a page file? try setting a custom pagefile 4096-4096

9. Jux_Zeil

It's only showing no pagefile for his C partition. He has for some reason put it on three partitions in on that drive.

10. Rat1sully

to be fair i resource and task manager it gives me about .1 of a GB free so they line up for some reason

there are only 2 partitions on the main drive, the windows partition for easy formatting and re-installation and the first storage partition, there are 4 drive of various sizes in here some contain old windows partitions that i'm still pulling data from when i have free time

11. Rat1sully

[​IMG]

ok this shows my problem quite clearly, only happens when using my download manager for a long time so i guess that's my memory hole.

is there any way to flush the crap out so to speak?