1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

what a disappointment, could have at least hoped for a performance increase enough to justify the price:(

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

shame on release but will wait to see what happens with driver support .... anyone got a gtx 280 going cheap?

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

lol...

hey, here's a thought, you might want to read this review bit-tech did on the new gtx 480/470...only a hardcore fanboy with no sense would buy one of these over a 5870/5850.

oh, wait...

but to answer your question, depends on the unit make, but yes, it should power the card...

4. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

sigh....I'm going back to bed.

5. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

According to Anandtech it is an excellent folder but they are not otherwise overwhelmed

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Seems like another GeForce FX 5800 Ultra .....

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My own thoughts are that this vindicates ATi's strategy of building, small, scaleable and power efficient cores for graphics cards. Despite Fermi's release, who knows how long it will be before ATi actually have competition in the £115 - £230 price range?

8. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

This is way off topic, but WOW... you US people have all the cheapest hardware AND the cheapest heating and power... considering that an average 5870 card goes for ~550$ and the average kWh of power is about 0.20$, where i currently live.

Anyways, i'm one of those "i'm waiting for fermi" people, because i have a nice 4870 for gaming and a quadro for my GPU HPC needs... so there was no need to upgrade.

As for gaming, i think i may upgrade my gaming rig with a 5870 after seeing the shockingly BAD performance/watt of the GTX480 card.

BUT for my CFD and FEM needs, i think i'm gonna go with the next fermi quadro card that comes out, even though it will probably be hot as hell i still reckon i'll have big performance gain in all the work i do.

Given all the F@H comments i have to say, i don't really see why anyone would want to use a GTX480 for that... i mean if they get power for nothing i understand, but in any other case i find it completely pointless.

My conclusion for all this, for gamers and every-day users this is a FLOP... for the HPC community its so-so... performance is great, but i'll have to buy an additional AC unit to keep it cool 24/7

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Id like to see a re-review on release drivers when available, The thermal and temp readings are shocking but i cant help thinking that a driver tweak could produce more significant improvements.

I was hoping it would be more competatively priced against the 5870, at its current price i dont see it worrying ati. Maybe the price of the 5870 will drop anyway to try and grab more marketshare.

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the 5870 nudge down a bit towards £299.99. I can't see the 5770/5830/5850 being changed at all price wise as nVidia can't compete in that price range.

11. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

I'm not sure we were reading the same benchmarks then, the 5970 was top on all bar one game where the GTX295 held top position (probably driver issues or something) and as for the GTX 480 competing with the 5870, if I was making a card to compete with another card and it beat that care by 5-8 fps bust cost about £100 more I'd consider that a fail tbh

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree, nVidia will sort out their thermals no doubt, 105c max yet at 94c is not acceptable for normal users.
    and don't forget HBAO for BFBC2 :)

tessellation is the future and i think nVidia nailed its performance. ATI 58x0 users will be forced to upgrade when tessellation games come out whereas nVidia 470 users can sit there and laugh. just like how 8800GTX lasted so long, GTA4 was released and 8800GTX put performed all other cards bar GT200's.

13. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

I think you're being really optimistic... people ALWAYS say wait for the next driver revision... at best i think you can see a 5% gain in some games, and maybe up to 20% in some that were exceptionally bad.

As for the power and temp, do you honestly believe they can sort that out with a driver revision? I don't see how anyone can believe in that, specially considering the size of the core itself. Its huge, power hungry and hot... and that IS the way nVidia designed it to be since they prefer huge cores over smaller ones.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

/thread so fas as I'm concerned.

It's over £400, and it's not impressive... just go buy a 5970 for approximately the same money if you want the fastest and best card. Job Done.

15. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Hmmmmmmm, It runs hotter than my two 5850's, and consumes more power at both idle and under load than both put together. How will it perform against them? SLI and Crossfire benchmarks needed showing a 480 against two 5850's and a pair of 480's agasint a pair of 5870's?

16. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

with Nvidia releasing worse and worse drivers reducing my GTX 280's performance after each release im going with Ati 5870...

17. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

EPIC FAIL, if i waited 6 months for this i'd feel stupid and very angry at nvidia ...

18. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Why does everyone say quad-heatpipe when there's cleary five of them. :sigh:

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    NVIDIA Announces Extension of Its Stock Repurchase Program
    With HBAO, but a no "apples to apples" comparision:
    http://hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/4
    Yep. Over here in the Summer temperature gets to 30+ºC easily, these cards would exceed 100ºC or make a lot of noise.
    ... and it fails doing so. Not only it is more expensive, it also consumes more power.
    There is no point on going over 4xAA. The performance loss doesnt justify the image quality.
    Crysis, Very High, 2xAA, 16xAF:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_gtx_480_470_performance/page9.asp

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'm sad, hoped this card wold be awesome, it isn't. I won't be buying one :(

Tags: Add Tags