1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage OMG why does storage hate me?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyrilthefish, 31 Mar 2010.

1. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both drives are less than 7 months old, also the SSD (the third drive) itself died and got replaced a few months back.

This is starting to get a bit ridiculous, 3 drives and 3 failures :eeek:

The drive with the most bad sectors i cannot get replaced unfortunately (liberated from a USB HDD that i no-longer have the receipt for. The Samsung site lists lists the drive as being registered to another country so not warranty covered)

Seeing as the other Samsung drive is now also on it's way out (this one covered under warranty) is it worth kicking up a fuss/complaining to attempt to get both drives warranty replaced as a pair?

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I wouldn't worry if I were you ...

"power on hours" , that's awesome ! Sucks that my Raptors are in RAID because I would love to know how long my older one has been on ! I bet it's 50 000 hours minimum. My hitachi drive has been on 5398 hours and was powered on only 68 times :hehe:

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

thats why you should back up =p lol

I really feel for you tho. Ive had 2 HDD failures and I think another one is on the way out. Really need to back it up tho its more the family's stuff not mine thats on it lol

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

tbh cyril I doubt samsung would replace the drive for something so trivial. I bet their warranty only covers mechanically broken drives

5. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Well it's affecting things enough to give me 2 bluescreens today (from the storage controller driver) and 15-30+ second freezes in explorer or other programs if they attempt to access dodgy areas of the drives :sigh:

Might try a low level format on one of the drives soon to see if that improves things.

6. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

could it be a controler issue or a cable issue i had a IDE cable fail once and it took the HDD with it.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Try new SATA cables or power them off until you can dump the data to another disk! They are still usable right? Just a bit slow?

On a related topic - our testing Samsung F3 died today after finally surcoming to a wheezy death.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

How long you been using thawt for? You seem to be killing alot of hardware these days.......or maybe its all just comming out at once xD

9. Anarki

Anarki CULV fan

Not to dishearten you, but if it's a hardware problem, any-level-formatting won't really help.
    I don't really trust SMART though, I've had an HDD with awful SMART stats for just over 2 years which is still working perfectly. If you're getting BSODs and slow performance though, your disks are most likely really dying.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We have hardware fall over every week, it's normal.

11. Daytona178

Daytona178 What's a Dremel?

HDD's fail all the time, hence i always tell people to BACK UP!!!!!

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I doubt your blue screens are anything that's a result of that Crystal Disk analysis. Pending Bad sectors just means that it's found some sectors that are suspect. If it continues to find errors on those sectors, it will re-allocate them. I have a Seagate drive with over 200 re-allocated sectors on it, and it still works fine. Having a handful of pending bad sectors on a drive that's been running for 2500 hours isn't as terrible as you think.

Besides.. as everyone else says, back up. No drive is perfect, and they will ALL eventually fail. Some sooner than others, but they ALL fail.

Regular scheduled back up, preferably to a drive with redundancy is the only way to be safe(er). If you want to be sure... then back up your back up as well. Call me paranoid if you want, but I've never lost any data due to hardware failure in 20+ years computing. That's not due to luck, as i've had MANY drives fail on me. It's due to back up.

13. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Perhaps you should consider a Western Digital? lol

[​IMG]

However, I have 2 Samsungs in the same pc, and another in my games pc, so guess I'm a Samsung fanboy really..

14. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Hate to be dumb, but in those screenshots, what exactly leads you to believe they're failing? I don't know what I'm looking at/for...