1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Desktop Deluxe - the bit different computer case (90% done)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dirty_harry, 31 Mar 2010.

1. dirty_harry

dirty_harry nothing beats german engineering

Hello guys,

I'm Adrian, 21 years old, student (engineering) from Germany.
    After I bulit some furnitures in the past four years I decided to build a new desk - something you could never buy in a store.
    What's so special about this table?

-> PC integrated and cooled by a self made ventilation system - efficient and silent. In addition a watercooling system will cool processor, graphic card and chipset.
    -> enough space for three screens, documents, printer, subwoofer and other devices - the lenth is 210cm
    -> matching to my other furnitures
    -> high stability
    -> high workplace convenience

As you can see in the title, I'm currently working on it, but there are several pictures available:

First, a picture to show you, how it looked like before I started building the new desk:
    [​IMG]

Now the sketch I drew three weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

Some material:
    [​IMG]

After some days of work, the skeletal structure was finished:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the glass plate from the first picture I added; since then it was possible to use the table.
    [​IMG]

But there was a lot of work left; the computer is still working in it's metal case instead of the table, so I startet with the 'maintainance-drawer', which allows me to change computer parts without to take apart half of the desk. What you can also see are the silentboxes. They will contain one 140mm-fan and a radiator each and a lot of sound proofing :naughty:
    [​IMG]

The same from behind - now with the grill added (air intake)
    [​IMG]

This is one of the two fans. This one has a special mounting that works as an adapter, too. It enables to push the air into the duct (110mm!)
    [​IMG]

This is the finished lower level of the drawer (you can only see the cover). The white things are the air ducts.
    [​IMG]

The same level in this picture but now the other two levels already installed: 1) the middle level for all cables (power and signal; in the back you can see the multiple socket outlet). 2) the upper level for all pc-components.
    [​IMG]

Now let's go to the right side of the table where printer and subwoofer are hidden. In the picture the door is missig but it's already installed now. To prevent the laser printer from overheating and give the subwoofer enough air to 'breath' there are severat air slots.
    [​IMG]

As you can see in the picture, the cables are leading through the side plate. there is a special reason for that - later you will not see any cable from every angle; except the power cord from the outlet - like Apple's iMac. they will be hidden between glas plate, wooded bearing and lower wooden plate. Some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it. Within the next days the pc will change it's case and the signal cables will arrive. after the weekend the watercooling system will be installed. then there is not much work left, so stay tuned - the end is in sight :)

to be continued...

Special thanks to auqatuning.de for providing me parts of my watercooling!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS: please forgive me my school english ;)

Last edited: 28 Apr 2010
  2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nice looking design, very practical. I always run out of desk space when I need to use the bench setup and laptop with my main rig and also have all the speakers and paperwork around.

3. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking about doing something similar for a long time now. I can't stand the sight of cables so to have them all hidden inside the desk is something I've wanted to do, so I'll be interested to see how yours turns out - looks good so far.

4. dirty_harry

Today I have a small update for you. Nothing special... It's because I'm still waiting for some things being delivered. I ordered a lot of cables two weeks ago. Most of them arrived last week, but I miss two cables and two adapters... Within the next days the last parts of my watercooling should arrive.

Now let's continue with the pictures:

This is the PC-level. You can see the cable holes and the power outlet for the slave devices (screens, printer, subwoofer,...)
    [​IMG]

In this picture you can see one of my two radiators monted on a PSU-case. Fits perfectly! Both, the radiator and the fan with it's housing, are mounted on the cover of the silentbox.
    [​IMG]

Who can see the difference between this and the picture shown in post #1? ;)
    [​IMG]

These are the candidates for cooling my pc-components:
    [​IMG]
    They were built in 2003 by Aqua-Computer. As soon as the connectors will arrive, I'm able to built the watercooling together and make a test-run.

That's it. As long as I'm waiting for the last ordered parts I'm forced to do nothing. So don't expect any huge update within the next days...

stay tuned...

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I've never seen that AC cpu block before. It looks neat.

6. dirty_harry

7. dirty_harry

Hardware inside!

[​IMG]

Well, it's just a test run and the watercooling is not in use, but the system is running great and so i can go one step further: building up the front including the self-made water reservator. It's coming to an end, guys :)

The DVD-burner will be replaced by a BR-burner with slot in within the next years :D. This will be integrated in the plexiglas-front. The actual drive will find it's place in the drawer.

8. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

Nice work so far =)
    but as someone who thought a lot about custom builds: aren't you afraid of having problems with for example fitting a new printer in your desk? Because the fit looks pretty tight^^

But still, nice work =)

And how much was the glass plate? =D

9. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

That's 1 sweet desk. I'm just wondering, are the individual parts going to be covered or ill it be open air

10. dirty_harry

Yes, the will be some air ducts for critical parts like hard disks, PSU, memory, MOSFETs and Southbridge. CPU, GPU and Northbrigdge will be cooled by water.

Well, that's a good thought; you're thinking like me :D A future printer will fit in, I think. My Lexmark is not huge but greater than most of the A4-printers available. I checked the size of my fathers laserprinter, which is also great in size - it will fit to. But if I will buy a new one within the next years I have to check the size first. ;)
    What you can not see in the picture: on the left side of the printer there is a space with a depth of about 10cm (~4 inch).

The glass plate was 60€ in the Swedish furniture store ;) It's size is 150cm*80cm*1cm.

Today I received some cables: five 90cm S-ATA-cables, two PCIe-power-extensions (30cm) and two 3.5mm audio entensions (2 meters). Also I received a thermal pad for my northbidge-cooler.

St3ph likes this.
  11. dirty_harry

Today I started working with Google Sketchup Pro and my first project was my desktop, so the first time ever I could was able to think about the reservator clearly. The choise of material and position is not made yet. First i have to check, if I can use the CNC of my college to make the pflexiglass ready for USB and cardreader.

Now two screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

stay tuned...

12. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

You want one?
    I've got an all-copper version, that fits sockets 775 and 478....:D

13. ZROCWS6

ZROCWS6 What's a Dremel?

Like it! Nice idea.

14. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Very nice work there! :D Just makes me want to start something myself

15. dirty_harry

Today I finished the HDD-Silentbox für six hard disks. The performance is great. No more noise now :)
    [​IMG]

16. dirty_harry

Last friday I worked the whole day on my desk. My aim was to reduce the cable spaghetti and go furter with my tasks building the front. This is what the cover of the cable-level looks like now from below:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the front of my desk beeing finished. The lower drawer is installed, but without the panel (will be added in the end) and the panel of the reservator is already on it's final position.
    [​IMG]

All the cables for LCDs, printer and other devices need to be flexible in their lengh, so that I can pull out the maintenance drawer. But with the drawer fully pulled out the lenght is about one meter; pulled in about 20cm. So I have 80cm of cables to keep away from the wall and the tracks of the drawer. The most basic solution is a pivot arm that keeps the cable in a horziontal position - works great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Need_for_Speed

Need_for_Speed Hello computer.

Great job! I like the cable linkage. Any updates?

18. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Can't wait for further updates. Looks amazing so far.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Cool desk, very functional looking