1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I_Want_The_Gold, 18 Apr 2010.

1. I_Want_The_Gold

I_Want_The_Gold What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, what do you think of this pc?

#
    Price for this PC System: £1467 inc VAT and Delivery.
    #

#
    Case
    #
    COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£80)**SPECIAL**
    #

#
    Processor (CPU)
    #
    Intel® Core™i7-860 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache)
    #

#
    Motherboard
    #
    ASUS® P7H57D-V EVO: FULL ATX, TRUE USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0 GB/s
    #

#
    Memory (RAM)
    #
    8GB CORSAIR DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY!
    #

#
    Graphics Card
    #
    1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
    #

#
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk
    #
    80GB Intel® X25-M (34nm) HIGH PERFORMANCE 2.5" SSD (upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)
    #

#
    2nd Hard Disk
    #
    2TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
    #

#
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
    #
    24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
    #

#
    Power Supply & Case Cooling
    #
    CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£72)
    #

#
    Processor Cooling
    #
    COOLERMASTER V8 EXTREME CPU COOLER - Experience the power of V8 (£49)
    #

#
    Sound Card
    #
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    #

#
    Network Facilities
    #
    WIRELESS N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
    #

#
    USB Options
    #
    6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

My monitor will be a Dell 2209WA (Recomended to me but not purchased yet, so is changable) and my OS will be Windows 7 64 bit. I will be using it for gaming, HD movies and general computer stuff (Web surfing, music, ect.). Might overclock, although I have never done it before and have no idea how, but it is a possibility.

Do you think I have spent too much on it? A friend of mine bought a PC for around £1000, monitor included, and said it can play crysis on the best settings.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: 19 Apr 2010
  2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

the case is good but loud;
    for your ssd. you sure 80gb is enough as system disk?
    dont you take no no name hard disk. take a samsung F3 or something like that.
    processor cooler... wel the thing will do it's job. but there are options out there that will too, and probably better. i'm talking titan fenrir and siblings.
    monitor is a good choice in my opinion.
    and your os. win7 64bit which one? home premium is recommended.
    i'm just not sure you can't find it cheaper.

and next time, cut out the hash signs and white lines, makes the whole thing much easier to read.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thats actually a pretty bitchin rig. Don't sweat about how much your spending, because you getting a top cpu, top SSD, loads of storage space, good gpu, etc. The only thing is that that CPU cooler is expensive for what you getting, switch to a Titan Fenrir which is £10 cheaper. BTW your friend is either lying or gaming at 800x600 as £1000 PCs don't play Crysis at 1920x1200 Very High, DX10, 16xAA.

4. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

I agree with Ph4ZeD about switching to a titan fenrir. It'll save you money.
    I would also suggest that if you are not going to perform any CPU intensive tasks on this system, then switch down to a core i5 750 and use that money to buy a radeon 5870 and/or a monitor with a higher resolution of 1920 x 1200.

Lastly, check this link out - http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CadI5xNLwMYopFyJ&content=specifications
    Its the memory support list for your motherboard. Its always a good idea to cross check your selected memory with this list.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

nice build, replace the V8 with the Fenrir and you're sorted.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

wouldnt have the H57 mobo either id opt for a P55 chipset instead since you wont be needing or have a compatible CPU with intergrated graphics

personally 80gb is no where near enough for my main drive. its very easy to fill it up to well over 100gb with only a few games instead since some take up over 15gb on install now.

id dump the wireless card if you like to game online as there really is no subsitute for wired connection.

agreed with the cooler drop it and get something like the titan fenrir which is better and cheaper.

8Gb seems excessive as there wont be much difference if you drop to 4 saving you loads of cash in the process.

self build is still cheaper i think.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Good spot on the mobo, didn't notice that.

Just because 80GB isn't enough for you doesn't mean it wont be for him. Larger than 80GB SSDs cost a fortune.

8GB RAM probably is excessive atm, but it might not be in 2 years.

We all know that self-build is teh sex but hes probably not that confident or he wouldn't be getting some muggins to build it for him.

8. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

adam makes a good point about the H57 mobo and the wireless card. I have tried playing COD4 with a wireless G adaptor and it wasnt a good experience. Wired connection is the best for online gaming.

Check out bit-tech's hardware guide for this month - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2010/04/13/pc-hardware-buyer-s-guide-april-2010/3

The motherboard and cpu combination should be more than enough for your purposes and save you more money which you could invest in other areas.

9. I_Want_The_Gold

I can't find anywhere to get all these parts together (built and sent to me). Especially the Titan Fenrir and the P55 motherboard. Is the WD Caviar Green 2TB a good HD? It's the only named HD that's 2TB.

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The obvious solution is to just build the rig yourself :D

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Build it yourself it just not that hard and you will get all the help you need right here.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

yep, the V8 inst that good, Fenrir is better and cheaper.
    With a nice budget like that, why not consider X58, you can buy an i7 920 D0 for £180 now, or opt for the newer 930 but cost quite a bit more....

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

i7 920 for £165
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R for about £160
    Patriot Viper Extreme 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 C8 1600MHz for £143
    Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB for £60
    Corsair HX Series 750W for £109
    VTX ATI Radeon HD 5870 for £299
    Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir V2 for £32
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - OEM for £78

So far thats £1046 (all from Aria.co.uk), so masses of cash for a case and a SSD when they hopefully drop in price in a couple of months.

:)

14. rollo

rollo Modder

920s are on sale so overclockers have them for below £170 at the min

if you can make it yourself you will be better off

and 8gb of ram is overkill

15. I_Want_The_Gold

Build 1: http://pastebin.com/nvcujGtY
    Build 2: http://pastebin.com/TYS53nHG

What do you think of these two builds? Which is better?

Is 1600MHz better than 1333MHz? If so, should I change the motherboard in Build 2? Can the 930 CPU support it? Someone told me that the 860 couldn't.

Is the WD Caviar Green 2TB a good drive or should I change it?

Also, the V8 could be changed to a Fenrir but only if I put it in myself. What about water cooling? That is the other option on the site.

16. I_Want_The_Gold

One last question lol

If I was going to overclock would I need better PSUs? or better cooling? I don't know anything about overclocking but with enough research it's a possibility.

17. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

second build, with the V8 changed into the titan fenrir, the ssd trown out (they're not worth their money right now, and 80gb is not really enough for a bootdisk, especially as you are branded on getting 2TB on storage.) and about the storage, get two samsung F3 1TB's. those are GOOD disks. and if one fails, you only lose 1TB, instead of two.

your psu is good enough for overclocking. the ram; if you're thinking of going high, then you should take the 1600rated. if you're staying easy, go for the 1333. with a fenrir in a HAF, cooling is taken care of.

and build the thing yourself. you'll learn a lot about how a computer fits together. that'll help you later on, for example when overclocking.

18. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

to be honest both builds are pretty much the same in performance terms.

1600mhz is better but i would only get it if your aiming for high overclocks around 3.8+

the WD drive is slow but if its just for storage and your not running programs from it its fine because its quieter and uses less power.

The V8 isnt brilliant to be honest. if your not comfortable with fitting your own cooler is there another option ?

water cooling requires some maintance plus its only worth it if your overclocking or must have a silent system. id stay away from it if your a bit of a novice with PCs in case something goes wrong.

on your last question 650W is perfectly fone for both systems. Good cooling is essential for overclocking so a good CPU cooler and airflow in your case is a must.

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Little difference, and you'll only get the memory to 1,600MHz if you overclock iirc - the stock Base clock of 133 on Intel CPUs doesn't let you push memory that high.

The WD 2TB is a poor main system boot drive - it's much slower than the Samsung Spinpoint F3 and more geared to bulk storage.

20. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Another option, is that scan (via the AMD shop) are selling of phenom 2 965's at £120 including vat, that'll give you more money to spend on the graphics card, also some reviews show that the 965's are better at scaling to higher resolutions on gaming. This benchmark compares a 965 C3 against a core I7 940, and the scaling on the AMD is quite good, in some cases beating the i7 940.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x4-965-be-revision-c3-review-test/16
    hope that helps.