1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME to close 100 UK stores, CEO resigns

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Apr 2010.

1. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

What if steam did a Pre-Owned Market? Sell your games to another person at a lower price and steam take 20% of that money. Then you can use the rest a a discount on other games. Would be popular I reckon. Just automate the account to account transfer system. Would it be open to abuse? Maybe if an account was hacked. Maybe Email Confirmation?
    What do you all think?

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I dont think steam would have affected game too much. Games PC choices are an absolute joke. They are 95% console stores.

3. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Ha I think you severely overestimate the amount GAME gets from selling PC games its all about the 360 and Wii and games being much cheaper on Amazon Play etc PC DD is merely a small drop for them.

4. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I'd prefer just being able to gift games away rather than sell them even if its just to get alot of the rubbish off my account. I doubt Valve will ever bother with this though they seem to be doing just fine on the current model.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hmm may see if i can pick up pokemon SS on th e cheap next week

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

You sir, are on crack.

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Computer exchange seem to have a big chunk of the town centre pre-owned market too, every time i go in there are always queues of people selling/part exchanging games. I assume that you could also trade in old laptops, phones, cameras etc and put that towards new games too.

8. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

Mmm, closing down sales...

Mind you, I'm not suprised they're having to shut stores - where I live there are two stores and a concession!

Still, they sell bugger all PC games anyway so bollocks to them.

9. Raptorkid

Raptorkid What's a Dremel?

Seems that the multiple store thing is pretty common, then. There's two in my local shopping centre, one directly above the other...

10. Embattle

Embattle What's a Dremel?

Game just had too many shops, esp considering the bulk of what they sell is just games thus they've no other markets and get hurt badly.

As for Steam I'm not sure why so many people use it in the UK but at the same time talk about rip off games since for all new releases Steam is always one of the more expensive places to purchase a game.

11. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Sorry, supermarkets don't sell at a loss.... thanks

12. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I do like Game, and having come close more than a couple of times to being made redundant I really feel for the staff laid off, it's a gut wrenching feeling when you're not sure what's happening to your security. The problem they have now is because histroically they have always been very expensive nobody bothers looking in there now. Honestly if I'm buying a game I'll go on play.com/steam or ebay for older stuff. Their prices aren't too bad anymore but they've made people form habits that are difficult to break. Granted if I'm making a big purchase like a console I'll go to Game for the points and peace of mind that I don't have to post it off if it catches fire. Never liked gamestation, the one in town smells funny and I'm not too sure if it's the customers or the staff :S

13. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I have only bought from their stores a few times only because I couldn't find what I was looking for elsewhere.

'Sometimes' I had managed to get some excellent pre-order deals from their online store.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I hope they don't close my local store, games are usually overpriced but there's the odd bargain to be had and I like to drop in when being dragged out shopping with the family.

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leaders

I really think you need to retake that business GCSE you took.

Back on topic, GAME have dug their own grave. They thought that they could easily cash in on the rise in popularity of games and they would just sell themselves. Online etailing has crushed them and digital distribution means their PC game sales must have tanked. Plenty of times I've gone into GAME looking to be tempted by they sell stuff like Napoleon: Total War for £35 and Amazon was selling it for £17.99....

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

One time I preordered World in Conflict in a GAME store after seeing it on their website for £20. When I went to collect it they wanted £30 for it. Wouldn't even price match their own website...
    You don't always get good preorder deals with them.

Hurr hurr hurr

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

x-x

Last edited: 24 Apr 2010
  18. Tengu

Tengu Tengu

I live in belfast....and the game stores are bad over here too,two game stores are a stone throw away from each other (idiots) most of the time very little stock for the pcs maybe one or two rows and thats it pricing is sometimes away off one game on a shelf is £29.99 and a couple boxes down the same game is £19.99!!! .

i know "digital" distribution is now the future,i rather go to the shop and buy the DVD instead and chat with staff and fellow customers about the latest releases and hardware and stuff. You do not get that anymore,its give us your money and go....

19. puck

puck What's a Dremel?

You're quite right, *MAYBE* they don't. Sainsbury's, for example, sold MW2 for £26 on release day (console), that must be VERY close to margin to not really make a difference. So sure you're not making a loss, but you're not really making a profit either.

That brings me to your point.

I think you are more interested in market share than anything else. Typical generalist retailer. Find a market and dominate it.

Hey when Tesco posts a profit of £3,000,000,000.00 for ONE year you get the picture that making a huge margin is NOT what the supermarkets are about. On average £1 of every £7 we spend goes to Tesco!

Most of you seem to want your games for as cheap as you can get them, fine, they've just become a tin of beans.

How many brands of beans can you get at your local supermarket?

20. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I asked the people on TV about this, they said it was the pirates and that they even downloaded a car!

Tags: Add Tags