1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Fruit&Veg

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Jumeira_Johnny, 9 May 2010.

1. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

[​IMG]
    1/3200 @ f/4

[​IMG]
    1/4000 @ f/4

3x SB 900s ganged camera right
    3x SB 900s ganged camera left slightly behind

Triggered by CLS, FP HSS

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

thwock!

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

so how many shots did it take to get the ones you were happy with?

4. Jumeira_Johnny

These 2 are only the quick picks. Out of the 400+, I think there are about 20-25 that are usable. Most are off because of our batting, pitching and the fruit being resilient rather then focus or the lighting. It seems that squashes and apples need to be bashed straight on or else the just glance off the bat. I hope to get around to culling and editing tomorrow morning, so I'll have a better idea of what the take is then.

Edit: 404 total, 27 keepers. 16 to upload. Maybe one portfolio shot, I'm still deciding.

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  5. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

how did you sync that at 1/4000 using flash?

6. Jumeira_Johnny

I used Nikon's Auto FP High Speed Sync which is built into CLS. One SB-900 as a master on camera, and 6 SBs in two groups of 3. I rented 3 more SB-900s to go with the 2 900s and 2 800s I usually work with.

Auto FP HSS basically is a system of pulses as the 2 shutters move together over 1/250th. You loose lots of power output, but gain the ability to sync up to 1/8000th. Hence needing to gang the lights to keep the output up. We were up to 1/6400th and things were crystal clear. We actually moved down to 1/4000th to add some motion. At this point, I'm seriously looking for used SB-800/900s to keep around for some sports stuff I have floating around in my head. And I have a few nibbles from some clients for this sort of work, so this was a experimental fun shoot that has the potential for a payoff.

I'll have to find it tomorrow, but there is a shot where you can see the seeds from a papaya frozen in place. It's just awesome.

This was the inspiration and a good write up on the Canon system. Which even he admits isn't as developed as Nikon's CLS. And is my primary reason for using Nikon.

Last edited: 9 May 2010
  7. eddie_dane

Thx for the details, that's really impressive. I'm running on 2 SB-600's and one 800 and dying to get my hands on a 900 or two, or three.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

I would recomend one 900 as a master, since the menu system is sooo much better. But keep a look out for used 800s, since once they are set you rarely touch them anyway and they are popping up a lot now that people are desperate to sell things for cash. The only problem is a) everyone is looking for them so b) they keep their value.

If any one is interested, my take away from the first outing is:

1. Bring wet lens wipes. The spray, especially from the oranges, is wicked. Licking the lens and a tshirt is a not a good idea. Microfiber is useless here.
    2. Bring wet wipes for your hands. and face. and dog.
    3. Limber up with stretching. It helps with not being sore the next day.
    4. Bring a laptop, but keep it further away. We were over exposing by about 2/3rds a stop, because we couldn't judge the camera screen, and the histograms were looking ok. Slightly underexposed looks better, Mainly because of the sky.
    5. Bring trash bags for cleanup.
    6. Granny Smiths, Red Delicious, Oranges, Papayas and Pineapples are good. Gem squashes are too hard and just split, tomatoes vaporize. Potatoes need to be fresh to work. Melons are ok, but break into large pieces.
    7. This is a 3 man job.
    8. Do not power through the swing. It ends up either covering the face, or sending the fragments 1/2 a kilometer away before you can capture them. Try bunting, a powerful short swing that stops short of crossing the body. You really want a spray and chunks, in a controlled manner.

[​IMG]
    1/2000 @ f/4

[​IMG]
    1/5000 @ f/5

[​IMG]
    1/5000 @ f/5

[​IMG]
    1/5000 @ f/4

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  9. eddie_dane

#2 is awesome, nice good expression and clean background

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I've seen that expression before - when I was 10 years old and up to no good.

You look like you're having way too much fun. Nice work though, and a good write up to boot.

11. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

I like the last one but agree about the naughty boy expression in the other picture :hehe:

Would have been seriously cool if you could have made it look like the sun was part of an explosion in the last picture :naughty:

Nice work!

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  12. GandalfDDUK

GandalfDDUK What's a Dremel?

very impressive, caught some amazing action of the fruit and veg there as it totally disintegrates.

13. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

that brings out the inner very destructive kid in every guy. I like :) esp the second one

14. LeonaS

LeonaS What's a Dremel?

Awesome, how imaginative! :)

Tags: