Motherboards HELP - Anyone with P6X58D Premium CPU socket pin question?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by trixla, 31 May 2010.

1. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Can someone who has a P6X58D Premium motherboard and has access to the CPU socket (able to view the socket pins) please can you help look the pins for me. I need clarification.

To cut a long story short, after a week completing my build, I realised that it recognised only 4 of the 6GB memory sticks. Tried each stick in each slot and found the middle (B2) slot dead (wouldn't post) for all sticks. I RMA'd it but the 2nd motherabord has the same problem. so I'm following this link as I can't believe I have a 2nd faulty board. 2nd slot is dead but all memory works in other slots (including A2,B2,C2).

I'm currently trying to see if it's my building that's causing the memory loss so I have my motherboard on it's own and I've scrutinised it with a magnifying glass. I can't see any bent pins BUT I can see an empty space where possbly a pin can go there. The rest of the socket has raised plastic bits (like a wall) on the outside of the socket, but one place, although it has raised plastic there, there is a small gap.

CPU SOCKET
    [​IMG]
    Direct Link - http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5378/p6x58dsocket.jpg

I did wonder whether the middle missing block was normal or not but then i saw a video where that rectangular block was missing also...so I assumed this to be normal. It's the top right corner of the picture which I'm unsure about.

CPU SOCKET CLOSE UP
    [​IMG]
    Direct Link - http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2974/p6x58dpincloseup.jpg

I was unable to find a picture of the socket without the CPU cap and i couldn't find a pictire with the latch open to see the socket fully. I did however managed to screenshoot a video from youtube. I can't however be certain whether there is a gap like mine or three isn't. I tried counting the pins, measuring distances, finding out where the wall started and ended and compared to mine but i'm still not certain. I simply cannot find a better picture to compare with.

YOUTUBE SCREENCAP OF P6X58D
    [​IMG]
    Direct Link - http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8175/p6x58dsocketyoutube.png

I'm asking those who have the P6X58D to hand and is able to look at the socket. to please confirm whether there should be a gap there or not. I don't know what is normal or not on motherboards.

Help appreciated (even those without the board) as i'm desperate. First time build, was happy, then gutted about the memory....now i'm back to square one with the same problem but different board :waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah:

p.s. I was ever so careful when installing the CPU as I did reading about bent pins whilst the RMA was ongoing.

Last edited: 31 May 2010
  2. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

nevermind guys, i found the answer to my own question. Looking at other boards, i see that gap so thankfully it's normal. Least i got that out of the way...now to solving my memory!!

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

memory controller is onboard the cpu dont forget... Board may well work as it should.

Andy

5. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I had this exact same problem with an Asus P6X58D-E (with Thermalright Venomous X cooler) that I bought and setup last week; when the ram, 6GB G.Skill PC3-12800 Ripjaw (F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM), was in slots A1,B1,C1 only 4GB was recognised in BIOS and Win 7, however when ram was in A1,A2,C1 all 6GBs was seen by both BIOS and Win 7, when any of the 3 sticks of ram was put in B1 DIMM the comp would not boot, so I concluded that B1 DIMM was faulty. The supplier also found the same fault when I had returned it as an RMA.

At the present I am waiting for the replacement motherboard to be delivered tomorrow.

What ram (exact make etc) and CPU cooler are you using?

Will let you know how I get on.
    ________
    VAPORIZER WIKI

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  6. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

My scenarios was exactly the same with the 1st motherboard. B1 was dead but all the oher slots including A2, B2 etc was fine. As i got a replacemnt, i can only conclude that the shop experienced the same thing.

Ram - TR3X61600C7 7-7-7-20
    Cooler - venomous x like yours

When i got my replacement and got the same incomplete memoy, i followed the steps that i linked to. I analysed the cpu pins and all were ok. My motherboard had passed all the steps except for the cooler installation and/or the shorting.

I installed the stock intel cooler - 6gb spot on. It was then that I knew it was the venomous x.

Anyways, I bought some fibre washers from Maplins and have stuck 4 washers below the motherboard (not the top as the thumscrews had plastic bits on). I then ensured the cooler was installed correctly (i scrutinised everything after each assembly step).

I get 6gb now. Hope you get yours sorted out.

7. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Really glad you got yours sorted, excellent! :thumb:

Well, I got my replacement motherboard today, put it all together and still only show 4GB of ram when in A1,B1,C1, the problem still being with B1, have tried everything in the above links and more before I start trying stock cooler snd then reseating Venomous X, so that will be my next step.

Not quite sure where you put the four fibre washers, was it here (as indicated)?

[​IMG]

Could you link to the washers you got on the Maplins website please...EDIT: was it These that you used?
    ________
    Wong Amat condos

8. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

Yes that picture is spot on. The screws that go on top of that (to hold the motherboard) has plastic bits, which won't short the motherboard. So i put it on the bottom of the motherboard as your picture.

link to the fibre washers - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47085

I googled as to where to put them and a lot of sites said the top. One site said something about those thin treads on the motherboard. Now the screws on my backplate were touching those little lines but not any solders. I don't know whether it affected it (i.e. backplate screw touching those motherboard lines) but the fibre washers are so thin, i thought it didn't matter. I just put one washer on each 4 screws.

I tried the stock cooler and once it recognised 6gb, i knew the incomplete memory was due to my installation. I really took my time when installing the Venomous after the stock cooler. Pain the the backside but at least i dont have to RMA the board.

edit...lol...your experience was exactly like mine...bloody B1!

Good luck!

9. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Thanks...

By chance I just happen to have a few of those washers at hand so will give this a go tomorrow and will let you know how I get on...
    ________
    red head Cam

10. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Just went ahead and did that and all 6GB of ram is now showing in BIOS and Win 7 in slots A1,B1,C1...

________
    LIVE SEX

11. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

Glad to know you have all 6:thumb: