1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Belkin wireless and TalkTalk connection speed.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dean R, 11 Jun 2010.

1. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Currently running an N+ rated Belkin Wireless router with a TalkTalk (took over Tiscali) connection. It is rated to run at 8Mb but according to http://www.speedtest.net/ it is running at 0.6Mb. It is too slow to even load regular Youtube videos, i.e. non-HD.

I know it is very rare you get near your advertised connection speed but this is miles off. Using the wired modem they initially provided me with I can get up to 4Mb sometimes. After ringing TalkTalk they basically passed the problem onto Belkin, Belkin then passed us back onto Talktalk. :eyebrow:

I know this N+ wireless router is good because I use one at my flat at university on a 20Mb Virgin connection. My other parents' house about a mile away also uses a Talktalk 8Mb connection and gets about 4.5Mb (with a different router), so I know it is not to do with latency to server.

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue, even better if you have experienced the same problem yourself.

Thanks.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

that is wierd.

best thing to do is use the talk talk router as a modem and use your belkin as the router.

job done best of both worlds then you get your N+ and 4mbps download

3. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Okay that worked. Thanks a lot. It's only running at 3.25Mb which is a lot less then 8Mb, but at least it's not 0.6Mb ;).

Any idea why it may be so slow generally?

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

my guess would be its something to do with talk talk configuration on the modem been different than the modem config in the belkin.

but in all honesty it shouldnt make a difference which you use as they are both ADSL2+ routers.

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e