Motherboards Help me make a DOS boot CD ISO to flash dead laptop please!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mr Meltdown, 1 Jul 2010.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Got an Acer laptop that was killed by bios flash, it appears able to boot form CD drive but thanks to blank screen it makes it hard to know whats going on..

What I want is a DOS boot CD that will automatically run the flash program with command string with no user input at all.

Im testing the boot CDs on a another laptop to see if I can make them work (minus the flashing command and bios file of course as I dont want another dead laptop, I just want it to automatically run the flash program, then I know Im nearly there and just add the bios file and command string to flash it.

I have DOS 6.22 CD bootable ISO but it always goes to A: prompt. :http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos-bootable-cd-images.html

I have in magic IOS edited to autoexec.bat to my liking and I have to manually enter the drive letter and path to the flash program, but somehow the autoexec.bat Im editing ISNT the one it runs!! Im confused.

I've put the flash program into the root with the other files inc the edited autoexec.bat and it makes no difference.

Anyone tell me how to make this work? :duh:

Cheers

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

What does your edited autoexec.bat file look like?

3. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

OK sorted the CD image after (cough) 10 discs now lol, ...using winimage and magiciso and imgburn...Gave up with the above image and used 98Se floppy image on my PC and edited the autoexec.bat and config.sys to suit.

Got it automatically running the Phlash16.exe and it then giving beeps for no bios.wph which it looks for on the spare Acer. ....tried it in the dead Acer but I get no beeps or sounds from it with speaker connected?! So i'd imagine its stuffed and just going thru the motions of booting.

Anyway put in the missing Bios.wph and edited the autoexec.bat with flash string and reburned and have it sitting in the dead acer for about 10 mins to see what happens.(which is exactly nothing as I type this!) Im really pissed off with this as I think it was the Acer flash file that had the missing bios file that killed it. B@st@rds.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/495543-acer-9303-killed-stone-dead-acers-bios-flash.html

Cheers

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm not surprised to be honest.

I don't know why motherboard manufacturers insist on releasing Windows based BIOS updaters because you hear nothing but comp[laints about them. They **** up all the times it appears.

They should just release an .iso to burn so you can boot from it and it runs the update.

Not getting any beeps is a bad sign. It means you probably have bigger problems than the mobo not being able to access the display adapter.

5. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Yes the USB doesnt work as well so its shafted...

The original download had no bios file in it compared to other versions even of the same 1.20 BIOS download, so I am under the impression that the windows flash program just ran and wiped the bios and had nothing to replace it with and killed the motherboard. Im not willing to try it again on the other Acer I have to find out for sure. Im going to contact Acer and complain with little hope they will help me.

Cheers

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

That's when having a RW or two around pays for itself!

7. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Tell me something I dont know, ....you should see my office though, they are there somewhere but god only knows where...lol

Cheers