1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Windows 7 64bit now highest used OS on Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Omnituens, 1 Aug 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Damn, the hardware survey ambushed me when i was on the laptop. Now i'll have to wait for it to come around again so i can add my i7 to the statistics. I think the last time the hardware survey showed up for me i was running a Pentium D :D

2. October

October Mariachi Style

I had that same problem for a while, I was either on the laptop or my parents PC :hehe:

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yeah, so 91% of all Steam gamers who have a multi-GPU setup use 2-way SLi. Not 91% of all Steam gamers. Multi-GPU is going to represent a small proportion of the total Steam steam gamers.

4. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It's done on all your computers, no matter when it asks. I think it asks the first time and checks up periodically, but that's just to get your consent.

5. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I have 1 quad, 1 3core, and 1 2 core, with 2 on Win 7 64bit and 1 0n Vista 64 bit but i'm not on steam, so they "missed" me Hi

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

hazzah! for Steam tag, my first time seeing it.

please, please do a Supreme Commander 64bit-only, army size in millions and minimal requirement: 6GB RAM.

7. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I love misleading headlines too!

8. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Ghz? Valve, are you serious? Get your suffixes sorted from you I would have expected better. Incorrect terminology is one of my biggest pet peeves.

*Shakes fist!*

9. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Exactly ...win7 started from a user base of 0 in 2009 to the 30%+ it is today while Xp has been around how many years?

10. Andrew G

Andrew G Where's my Crayons!

There are trends for gamers though? Cannot see my aunty Mary having steam to send e-mails to her sister in Auz or to find the latest knitting patterns online.

Is it just me or does:

"The most popular primary resolution is 1680x1050, while most users have 512MB of VRAM and 3GB of system RAM. " point to high 32bit environment usage and a high street bought system, which I believe doesn't back up the high use of SLI and Crossfire, since high street systems do not tend to sport these features.

11. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

3 GB is probably due to all the xp 7 and vista 32 bit users exceeding the 64 bit user base. Also the X58 platform could have a small effect.

12. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

It doesn't tell you how many people use SLI and Crossfire from the whole pool, just the percentages of people with more than one GPU in the system, indicating the dispersion amongst JUST multi-GPU users.

13. Fused

Fused Minimodder

I recently installed Win 7 64bit so I added to its increase. However I am dual-booting Win 7 with XP 32bit so depending on which operating system I am on come the next steam hardware survery I could mess with the statistics!

(In a small with no impact kinda of way, unless lots of us are dual booting and for some reason play games on both through steam) Anyway.

Long live XP! I'm still not sure what Win 7 (64 bit) does that is so amazing. Seems quicker and generally loads quicker but it is a fresh install and my xp one is about a year old now. Don't think I have any 64bit software either at this point.

Still can use DX10 now though!

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

What about those CS kiddies who are constantly getting vac banned and buying new versions of the game to keep it in the top sellers. Presumably every time they get a new steam account, they could take the hardware survey on the same PC as before, but it would show up as a new user who has an identical hardware configuration?

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

you can use more then 3gb of RAM and bit more secure (drivers have to be signed so rootkits are rare under 64bit OS)

you need vista or higher to use dx10

I guess most on here are not due booting been using 7 when it was rc out

only time vista ran ok if you had RAID 0 setup so it could handle all of the disk trashing it did

16. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yes, they used to do 'how many people use multi-gpu' and it was something like 2% - I can't find that now though.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Was it just me, as I couldn't see any Nvidia 4 series GPU's in the GPU section...

18. Notional

Notional What's a Dremel?

Nice. I also use win7 64 and I love it. Hopefully, Valve will start to make proper 64 bit games soon.

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i have my ti4400 at home.... you want it? then u can probably see 1 user in that list.....

back OT... ugh... im still on win7-32bit.... what can i say? its free. (from work. not bootlegged. thankyaverymuch.) just cant seem to justify the price even for an OEM.... besides, i only got 4gb. am i really losing out alot?

20. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Yeah! nVidia 8800 series is still going strong with 7,12% of the video cards.. long live my trusty old 8800GT!