1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU New CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mr.a2008, 26 Aug 2010.

1. mr.a2008

mr.a2008 What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I am thinking of getting a new CPU as I think mine is starting to give me the blue screen of death by suspected over heating issues. I currently have a Q6600 with the standard heatsink that comes with it pl for cooling I have 2x 80mm fan and a 240mm fan cooling the case. I have been running it at 100% CPU usage as I have been folding on 4xSMP clients and 1xGPU client on the machine plus on a few occasions I have came back to it and found out that it restarted itself with an error appearing once logged in. I was wondering whether it would be better to upgrade the CPU or not? Or it could be better in finding a better way of cooling the CPU and case?

Many thanks
    Mr.A

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Have you worked out that it is defiantly the CPU that is causing the problems? Have you checked the error codes. You could end up changing it and still not curing the problem.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Download CoreTemp and GPU-Z and post what temperatures they show.

4. mr.a2008

Well my CPU is peaking to just under 96, 85, 87, 94 degrees C and my GPU is at 75 degrees C. I cant find the log of the blue screen which is annoying.

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

That is pretty hot!! Something is up with the CPU cooling...

You could purchase some thermal paste, then clean, reapply and reattach but you might be better off just buying a decent cheap cooler like an AC Freezer 7 Pro or Gelid Tranquillo.

That CPU is still pretty decent, even more so if overclocked so unless you really need a better CPU, I would suggest sorting out the cooler.

*EDIT*

I actually know nothing about folding (just re-read your first post), but those temps still seem pretty damn high.

6. mr.a2008

Yes that is pretty damn hot and it is even underclocked by the motherboard for some reason cause its running at 1600MHz as well which aint its normal speed. So something must be up with it.

I would upgrade but I am currently out of pocket as I have no money untill the new school year begins in Plymouth..... not good.

I fold for the Bit-Tech and CustomPc team (Team #:35947) with Folding@home (http://folding.stanford.edu/). This is a program that uses the left over CPU and/or GPU power to look at protien strands that are for certain deseases and to help cure them as well. Its all for a good cause. You should do it depending on what you use your machine for and what the spec is.

7. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

^What he says. :lol:

8. mr.a2008

Who? Me or Ljs?

9. Ljs

Ljs Modder

No no, I understand what it is but never having done it, I'm not too sure on how it effects hardware (but from what I have been exposed to, it stresses it alot = heat).

I would participate but I mainly use my computer for my work, so I can't really. Plus I don't fancy the electricity bills! :p

10. mr.a2008

That's true. Well I never do it that much unless I am on here for pointless things and not going to use it to the max power. So when I am backing up or just using it for msn. Thats when I fold mainly. But I know what you mean it does put a load of strain on the CPU and GPU the whole time.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I would buy a new HS tbh, bring those temps down! They're crazy high!