1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Bought SSD - right choice? (plus how to clone HDD to SSD?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 20 Aug 2010.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Hahaha - probably they did. :) Competition is always good for us :naughty:

2. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Ok, so the whole move was easier than expected. And as far as I'm concerned everything's gone nice. Using Acronis I cloned the HDD to the SSD and booted no problem. Now the question is: How on earth do I remove the recovery partition (as you can imagine I'd like to reclaim this 9GB). I already have backups and recovery DVD's so don't need it now.

Thanks for the answer.

3. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Few questions.

It says it comes with a w/ 2.5" to 3.5" bracket, just to clarify it means it comes with standard bracket like this minus the aluminium passive-cooler?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Akas...ounting-module-Black-aluminium-passive-cooler

Also do these run hot? worth getting one of them?

Sata II cables will work fine with the 60GB Corsair Force F100 right?

Also whats the difference between Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 and Acronis True Image Home 2010? they both clone your HD's right?

4. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't know about Acronis, I used True Image and no problem with that. Now, after copying 40GB didn't get even too warm. Definitely worth getting one as the system is so much more responsive. I mean everything run faster. Even websites load more promptly. Normal Sata II interface so no worries there. Fitted into laptop for now, but it comes with similar bracket you linked, just much lighter on metal. Still sturdy enough. All screws included also.

Highly recommended. I really don't understand, why would someone bother buying the Crucial SATA III SSD as it seems is slower then Sandforce. Until someone marries Sandforce with SATA III.

Scratch my previous question, already got rid of the partition. Now. Does anyone know if I can take this 9GB I have free now and add to the whole disk, not to have any extra 9GB partition on my drive? Thanks.

Also, how do you check if the TRIM is on?

Last edited: 21 Aug 2010
  5. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

6. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Did Acronis create the 9GB partition?

7. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Yes, original drive had a 9GB recovery partition, I managed to delete that. But system only allows me to create another 9GB partition now, and I want to merge it all together.

8. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

For interested people, here are some bench results. Can't do write for some reason it says write has been disabled, need to look into it. Here are the read results for now. Will update on the rest later. Plus it gives the temperature readout too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Aug 2010
  9. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Boot off the ssd, right click on Computer, Manage, Disk management, Point at the Main Partition on the old drive, Right click, Extend Volume
    :thumb:

10. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

It doesn't work, the option is greyed out:

[​IMG]

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

As someone already mentioned, as long as its not SF1500 it will be fine.

Check to make sure its got a SF1200 in it.

12. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

The problem is you can't extend a partition if theres a partition in the middle. I don't think you can get away with deleting that system partition,

Can you extend the system partition?
    I'm thinking make it 9.03gb. You then need to assign it a drive letter, then Defrag it with something like JKDefrag to move the files to the front. then shrink it back down to 25MB. Now then the free space will be in the middle next to the C: Drive, and you can then hopefully add it on.

I thought you said the 9Gb was on the old hard drive. The drive your modifying must not be the C: Drive. If it is, boot off the other drive with the drive that needs modifying also attached.

13. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Stop reading threads you don't care about and then trolling them.

14. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Chill, dude. Ph4ZeD had a point, the SSD/HDD debate has been beaten to death and is revived and beaten to death again every time something new happens in the SSD world - like the SandForce controller thingy. If anything, you being so confrontational over nothing is more aggravating than his contribution to this discussion.

On-topic: aside from your benchmark results, have you noticed any real-world improvement in snappiness after getting your SSD? My personal experience with my X-25M gen. 1 has been nothing short of wonderful. I did a fresh Windows reinstall the other day, and my six-month-old install was just as fast as a brand new one out of the box. Incredible.

15. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

25MB is a system reserved partition, one Windows 7 creates on it's own during the install, so this can't be removed. I tried every other way and nothing works. Maybe there is other software that will let me change all that, Partition Magic maybe? Any other ideas? Well if all else fails I can always shrink main partition containing Windows 7 to like 20GB and create another one from whatever is remaining. That should have enough space for Mass Effect 2 and maybe even Left 4 Dead 2 as well :). That could keep me going for some time.

16. doom34

doom34 What's a Dremel?

I`ve just installed the Crucial C300 256mb in my dell M1730 and boot times have gone from 2-25 (got alot of stuff !) to 43 secs this has to be the best purchase I`ve made.

17. doom34

doom34 What's a Dremel?

Also used Acronis Home image 2010 which worked 1st time in cloning the original disc

18. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Are you on commission from Crucial to type randomly in as many threads as possible?

19. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Synay are you connected using AHCI and using the right Sata ports? I read that AHCI is the recommended way to use the Corsair SSD F60 so I switched to that and got the advertised speeds. Took me awhile to figure this all out, first I was connected fine via AHCI but because I was using the wrong Sata ports was getting 150mb max read and write off ATTO.

Using IDE my results were 250mb read and write speed off ATTO and HDTune 200mb read average.
    Using AHCI with wrong Sata ports my results were 150mb read and write speed off ATTO and HDTune 110mb read average.

Then finally getting it right with the correct Sata ports with AHCI mode got these :D

HDTune
    [​IMG]

ATTO
    [​IMG]

20. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

How do you switch to AHCI? :worried: